Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Kansas City's Raphael Hotel joins Autograph Collection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Raphael Hotel joins Autograph Collection

The Raphael Hotel, Kansas City’s landmark property, is thrilled to announce its official affiliation with the Autograph Collection beginning on February 1, 2011...

# # #

About The Raphael Hotel: The Raphael is a one-of-a-kind boutique hotel patterned after Europe’s small, elegant hotels. It combines the charm and intimacy of a locally significant landmark with highly individualized service. Constructed as Villa Serena Apartment in 1927, the Italian Renaissance Revival style structure was designed to complement the nascent Country Club Plaza. It was reborn The Raphael in 1975 following a renovation that preserved its landmark historical virtues.

The Raphael concluded a multi-year total renovation in December 2009 at a cost exceeding the property’s original development cost in today’s currency. The project’s scope encompassed all new construction in guest rooms, including plumbing, heating, ventilation and cooling as well as new bathroom features and fixtures; completely new guest room decor, including carpet, beds and bedding, furniture, art and amenities; refurbished corridors; the addition of dedicated meeting space, including an executive boardroom that seats 12 and a meeting room that accommodates up to 40 for banquets; a new fitness center and a 24-hour business center; restoration and enhancements to the lobby; refinements to the patio; and a completely remodeled, new concept restaurant, Chaz on the Plaza. Historically significant features, including original wood millwork and travertine marble flooring in the lobby were faithfully restored. A renovation to upgrade the kitchen of its signature restaurant was concluded January 3, 2011 and a makeover of the hotel’s historic lobby will be completed in February 2011.

The Raphael, one of Kansas City’s most highly awarded hotels, is one of 62 hotels cited a top value among Travel+Leisure magazine’s 2011 T+L500 World’s Best Hotels. The nine-story, 126-room property is a member of National Trust Historic Hotels of America and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. More information is available at www.raphaelkc.com....

MEDIA CONTACTS:
The Raphael Hotel:
Rick Hughey

Autograph Collection:
Catherine Leitner
[email protected]
http://pressreleases.kcstar.com/?q=node/49039

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...i.html#REVIEWS
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Wow, a welcome addition. This is the third Marriott property around the Plaza area.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus
The Raphael, KC, MO - Experiences?

Staying there for one night in December for a work meeting. What's been everyone's experience in the past there? Tips? Platinum arrival gift? What's the deal with breakfast? Looks like there's no lounge..
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If you don't get input before your stay, please do a 'trip report' after you've stayed there so other FTers know what to expect. Thx!

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:24 am

Will do!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver Premier, IHG Platinum
I've stayed here in September for about 3 nights. They do not have a lounge. So they will give you coupons for breakfast at their restaurant. The restaurant is not a buffet style for breakfast. You can only pick one item from the menu and the coupons covers a juice or coffee and also gratuity. You can also use the coupon for one item room service.

I was upgraded to a junior suite as a gold.

It's a really nice boutique hotel. If you can, try to get a room overlooking the plaza. It's quite nice at night.

Sharon, I believe I posted in the Exec Lounge thread.
Please see post 871.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I stayed there years ago...way pre-Marriott...and was pretty disappointed in the restaurant. We had bought a dinner/stay package at a charity auction and I thought the meal was awful. Hotel itself was fine, and I'm sure the restaurant can do a breakfast without messing it up.

But I'd recommend getting out of the hotel for dinner. Not really an out-of-the-box recommendation being across the street from a couple dozen restaurants, but they go through these periods where they try to market their own restaurant as a top gourmet destination in Kansas City. It isn't, unless the transition to Marriott also brought in new management to overhaul the restaurant.

If you have a particular cuisine style you enjoy, we can probably give you some specific recommendations.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:58 am

trip report

Quick update on my experience at The Raphael this past week:

-Originally was booked for one night, tried to book for a night earlier as well. I was told there was no availability. I went for the Platinum guarantee, was denied, and sent to customer service. After speaking with customer service, they connected me with the sales manager. He agreed to let me in for the night earlier, and to do so at my company's negotiated rate (1/2 the rack rate of 279). I was very impressed.

-When I arrived, there was some confusion about my stay dates. While I had gotten an email from Marriott confirming the earlier arrival, their system didn't reflect it. I had to forward my confirmation to the desk attendant. This was a little disappointing, but nothing to stressful.

-I took the points, but the arrival gift was the option cheese and crackers, some cookies, etc AND 1/2 bottle wine, a few macro-"micro"-brews (think Sam Adams, etc), two bottles of water. Not bad.

-Bed seemed somewhat old, but I'm not picky about those things. Room was small, somewhat cramped, but all I did was sleep there. The bathroom was very nice, and well-appointed with toiletries (bath salts, etc).

-Location is great - minutes walk to all the restaurants/bars on the Plaza

-No lounge, so I got coupons for breakfast. Breakfast was very good.

-Cookies/hot chocolate available in the lobby in the evening. Nice touch.

-There are only two, very-slow-moving elevators available to go up nine floors.

-I overheard another guest confirm that he was gold and being offered a suite. I am platinum and was not offered this. Was it because I look young? Because I didn't ask? Probably the latter, but just throwing it out there.

-Complementary valet and ramp parking. The attendants were very nice and helpful.

Overall, a good stay. A few negatives, as mentioned, but there was no deal-breaker.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update!

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I stayed at the Raphael for two weeks last September. Might be the crown jewel of all Marriotts', including Ritz, in CONUS. An historic location, old building, yet EVERYTHING is updated. I can't say where to start. Super large and soft towels, windows all modern yet open, awesome and ample coffee machine and supplies (Kurig), you can walk to any possible dining option ever dreamed. I am still in awe of this hotel. It is not owned by some pension fund, is owned by an individual family.

If ever in KC, this Is THE PLACE. I found it by mistake, was staying at the FS Marriott Country Club KC, and it was brutal. I searched for a new location, all I can say is Wow. I say 200+ nights on the road- this is the understated crown jewel for people who travel for a living.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:46 pm

i did forget to mention the in-room keurig, and the towels were indeed big and soft. good points.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:34 pm

Excellent

[Reposted below due to technical issues.]

Last edited by davie355; Jul 6, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:19 pm

Excellent

The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

325 Ward Pkwy Kansas City, MO US 64112

Excellent (0 Photo)

Check In

The biggest hiccup of my stay occured here but was immediately resolved. Despite booking direct on marriott.com, my status went unrecognized, and I was told breakfast was not included until I asked specifically about Marriott Rewards. Only then did the front desk agent double-check his computer and authorize breakfast vouchers for all three guests in my room.

Any Marriott elite would be remiss to skip this breakfast benefit. It's absolutely over-the-top: any menu item (portions are huge), gratuity included—and valid for room service!

Room

Old-world charm with modern touches like a power strip built into the front of the desk for easy access. Beds were incredibly plush, much too soft for my taste but likely ideal for the average American. Duvet was thick and sheets were luxurious.

Wi-Fi is free for all guests and delivered a symmetric 10 Mbps up and down.

If I had to nitpick: the cramped bathtub area limited my range of motion when drying off after a shower.

Service

Employees were gracious and deferential but I observed minor flaws that preclude this hotel from a true luxury categorization:

• The supply of Kleenex in my room was low to begin with and was not replenished by housekeeping. (I did tip, for what that's worth.)
  • A room service tray outside my neighbors' door was uncollected for an entire day.
  • At check-in, I was informed that valet parking, which I did not use, was free and that the valets worked "on gratuity." That's tacky to say, in my view; of course the valets work for tips, and had I not known that etiquette, the hotel front desk was not the place to learn.

Dining

I had dinner, drinks, and breakfast in the restaurant. All phenomenal in taste and quality. Two caveats:

• Dinner appetizers and entrees are tiny. Literally 4 pieces of calamari, $11.
  • Breakfast entrees can take a long time to arrive. But if you're in a hurry, room service promises a 30-minute delivery window.

Just south of the Plaza and just about perfect as a base for the KC metro area.

Overall

Stately accommodations with fast internet for everyone and unbelievably generous breakfast perks for Marriott elites.

I saw an FT post in another thread drawing a comparison from this hotel to a Mandarin Oriental or Four Seasons; the Raphael is not quite there as it falls short of brutally exacting standards. But it meets every reasonable standard, given the room rates and the general caliber of the Autograph Colleciton, and is something the Marriott brand can be proud of.

Excellent

Would you like to write a review on the The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Awesome to hear. We're staying there over Labor Day weekend...the $169 rate that includes $169 of food/bev credit...so I'm especially happy to hear that the restaurant has upped its game from a few years back.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:50 am

Completed our stay over the weekend.

- The hotel and rooms are in fantastic condition. There's obviously been some renovation recently: everything was great. ^

- The "Sunday Special" - $169 room that includes $169 in food/bev credit - was well-known to the front desk and handled flawlessly without my intervention on the final bill. (Contrast to various hotels around the world where these promos often require some prodding to get billed correctly.)

- The FD Clerk said the Sunday Special has been very popular, but the hotel hadn't yet decided whether to extend it to 2017. (We'll be back if they do! Might try to hit it one more time right before New Year's if it's available...)

- The food/bev credit with this promotion applies to any charge, including drinks, tips, and tax. No hidden strings there.

- The restaurant is definitely better than it once was, although I don't personally believe it's yet among the best in KC. (It claims four stars from somebody, but I don't believe it's Forbes.) The cocktail bar and live music were wonderful. If we do this again, we'll probably just invite a couple people to have some drinks and listen to the music (a violinist and a cellist, on this particular night) and then have dinner on the Plaza.

- The hotel is a Pokestop and sitting on a Magikarp nest. I mean, y'know, according to a friend...

- Free self-parking. No hotel charge for valet parking either: just tip the guys.

- The Gold/Plat breakfast includes room service if you want it. (Restaurant if you don't.) Again, no strings attached: pick any entree on the menu, includes juice, just whatever you decide to tip for delivery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.