FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kansas City's Raphael Hotel joins Autograph Collection
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:58 am
mspflyer3

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus
trip report

Quick update on my experience at The Raphael this past week:

-Originally was booked for one night, tried to book for a night earlier as well. I was told there was no availability. I went for the Platinum guarantee, was denied, and sent to customer service. After speaking with customer service, they connected me with the sales manager. He agreed to let me in for the night earlier, and to do so at my company's negotiated rate (1/2 the rack rate of 279). I was very impressed.

-When I arrived, there was some confusion about my stay dates. While I had gotten an email from Marriott confirming the earlier arrival, their system didn't reflect it. I had to forward my confirmation to the desk attendant. This was a little disappointing, but nothing to stressful.

-I took the points, but the arrival gift was the option cheese and crackers, some cookies, etc AND 1/2 bottle wine, a few macro-"micro"-brews (think Sam Adams, etc), two bottles of water. Not bad.

-Bed seemed somewhat old, but I'm not picky about those things. Room was small, somewhat cramped, but all I did was sleep there. The bathroom was very nice, and well-appointed with toiletries (bath salts, etc).

-Location is great - minutes walk to all the restaurants/bars on the Plaza

-No lounge, so I got coupons for breakfast. Breakfast was very good.

-Cookies/hot chocolate available in the lobby in the evening. Nice touch.

-There are only two, very-slow-moving elevators available to go up nine floors.

-I overheard another guest confirm that he was gold and being offered a suite. I am platinum and was not offered this. Was it because I look young? Because I didn't ask? Probably the latter, but just throwing it out there.

-Complementary valet and ramp parking. The attendants were very nice and helpful.

Overall, a good stay. A few negatives, as mentioned, but there was no deal-breaker.