Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breakfast on weekends as Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Breakfast on weekends as Platinum

I'm about to become Platinum after my next stay. While I'm seeing that breakfast is complimentary during weekdays--is breakfast provided in hotel restaurants on weekends? I'm Hyatt Diamond and have always received complimentary breakfast either in the club lounge or hotel restaurant weekends when the lounge is closed. Thanks very much.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interntaionally most hotels provide breakfast on weekends, domestically most do not.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Interntaionally most hotels provide breakfast on weekends, domestically most do not.
I don't know about international, but I have had excellent luck getting breakfast on weekends when the lounge is closed. These are FS, non-resort properties I'm talking about.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It really depends where you stay. Here is where I have recently (in the past year or so) gotten free breakfast as a platinum member:

Tysons Corner Marriott - platinum only
Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks - platinum only
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott - gold/platinum
Fullerton Marriott at CSU Fullerton - gold/platinum
Portland City Center Marriott - gold/platinum

Now, there are plenty of properties that do not:

Washington Dulles Marriott Suites - used to until about 12/08
Fairview Park Marriott - they stopped in 2008 (I think around April or so)
Redmond Town Center Marriott - they stopped sometime in 2009
Seattle Airport Marriott - they stopped sometime in 2008-2009
Gaithersburg Marriott - never offered it (at least when I stayed in 2006)
Cambridge Marriott - used to offer weekend coupons until 2008. Before then, they also had an omelette station in the lounge.
NYC Marriott Marquis - never offered free breakfast on weekends for elite members

I am not sure for a few of them:

Renaissance LAX - used to have a lounge open 7 days a week. When they started closing the lounge on weekends and cutting back on offerings, I got breakfast coupons a few times by asking I have stopped staying at this property, however, since I have tried to fly out of SNA instead.

Manhattan Beach Marriott - the thread on lounge access and breakfast coupons on weekends does not show them offering a free breakfast. I only stayed here once on a breakfast rate so I have no personal experience as for a regular weekend rate.

Philadelphia Marriott West - they used to offer coupons on weekends to elite members, but I have not stayed here in a few years so I am not sure about their current policy.

Others offer a discount to gold/platinum members:

Seattle Waterfront Marriott - full breakfast is $5 based on the thread for lounge acces and breakfast coupons on weekends. I have only stayed here when the lounge was open on weekends (in the summer when they have a lot of business).

La Jolla Marriott - (I should add this info to the thread for lounge access.) They offer all elite members a discount for dining (all meals) in their restaurant. It is 15 %.

The reality is that it will depend on what property you stay at.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Breakfast on the weekends, either at domestic or international FS properties, is not a Platinum benefit.

As others have mentioned, one may inquire if a particular hotel might extend some additional consideration to Platinum guests, but none should be expected.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
There is a sticky at the top of this forum discussing this very topic....lounges that are open or closed on weekends and if breakfast is provided when closed.

MASTER THREAD: Domestic & International Executive Lounges Open/Closed on Weekends
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by VA1379
The reality is that it will depend on what property you stay at.
+1.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I made a habbit out of asking hotels in advance what their policy is before making reservations and depending on their answer decide to stay there or not (and let them know if not!). In some cases when breakfast was not offered sending the confirmation of a competitor yielded me a "one-time exception" that I will receive breakfast that stay.

The thing is that I am fully willing to stay somewhere else if necessary, and even among Marriott hotels there are enough alternatives offering free breakfast to everyone. But as occupancy usually is low on weekends hotels are frequently eager to fill a room that otherwise would go unrented that night for the incremental cost of my breakfast...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:11 pm

Breakfast on Weekends

Within the last few months, without asking, I was given coupons for weekend breakfasts at Mariott's Melville, New York Hotel and the Long Island Marriott, Uniondale, NY.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
Unfortunately, you only get free breakfasts when the lounge is scheduled to be open. Some may give it to you on weekends, but they are not required to do so. That is a problem with Marriott, they work toward the business person, not the family person

As an aside, my hotel does give plats weekend breakfast
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Just one of the reasons why the Hyatt program blows Marriott out of the water
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
My days working at Marriott, weekdays business travelers versus weekend pleasure travelers was night and day. We LOVED the business guys, weekends were dreaded!

I was at Courtyards. Weekenders would be staying for $39 a night (weekday rates $129) and then would come get the buffet for $9.95 each, and just demolish the place. We'd literally go thru as much food on a saturday or sunday as the full 5 days during the week. We couldn't keep eggs coming fast enough - and they let you know. We'd put out 3 waffle makers, they'd scream we should have 6.

SO to offer free breakfast at a FS or CY on weekends with these types of travelers, is just asking for problems. Sure there will be differences in properties, but overall, ugh.

Weekdays was mostly continental, a cup of yogurt a danish and coffee/juice. god we loved you weekday business travelers.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by cbechdel
My days working at Marriott, weekdays business travelers versus weekend pleasure travelers was night and day. We LOVED the business guys, weekends were dreaded!
It's interesting to hear what the insiders have to say (of course, not always...)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:23 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by cbechdel

I was at Courtyards. Weekenders would be staying for $39 a night (weekday rates $129) and then would come get the buffet for $9.95 each, and just demolish the place. We'd literally go thru as much food on a saturday or sunday as the full 5 days during the week. We couldn't keep eggs coming fast enough - and they let you know. We'd put out 3 waffle makers, they'd scream we should have 6.

SO to offer free breakfast at a FS or CY on weekends with these types of travelers, is just asking for problems. Sure there will be differences in properties, but overall, ugh.

Weekdays was mostly continental, a cup of yogurt a danish and coffee/juice. god we loved you weekday business travelers.
Thanks for adding some reality to the perception.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mdaecher
Just one of the reasons why the Hyatt program blows Marriott out of the water
Yes it seems like there is a major disparity between the Marriott/Hyatt elite benefits. Unfortunately I'm not a weekday traveler and the Marriott Platinum status won't do much for me. I'm sure this has worked for Marriott since they haven't changed. I'll try to make the best of it--however Hyatt surely is at the top of the heap in my humble opinion. Best of luck to all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.