Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD, UA SLV, MR LT PLT PRM, HH DIA, IHG PLT, SW CP, MVCI CHM LVL, HERTZ PC, National EE
Ok, so as I write this I am sitting a very nice "executive boardroom" reading the USA Today and reading FT. I called the MR customer support line to see if they could see the charge. They said that meeting recordation and crediting takes a little longer than for hotel stays. Being 11 nights short of PLT, the 10 night credit is crucial to me. So, here's hoping another classic FT recommedation pays off. First, it was MR trips to HNL with 2 hour turnarounds, then it was coins, and now I'm holding 1 person meetings. (Wifes shakes head ....)
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Originally Posted by spsawant
+1

You are right on target. She was simply jealous.
Lol. Jealous of what?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Dg....

You misread my post and took it out of context. This had absolutely nothing to do with those that are really booking meetingsnor are encouraged to book meetings because of the promo. That is the TRUE intention of the offer after all. My issue was with those who had no intention of booking a real meeting. They alluded to the fact that they would book a fake meeting for as cheap as possible just to gain the ten nights. Effectively gaining 10 nights for a 200 dollar spend when if they had actually stayed those nights they would have spent 1k (give or take). That was never marriotts intent.
Continue to flame. I have to say, I am glad I don't know some of you in 'real' life.

Originally Posted by dgoedken
Quote:
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl View Post

I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole.
You have got to be kidding me - though I have never done this - and didnt even get the nights/points on a legitimate catering event. I would never contact Marriot about it

This is the time I have reserved words I use for someone who thinks they know what's best for everyone else. Not that I intend to book 'fake' meetings, as I easily get Plat via stays, but why go to the trouble to screw over fellow FTers who have legitimate reasons for booking meetings??

Someone should have their account revoked for 60days until they can play nice with the rest of the forum and honor the code.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
I've got to say, I've grown to love calitequilasippergirl.

I'm honestly not being sarcastic at all. She is larger than life. A force of nature. A platonic form, indeed. I would be honored to meet her in 'real' life someday.

boomdog

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
Dg....

You misread my post and took it out of context. This had absolutely nothing to do with those that are really booking meetingsnor are encouraged to book meetings because of the promo. That is the TRUE intention of the offer after all. My issue was with those who had no intention of booking a real meeting. They alluded to the fact that they would book a fake meeting for as cheap as possible just to gain the ten nights. Effectively gaining 10 nights for a 200 dollar spend when if they had actually stayed those nights they would have spent 1k (give or take). That was never marriotts intent.
Continue to flame. I have to say, I am glad I don't know some of you in 'real' life.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by o2bonn
Ok, so as I write this I am sitting a very nice "executive boardroom" reading the USA Today and reading FT. I called the MR customer support line to see if they could see the charge. They said that meeting recordation and crediting takes a little longer than for hotel stays. Being 11 nights short of PLT, the 10 night credit is crucial to me. So, here's hoping another classic FT recommedation pays off. First, it was MR trips to HNL with 2 hour turnarounds, then it was coins, and now I'm holding 1 person meetings. (Wifes shakes head ....)
Keep us posted on what happens. So meeting rooms always require a contract to be signed? Or can one book through the hotel without a contract and still receive the ten nights?

I often book at an area CY property a room block of 30 rooms for 3 nights and always get the 10 elite nights credit. No conference room required. So this will be a nice little benefit if the 10 elite nights can also be earned for a separate "event" of a one-hour conference room rental. Is there a mininum time limit specified or does that vary by hotel?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: CO MR HH
It worked.

Booked the meeting room for two hours on Saturday. No catering. No guest rooms. $100.00

My account was credited today for 300 MR points AND 10 Elite nights.

You can not book this on the web site. You have to be sent a contract to sign and return. But it's an easy process.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:05 pm

"... and in other news Marriott's booking of conference rooms at Courtyards and Fairfields Inn has shot up 8,000% since last month...."
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by mikesimm
It worked.

Booked the meeting room for two hours on Saturday. No catering. No guest rooms. $100.00

My account was credited today for 300 MR points AND 10 Elite nights.

You can not book this on the web site. You have to be sent a contract to sign and return. But it's an easy process.
Did you show up for the meeting?

How long did it take from your meeting to when the points and nights were logged.

I'm sat in my meeting room right now, but then I was already staying at the hotel. And you're right, I signed the contract and it took me a couple of minutes.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Ugh. Did a last minute meeting in the local Courtyard. Went to settle up, asked about the points / meeting matters promo and the GM said "I'm just going to manually post the points like I would if you had stayed here." I didn't press, but I guess I need to move out of the suburban courtyards to get this done the right way.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: CO MR HH
The meeting was booked for last Saturday. The Elite night credit of 10 nights was in my account on Monday.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by mikesimm
The meeting was booked for last Saturday. The Elite night credit of 10 nights was in my account on Monday.
I had my meeting last night. Received the folio by email this morning and the 10 night credits are now in my account.

Now to find the cheapest possible meeting space...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dingo
Ugh. Did a last minute meeting in the local Courtyard. Went to settle up, asked about the points / meeting matters promo and the GM said "I'm just going to manually post the points like I would if you had stayed here." I didn't press, but I guess I need to move out of the suburban courtyards to get this done the right way.
Did you sign a contract with them? If so, then it should count properly, simply fax it in?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: AA LT GLD, UA SLV, MR LT PLT PRM, HH DIA, IHG PLT, SW CP, MVCI CHM LVL, HERTZ PC, National EE
[QUOTE=SkyTeam777;15009783]Keep us posted on what happens. So meeting rooms always require a contract to be signed? Or can one book through the hotel without a contract and still receive the ten nights?

(Angels singing) It worked! ^ $150 + tax = 10 nights and tripled points. I did have to call the hotel to get them to post it. I am now sitting at 74 nights. Damn that lag on the credit card $3k per night crediting! As soon as I get PLT I am getting on the red phone with HH to match. I am alredy GLD with HH but this will lock me in for Diamond (I hope). Thanks to the OP and everyone else for finding yet another way to exploit an opportunity.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
[QUOTE=o2bonn;15037219]
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Keep us posted on what happens. So meeting rooms always require a contract to be signed? Or can one book through the hotel without a contract and still receive the ten nights?

(Angels singing) It worked! ^ $150 + tax = 10 nights and tripled points. I did have to call the hotel to get them to post it. I am now sitting at 74 nights. Damn that lag on the credit card $3k per night crediting! As soon as I get PLT I am getting on the red phone with HH to match. I am alredy GLD with HH but this will lock me in for Diamond (I hope). Thanks to the OP and everyone else for finding yet another way to exploit an opportunity.
HH does staus match? Is it one of those "one year" things to get you to switch, like I heard Starwood does?

Very cool about the credit for you! Where did you have your meeting?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:42 pm

Springhill Suites close to an airport. I had the boardroom. I took all the pens and candy left out on the table - figured I paid for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.