Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
If you can't contribute to the conversation, don't post. We all have opinions and we are all entitled to share them in a mature manner which I and others have done. If you don't like my opinion, that's fine, but to tell me mine is not needed is out of line. This thread was about getting points/nights for meetings. Which I think is a great program when used correctly. I responded to those who indicated incorrect use of the program (joking or real). I don't claim to be 'more moral', i simply shared my opinion. It it appears moral, so be it. It's been a great conversation with intelligent back and forth. Let's leave it that way.

[QUOTE=lesliebmc;14666836]
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
Sorry the delay in response, needy clients
I'll try to answer each response directed at me ....

Enough. This thread is about points or nights related to MR. Please take your "moral" converstation to another thread. We all have opinions ourselves, and do not need yours here. Now back to the original thread please...
Old Sep 22, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Boraxo

If you go back to the first posts on the thread, my scenarios are NOT subjective, they are illustrative of exactly what some members stated their were going to do (joking or for real). There are a number of people who like to maintain status in multiple chains, but prefer one (maintain Marriott and Starwood but prefer Westins.) It's very reasonable to consider one of these savvy people to book 'phony' meetings to get their Marriott status so they could focus their nights on Marriott when they might have had to share the night revenue with the phony meetings.

My arguments do hold water. Maybe you should fix your glass I could care less how many people are platinum. I guess I am on of the few Platinum Premiers that actual feels like I am treated 'better' than mere Platinums - so they are competing with me (at least in my mind).

Maybe it's time to shut this thread down. I've had great converesation and back and forth. For those that have taken it to a 'different level' ... well, ........

Originally Posted by Boraxo
With all due respect that is a complete crock.

The Marriott-branded hotel is getting $200 cash for a conference room that would in all likelihood be sitting empty and not generating a dime (remember we are booking the lowest off peak usage rates at 2nd tier properties - the inner city Marriotts are likely to be too expensive). The expense to the hotel is close to zero since they aren't providing anything except air and maybe vacuuming at the end of the day.

In return Marriott Corp. is providing 10 EQN. The cost of the EQN is $0. If someone attains Plat status as a result of the EQM then Marriott may actually have a real expense but that is entirely speculative particularly for a customer that hasn't stayed very many nights in the first place (otherwise they'd already be Plat). The Plat amenities are not that costly to the hotels and I would bet they are more than happy to provide them in return for revenue from a loyal customer. It is a win-win for everyone.

Except apparently for you. Given that your arguments don't hold water, I would suspect jealousy - you resent the fact that others can get top tier status without staying 75 nights. Certainly you are entitled to feel however you want, but that doesn't mean that Marriott is somehow being shafted when people book conference rooms as EQN mattress runs.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:33 pm

Very interesting

This is really one of the more interesting threads I have seen in a while. I generally think of myself as having high morals but I am having a hard time seeing the moral problem here. Marriott gets their money and that's what they want. Whether people are sitting in that room or not... or whether it's my buddies and I doing our fantasy football draft. Whatever, they get $100 which is $100 more than they had. Plus, from a real business perspective they have got me thinking Marriott for business meetings in the future. I think this is clearly acceptable and a great way to get nights toward plat. Shoot, my kids like to use the indoor pool at the local Fairfield Inn during the winter... this might be a great way to get into the pool too!
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:07 pm

do you guys know if this would count towards one of those "spend twelve nights between october and december to mantain gold status?" Would I be able to use this promotion towards that promotion? Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HY Diamod, MR Gold, PCR Plat
Originally Posted by snowboard1219
do you guys know if this would count towards one of those "spend twelve nights between october and december to mantain gold status?" Would I be able to use this promotion towards that promotion? Thanks for your help!
According to the CSR I talked to, no. This is "bonus" nights. The challenge only counts "base" nights. Maybe you can get a different answer from another agent.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 3:23 pm

Is there a code you give when you rent the room or do you just give your MR number? Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:35 pm

On MR website it seems to indicate you need to book rooms OR food service. Has anyone gotten the 10 nights without doing food service?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Are hotels encouraging this? Maybe.

Fairfield Inn Las Vegas Airport just posted this to their Facebook page:

“For every meeting booked with Marriott, registered meeting planners receive 10 elite qualifying nights! Our meeting space starts at $200 per day!”
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:05 pm

I am in the process of booking a real meeting. Was going to do at my office. However, for $300 can have a catered lunch for 10 at the local CY, the office will pay, and I will get my 10 nights!

Oh ya, and it will look a little more professional than my office!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mapu
+1
+1

You are right on target. She was simply jealous.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:52 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I am in the process of booking a real meeting. Was going to do at my office. However, for $300 can have a catered lunch for 10 at the local CY, the office will pay, and I will get my 10 nights!

Oh ya, and it will look a little more professional than my office!
Me too planning a small do...the numbers make sense when it's a small crowd..
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Any easy way to find meeting room rates?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:25 pm

[I]Any easy way to find meeting room rates?/I]

On the meeting page, at marriott.com, is a place where you can select hotel (just like your booking a hotel room) and then you will get an email reply from the hotel. I did a couple and got it within 24 hours. Do check the list of eligible hotels for the 10 night deal as not all hotels are included. That also is on marriott.com. I would then pick a couple of marginal locations as rooms are probably cheaper there. Also, do read the rules for the 10 night deal. My reading is you need to order food also. Not sure they enforce that but that is in the rules. Have a great "meeting."
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
[I]Any easy way to find meeting room rates?/I]

On the meeting page, at marriott.com, is a place where you can select hotel (just like your booking a hotel room) and then you will get an email reply from the hotel. I did a couple and got it within 24 hours. Do check the list of eligible hotels for the 10 night deal as not all hotels are included. That also is on marriott.com. I would then pick a couple of marginal locations as rooms are probably cheaper there. Also, do read the rules for the 10 night deal. My reading is you need to order food also. Not sure they enforce that but that is in the rules. Have a great "meeting."
Here the links to the participating hotels:

US and Canada

International plus Hawaii and Puerto Rico
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWstu
Here the links to the participating hotels:

US and Canada

International plus Hawaii and Puerto Rico
The Meetings Matter promotion is a totally separate promo...

http://www.marriott.com/meetings/rewards/travel.mi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.