FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

getagb May 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29753040)
So, my $100,000 meeting is less valuable than your $100 guest room? Marriott would be foolish to do this.

I suspect if you drop 6 figures on a meeting you will be manually invited to Ambassador status even if you don't technically meet the night qualifications

pvn May 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29753040)
So, my $100,000 meeting is less valuable than your $100 guest room? Marriott would be foolish to do this.

That's like the most obtuse reading of that post that I can possibly imagine. If anything he was saying exactly the opposite.

joeags May 14, 2018 11:06 pm

If we look at the changes Marriott has made / announced recently, they are most interested in higher status to those that stay. Dropping roll-over nights, announcing a max of 15 night credits from credit cards, not continuing SPG's credit for 3 rooms per night each means less members at the higher statuses Making only the first meeting worth 10 nights follows in line, as does not mentioning a night credit for $3k spending on the new credit card.

I had read lots of complaints about lounges being packed. Limit higher status away from credit card people (Amex Plat, other CCs) and those taking short cuts would no doubt have an impact.

hockeyinsider May 15, 2018 12:04 am

Originally Posted by JackE (Post 29753166)
If you are spending $100K for a SMALL meeting room, you need to negotiate a little better.

I regularly do destination meetings and events between $30,000 and $60,000. $100,000 would be do-able.

Keyser May 15, 2018 12:20 am

Originally Posted by kauppias (Post 29752848)
Hotels tend to reply within 24hours however on The weekends that can vary. Usually if you put a request in SAT-SUN they should reply by monday. I think the meeting coordinators/sales mgr's work Mon-Fri

i put in one request on friday & another on saturday....still waiting to hear back....

craigthemif May 15, 2018 1:42 am

Originally Posted by getagb (Post 29754037)
I suspect if you drop 6 figures on a meeting you will be manually invited to Ambassador status even if you don't technically meet the night qualifications

You get base points from the meeting spend AFAIK. So you would pass the spending criteria. (but still need the nights)

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 29754210)
That's like the most obtuse reading of that post that I can possibly imagine. If anything he was saying exactly the opposite.

Indeed. But I'm not surprised that he is offended by anyone suggesting that his own issue isn't a MASSIVE DEVALUATION!!!!! If you are staying relatively few nights in hotels but earn lots of meeting nights (from proper, $$$ spend meetings), then you are barely taking advantage of the status and ought to spend some time reflecting about whether it matters much.

phltraveler May 15, 2018 6:15 am

Originally Posted by kauppias (Post 29752380)
Not everyone who plans meetings can get CC nights. All these programs are promoting CCs to get status but do not provide ways for ALOT of their
​​​​membership pool to gain those...

Atleast MR capped the amount lf nights for those.

Time will show what route they go, but I sure hope to let people know sooner then later so people can plan.

Agreed that not all can get the credit card nights, but I'm curious as to what the breakdown on property count/membership is for MR domestic US vs. international. Obviously those in the US can get the credit card. And MR needs to release details so they can plan. My guess is that other items are considered higher priority at this time.

Originally Posted by joeags (Post 29754595)
If we look at the changes Marriott has made / announced recently, they are most interested in higher status to those that stay. Dropping roll-over nights, announcing a max of 15 night credits from credit cards, not continuing SPG's credit for 3 rooms per night each means less members at the higher statuses Making only the first meeting worth 10 nights follows in line, as does not mentioning a night credit for $3k spending on the new credit card.

I had read lots of complaints about lounges being packed. Limit higher status away from credit card people (Amex Plat, other CCs) and those taking short cuts would no doubt have an impact.

Indeed. If the fancier cards (Ritz Carlton) only give Platinum after high spend amounts ($75K) and other cards only give gold after tens of thousands of spend, it will diminish elite amounts in lounges. If the credit card only gives 15 nights and the first meeting gives 10, then you still need another 25 nights to get to Plat and Lounge access. With 3 night stays (monday -thursday), 8 weeks of that would be 24 nights, and the ninth week (25th stay night) would push one over to Plat.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29754720)
I regularly do destination meetings and events between $30,000 and $60,000. $100,000 would be do-able.

I suspect rewarding events will be changed in a way that will account for your spend.

Even if you don't get the nights, an $100,000 meeting would net you 300K points on the meeting alone, and another 500K if the meeting was charged to an MR Visa (5pts/$ spent at Marriott properties) for a total of 800k, which is a pretty big incentive to continue staying at Marriott.

As I said earlier, I don't think they'll leave you high and dry on status. Even if the first meeting a year only generates 10 elite nights, they'll probably take aspects of SPG Pro (like giving an elite night to the planner for every 20 room nights your meeting generates from participants) or add nights on a spend amount on meetings.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Indeed. But I'm not surprised that he is offended by anyone suggesting that his own issue isn't a MASSIVE DEVALUATION!!!!! If you are staying relatively few nights in hotels but earn lots of meeting nights (from proper, $$$ spend meetings), then you are barely taking advantage of the status and ought to spend some time reflecting about whether it matters much.

This is a bit of a head scratcher for me too, if the credit card gives 15 nights and the first meeting gives ten, then one only needs 25 nights to get to Plat and the 5 SNAs and breakfast/lounge access. Plat Premier doesn't offer much in tangible benefits at this time (75% elite point bonus on Plat Premier, and 48 hour guarantee barely anyone uses because rack rates suck) over platinum other than the 5 additional SNAs. The breakfast/lounge benefit of plat over gold isn't that appealing unless you're actually staying regularly at hotels. So I'm not sure what all the commotion is about.

Also, if one is driving multiple $30K-$100K meetings to MR at destinations, I'm surprised that one wouldn't be considered for status on an exception basis (Plat/Plat Premier/Ambassador status, or maybe even Plat Five Star)...

Ord Liza May 15, 2018 6:18 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 29754939)
... If you are staying relatively few nights in hotels but earn lots of meeting nights (from proper, $$$ spend meetings), then you are barely taking advantage of the status and ought to spend some time reflecting about whether it matters much.

Alternatively, if one spends a lot of money on Marriott meetings, but doesn't stay as often as those who actually stay 75 nights, the member who is Platinum through meetings may be more profitable for Marriott and doesn't contribute much to crowding the lounges.

BlindPilot May 15, 2018 10:07 am

I am booking a meeting room at a Courtyard but the person I was communicating to has no idea what this Rewarding Event is. When I requested for a contract, she said she'll provide me with a banquet order that will serve as my contract. I'm not sure a banquet order is the same as a contract. Could someone please provide me with a sample contract that I can show her? You can redact personal info on the contract if you wish. I'll provide an email to someone who is willing to help me out with a sample contract. I am trying to book something for tomorrow and another one for Friday.

Thank you.

kauppias May 15, 2018 10:13 am

Originally Posted by BlindPilot (Post 29756448)
I am booking a meeting room at a Courtyard but the person I was communicating to has no idea what this Rewarding Event is. When I requested for a contract, she said she'll provide me with a banquet order that will serve as my contract. I'm sure a banquet order is the same as a contract. Could someone please provide me with a sample contract that I can show her? You can redact personal info on the contract if you wish. I'll provide an email to someone who is willing to help me out with a sample contract. I am trying to book something for tomorrow and another one for Friday.

Thank you.

Hi, I dont have a form to share but ask her how she posts the points for the meeting. If she uses the marriott group posting tool you should be fine. Alot of properties dont know the details of the program.

izzik May 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by BlindPilot (Post 29756448)
I am booking a meeting room at a Courtyard but the person I was communicating to has no idea what this Rewarding Event is. When I requested for a contract, she said she'll provide me with a banquet order that will serve as my contract. I'm not sure a banquet order is the same as a contract. Could someone please provide me with a sample contract that I can show her? You can redact personal info on the contract if you wish. I'll provide an email to someone who is willing to help me out with a sample contract. I am trying to book something for tomorrow and another one for Friday.

Thank you.

Just say you want a contract (or you are used to getting a contract) and you aren't familiar with a Banquet Order.

Keyser May 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias (Post 29752848)
Hotels tend to reply within 24hours however on The weekends that can vary. Usually if you put a request in SAT-SUN they should reply by monday. I think the meeting coordinators/sales mgr's work Mon-Fri

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 29754744)
i put in one request on friday & another on saturday....still waiting to hear back....

5 days since i sent in my first request & 4 days since my second request....haven't heard back from either marriott or any of the 2 properties....

kauppias May 15, 2018 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 29758917)
5 days since i sent in my first request & 4 days since my second request....haven't heard back from either marriott or any of the 2 properties....

Was this a International Marriott or domestic USA?

I have only had one hotel not respond that was a hotel in HKG! I requested three quotes and only two responded. ..

So far ALL domectic hotels have responded fairly fast!

Did you receive an automatic reply from the reservation system or did you reach out to hotels directly?

Keyser May 15, 2018 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias (Post 29758955)
Was this a International Marriott or domestic USA?

I have only had one hotel not respond that was a hotel in HKG! I requested three quotes and only two responded. ..

So far ALL domectic hotels have responded fairly fast!

Did you receive an automatic reply from the reservation system or did you reach out to hotels directly?

both properties are in india....i received both automatic replies from the reservation system but nothing after that....

kauppias May 15, 2018 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 29758968)
both properties are in india....i received both automatic replies from the reservation system but nothing after that....

That may prove tricky :)

I have not checked Indian properties so no experience with them but the HKG property did not respond despite multiple response so I just gave up.

If you NEED to have actual meetings there perhaps dropping a email to the GM may get some speed on your request processing