Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can points be used to upgrade a room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can points be used to upgrade a room?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
Question Can points be used to upgrade a room?

Don't know why I vaguely recall being able to do this a few years ago. For example, can I pay for a 1 BR suite at an RI and use points to upgrade to a 2 BR suite?

Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
No you can't use points to upgrade a "cash" paid room. It is possible to upgrade an award room using points though. Marriott has 5K pt upgrade certs that can be used. Check out Room Upgrade Information for the details.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!!! Just when you think you've clicked on every page at the Marriott site you get shown a new one.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I stand to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure there are hotels (primarily resorts and other properties in popular leisure destinations) where rooms or suites are available on a cash & points basis. IIRC, these rooms are technically available as points redemption but with a cash upgrade option.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by cyberdad
IIRC, these rooms are technically available as points redemption but with a cash upgrade option.
You are correct and the link I provided mentions that as a possible option as well. But the OP asked specifically about paying cash for a room and using points for the upgrade which is not supposed to be an option.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 4:08 pm
Suspended

As others have said, award rooms can be upgraded with points and/or cash. Haven't seen it the other way.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, UA Silver, MR/SPG LT Plat, HH LT Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred+
Last month on vacation with the wife (x1), kids (x3 teenagers), and dog (x1), I used Points + Extra Points to upgrade two 1BR suites at an RI in Westminster, CO to two 2BR suites.

I had to look around, as not all properties in Denver offered the 2BR suites on points. YMMV, depending upon your destination. Use marriottrewards.com to perform a search ... and I suggest stating that you have 5 persons per room, otherwise the search engine may not show you the 2BR suites (because it may not think you need a room that large).

If I remember correctly, they offered all combinations of payment:

1. $ for the room + upgrade (of course :-)
2. $ for the room + points for the upgrade
3. points for the room + $ for the upgrade
4. points for the room + points for the upgrade
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GreyGhost
Last month on vacation with the wife (x1), kids (x3 teenagers), and dog (x1), I used Points + Extra Points to upgrade two 1BR suites at an RI in Westminster, CO to two 2BR suites.
I've seen points + extra points for the upgraded room elsewhere.

Use marriottrewards.com to perform a search ... and I suggest stating that you have 5 persons per room, otherwise the search engine may not show you the 2BR suites (because it may not think you need a room that large).
I'm always searching for six (me, wife, and four sons).

If I remember correctly, they offered all combinations of payment:

1. $ for the room + upgrade (of course :-)
2. $ for the room + points for the upgrade
3. points for the room + $ for the upgrade
4. points for the room + points for the upgrade
I've never seen option #2.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by SaintsFan
I've never seen option #2.
Neither have I. Also, the Marriott webpage I provided earlier states that #2 is not an option.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
In my experience, it has not been possible to upgrade using points. Most recently I tried to do that at the Renaissance St. Petersburg, Russia.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Agree totally with Saintsfan and Hhope

Cash for room plus points for upgrade is not available...

Points for room plus cash for upgrade is and as previously mentioned it is possible to book an upgrade to a points stay at 5000 points per night...
Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Changing gears a little - is points for room upgrades something we MR members would like to see? I know I would. If given the option, whenever I travel with the family I would almost always prefer to pay for a base room and then use points to upgrade to a bigger room if given the option.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we'd all love to be able to book the cheapest room with $$$, get the night credit and upgrade on points. I think Marriott sees right thru that want.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Paying points to upgrade a cash booking could be attractive, depends on the rate set, although many Gold and Plat members would probably prefer to keep their powder dry and hope for a status upgrade, although I have paid in the past to guarantee what I want and would certainly enjoy using points for upgrading those stays, rather than cash...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.