Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Medan and gold card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I am a lowly ant
JW Marriott Medan and gold card

This hotel opened last year and is by far the number one choice in Medan.

Rates are very reasonable and the location central so occupancy levels are high.

Hotel details:

ground floor has steak house, Chinese restaurant (no pork), bakery, buffet restaurant (US$14++ b/fast, $15++/lunch, $17++ dinner; children half price), 'The Lounge' (bar).
1st and 2nd floors are ballrooms/conference facilities
3-15th floor are occupied by offices (separate entrance)
16th floor is executive lounge. We went for afternoon tea, there are beers, wines, coffee, tea, spirits, orange juice plus another, food was: fried chicken (Indonesian style), sushi, pizza, dimsum, three types of canape, some good mini burgers plus local and Western cakes. Cocktails are also served. Free wireless in the lounge, plus there are two PCs with internet (not enough). Lounge is large.
17th floor is spa with gym facilities and treatment room. Massage from about US$25++ per hour, more for more elaborate treatments. The pool is supposedly an infinity pool, and it might be nice if there were two people in it, but crowded with children, no. No landscaping, too small. Meh.
18th floor is Prime Bar
19-29th floors are rooms.

Room types:
Deluxe - 484 sqft. US$58++/US$88++ weekend/midweek rate, US$79++/US$108++ weekend rate w/ lounge access (called Executive room, but room is the same).
Executive Deluxe - 699 sq ft. US$108++/US$138++ weekend/midweek rate w/lounge access. Corner rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows on both sides
1 bedroom suite 968 sq ft US$200++
Ambassador and Presidential Suites on request

Single travellers should avoid the $88++ rate, because the Wine & Dine package is $89++ for single occupancy (inclusive buffet dinner+glass wine), the Marriotts Rewards rate spa package $85++ for single occupancy (includes 1 hour massage normally $28++) , the golf package $91++ (includes 1 round golf at Royal Sumatera). Double occupancy is $105++ for spa, $115++ for wine +dine (not worth it), and $119++ for golf.

The golf package is discounted at weekends to US$74 single, US$89 double, but the other packages are not.

In-room Internet (wired only, contrary to what is advertised) costs about $15/night, or US$5++ on a weekend room rate.

Food in the lounge was good, dinner buffet was ok, if not outstanding, draught beer was at $5++.

Marriott Medan Gold card is available at 2,300,000rp net (US$250), much like the Thai one:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-thailand.html

you get 50% off food for 2, 33% for 3, 25% for 4, 20% for 5+
card gives 2 free nights per year (weekend or midweek)
50% off rates I quote above (possibly by voucher - not sure if this is limited)
plus probably some other discounts

contact the hotel for full details.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: I am a lowly ant
well we were in the hotel today and it caught on fire (or not). We smelled smoke in the bedroom on the 19th floor, went out to see what was going on, the staff said 'Don't worry sir'.

I said 'let's get the hell out of here'. Within the next few seconds the smoke went from faint to strong in the room and we went out from the service lift. It stopped on the 17th and 16th floor, the smoke seemed to be much stronger on the 16th floor, where a shaking employee entered.

There didn't appear to be evacuation training or formal procedures, the policy seemed to be 'let's hope the guests don't notice'. We left the hotel and went far away, as we didn't want to wait and see if someone was trying to blow the place up.

We came back a few hours later, the lobby ceiling was badly damaged due to the (automated) sprinklers and nearly all the guests had left or were leaving. A few however stayed. The hotel did call other hotels for us, but they didn't pay for our taxi. They said they would charge us when their systems were back up.

The news report claims there was no fire, but only an electrical fault

http://www.antara.co.id/en/news/1271...hotel-in-medan

however, the statement that smoke reached the 18th floor is false, because it was strong on the 19th floor, and much stronger on the 16th floor. Also Indonesian police are generally untrustworthy and will make false statements to suit business interests.

A slightly different report here

http://www.mediaindonesia.com/read/2...riott-Terbakar

That said, the hotel we moved to, the Aryaduta, although having a better pool, is much inferior, with greatly smaller rooms for a very similar room rate. So I guess we will be back to the JW Marriott....
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:08 am
Suspended

this is an old thread but the only one found by search -

that being said, has anyone stayed here recently?
if so, was breakfast offered to plats only in their lounge or were you allowed to choose their restaurant (for a surcharge)?

note - already checked Sharons sticky and nothing stated regarding choice
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Just updating this thread. I stayed at the JW Marriott for three days will visiting Medan for wedding. No platinum recognition at check-in, was able to have breakfast at the restaurant in the lobby, it's a decent spread. The elevators are very slow had to wait 4-5 minutes in the lobby trying to get one each night.The rooms were comfortable but the soundproofing is horrible. Called down to the front desk to request ear plugs and the front desk agent stated he had never heard of ear plugs. My wife is a native Indonesian speaker so it was not a lost in translation moment but found the experience odd. Even with its shortcomings it is still probably the best hotel in the city.

Last edited by gpeso8; Oct 16, 2016 at 9:20 pm
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Any one stays at this hotel recently? Is it worth to pay extra to stay here compare to Fourpoints?

I am Platinum
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by lingua101
Any one stays at this hotel recently? Is it worth to pay extra to stay here compare to Fourpoints? I am Platinum
In general a JW is going to be nicer than a Fourpoints. You'd get lounge access at the JW. What's the price differential?

Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
In general a JW is going to be nicer than a Fourpoints. You'd get lounge access at the JW. What's the price differential?

Cheers.
JW is around 50% more. FP is around usd45 nett. JW usd 70.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
I'm a frequent visitor to the JW and think it's the better hotel. Had friends attending an event in Medan and were staying at the Four Points and after spending some time at the JW they ended up moving to the JW for the rest of the stay.

The soundproofing could be better at the hotel but the staff went above and beyond for me on my last trip when I ended up getting extremely ill.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I'm a frequent visitor to the JW and think it's the better hotel. Had friends attending an event in Medan and were staying at the Four Points and after spending some time at the JW they ended up moving to the JW for the rest of the stay.

The soundproofing could be better at the hotel but the staff went above and beyond for me on my last trip when I ended up getting extremely ill.
You tempted to break the stay into both hotels.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:21 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Here for 5-days (completed this morning)

-JW rate less then $60/night inc taxes/service (better then Cat 2 points).
-Upgraded to exec corner deluxe 62SM room - very spacious
-Breakfast in either restaurant and/or lounge with egg station in both Lounge open 6AM to 11PM.
-Never saw more then a handful of people and Lounge as big as JW Bangkok but with tables spaced out nicely so not on top of others; no children seen in lounge so don't know their policy
-Evening snacks changed nightly, inc chef to cook up pasta along with 2 soups, dim sum and small dishes of fried chicken cutlet or beef stew type food, but easily make dinner
-Drinks - doubles without even asking
-Due to early morning departure hotel sent up coffee and toast at 2AM
-Even though we were on 27th floor the 4AM call to prayer woke us up daily
-all Ps get -20% F&B disc in all restaurants (gold -15%; silver -10%)
-Mini bus to local Mall, but only $2 for Blu Bird taxi.
-The hotel Mini bus takes you to Centre Point Mall, but wife I both thought Sun Plaza Mall was better
-Airport transfer by Innova van by hotel around $25; meter taxi about $15.
-did not ask for late checkout as flight left at 0530
-did ask for early checkin and room ready at 1130 arrival

Originally Posted by lingua101
Any one stays at this hotel recently? Is it worth to pay extra to stay here compare to Fourpoints?

I am Platinum
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:18 am

Thanks for the detailed update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.