Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Gold Card - Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Marriott Gold Card - Thailand

I recently came accross this site:

http://www.marriottgoldcard.com/en/index.php

Anyone ever pick up one of these cards? It seems like it offers great deals, but I have no idea what the cost of the card is.

Here's the benefits specific to Thailand:

http://www.marriottgoldcard.com/en/l...php?lang_id=10

Since we are spending two weeks in Thailand for our honeymoon and one week each at two of the hotels included, this may not be such a bad idea!

Anyone have any experience with this card?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I don't know anything about it, but I sent them an e-mail asking for more info!
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:35 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I sent an email also but after reading through the T&C it does not look too encouraging.

* The Marriott Gold Card must be purchased from your country/city of residence. Proof of residence may be required prior to purchase.
Then if you go to the benefits pages for each of the individual properties it says something similar to what it says for Thailand below:

Gold Card members who have purchased their cards in Thailand are entitled to benefits available in the following cluster of hotels:
- JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok
- JW Marriott Hotel Phuket
- Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa
- Pattaya Marriott Resort & Spa
- Hua Hin Marriott Resort & Spa
- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Dining Benefits
  • One (1) 50% discount certificate on food only, valid for a table of 4, for use in all restaurants, excluding the New York Steakhouse and Tsu and Nami Japanese restaurants at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, and Trader Vic’s at Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa. Not to be used in conjunction with Marriott Gold Card or other Marriott certificates.
  • Use of Gold Card discount privilege for an unlimited number of visits to all restaurants in hotels listed above, with the exception of the New York Steakhouse, and Tsu and Nami Japanese restaurants at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok. In each of these three restaurants, members are limited to a maximum number of 16 visits in which the Gold Card privilege can be applied. Every visit is scratched off at the back of the card.
  • Gold Card discount is applied on food and non-alcoholic beverage.
  • A discount of 35% for solo dining.
  • One (1) 50% discount certificate on food only, valid for a table of eight to ten persons, for use in any restaurant, excluding the New York Steakhouse and Tsu and Nami Japanese restaurants at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, and Trader Vic’s at the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa. Not to be used in conjunction with Marriott Gold Card or other Marriott certificates.
  • One (1) 50% discount certificate on food only, valid for a table of 4, for use in all restaurants, excluding the New York Steakhouse and Tsu and Nami Japanese restaurants at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, and Trader Vic’s at Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa. Not to be used in conjunction with Marriott Gold Card or other Marriott certificates.
  • One (1) complimentary certificate for a dinner buffet for two persons, valid at Marriott Café at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok and Riverside Terrace at the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa. Beverage is not included in the complimentary meal.
  • One (1) 50% discount certificate for breakfast or lunch buffet when 2-6 people dine at The Market of the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa. Beverage is not included in the complimentary portion.
  • One (1) 30% discount certificate, valid for two to six persons, for use in the Mandara Academy of Spa Cuisine at the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa.
  • Unlimited 15% discount on all alcoholic beverages.
  • Unlimited 20% discount on pastries at Siam Deli at the JW Marriott Phuket, Numero Uno at Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa, and the Pattaya Marriott Resort & Spa. Not valid on happy hour specials.
  • Unlimited 10% discount on all banquet and catering events. Not valid in conjunction with special and corporate meetings rates
  • 10% discount on weddings.

Rooms Accommodations/ Sundries Benefits
  • Three (3) Preferential Gold Card Member Fixed Rate certificates, with each certificate valid for up to seven consecutive nights.
  • Two (2) certificates for an upgrade from a standard room to higher room category, with each certificate valid for up to five consecutive nights.
  • One (1) certificate offering a Baht 2500++ Special Midweek rate, valid Sunday to Thursday. Available only for use at Hua Hin Marriott Resort & Spa, and Pattaya Marriott Resort & Spa for a minimum of three nights, maximum of five nights.
  • One (1) complimentary day pass for two persons at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok Health Club.
  • One (1) fifteen day pass for one person at the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa.
  • Three (3) 20% discount certificates for all spa treatments.
  • 20% discount on Business Centre services.
  • 20% discount on laundry services.
  • 10% discount on Annual Fitness Club membership

Regional Program Benefits shown below:

- Gold Card discount privilege for a maximum number of 16 meals in restaurants in any of the participating hotels. The 16 meal-entitlement is represented by 16 boxes printed at the back of the card. For every meal taken, a point will be scratched off.

- Five (5) room certificates offering 50% off published rates, with each certificate valid for up to seven consecutive nights. Card and certificates are transferable.

- Additional enticements, as may be offered periodically.

- There are restaurants in some participating hotels that may offer unlimited or “scratch-free" dining to overseas members as a bonus benefit from time to time. These “scratch-free" promotions will be announced in subsequent e-newsletters.
So, some of the best benefits for those cards purchased at the hotel would not be available to those of us who reside here in the states even if we are able to purchase the Marriott Gold Card. I also have a feeling that these cards will only be available for purchase at the participating hotels, which would preclude anyone who is not a resident of one of those countries from purchasing them (See quote below). Of course we can't complain too much, because there are all kinds of Marriott promotions that are only available to US residents. So turn about seems fair.
Gold Card members enjoy privileges not only within the hotels located in cities or countries from which they have purchased their membership, but from all other participating Marriott International hotels in the Asia Pacific and Australia region.
The other thing that was quite interesting was the reference to an invitation on the Program Benefits page.
The Gold Card is purchased for a fee and is valid for a period of one year. Invitations to and issuance of Gold Cards vary from property to property.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I wrote to the "Marriott Worldwide" e-mail address linked from that site, and got a reply back almost immediately from a nice gentleman at the Brisbane Marriott. He sent me an application form, said that U.S. residents are welcome to sign up, but cautioned me that the benefits are only available in Asia. FWIW, the cost turned out to be about $200.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 5:25 am

I got the same reply from the same property. Too bad, as I would prefer to sign up via Sydney Harbour or Bangkok Marriott. The price is about what I expected for a program such as this, and is boarderline as to whether it would benefit my stay of 6 nights at SYD (award), 4 at BKK, and 3 at HKG JW (award). The regional dining benefit does not help as I will be traveling solo; but the 35% solo dining benefit at the BKK Marriott does; not to mention the 20% off spa treatments. I will have to think this one through and determine if it is worth it, but in my case with only 4 paid nights my guess is that it is not.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Huh... I sent them an email before I even posted and I have yet to get a response from anyone about this card

Any chance you'd be willing to send me a copy of the application?

We'll be spending two weeks at the applicable Marriott/Renaissance hotel, so perhaps this may not be such a bad idea?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:37 am

Programs: TG Gold, BA Gold
Were I to have the Asia version of this card, would it be reasonable to expect to use the accom upgrade for a 3 night prepaid stay at JW Phuket. Ie book the room then send an email through to say I was using an upgrade voucher. Is this how it would work? Sorry if this sounds like an elementary question.

Simon
BrisVegas
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:56 am

Short answer: I don't know

Long answer: As you can see from this thread none of us are familiar with the card other than what we have read out on the web site. You would probably do better to follow the links to the website and send an email to the Thailand property of choice and pose your question to them along with whether you may purchase the Thailand version from where you currently live, and if so how to do so and how much does it costs. Email links may be found in the Contact area of the web site which may be accessed via the contact link in the banner at the top of the web page.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:18 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
And should you decide to follow aaupgrade's advise and call. Feel more than free to report back here as there are probably others who could make use of your findings.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:37 pm

those gold cards offered in Asia-pacific are very expensive

those gold cards offered in Asia-pacific are very expensive, each card is for a particular hotel or a group of local hotels only, I heard the cost could be > $1000
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iwpingmu
those gold cards offered in Asia-pacific are very expensive, each card is for a particular hotel or a group of local hotels only, I heard the cost could be > $1000
Actually, I finally heard back from the Marriott in Thailand! The contact person was very generous. He explained that this card was for Thailand residents only, but he would make an exception as we we're on our honeymoon and staying for two weeks!

The cost is 5900 Thai Baht (app. $158 USD) and well worth it

The card and "welcome package" will be waiting for me at our hotel ^
Old Sep 29, 2006, 4:17 am

Thailand Gold Card

I've been using "Marriott Gold Thailand" cards for about three years, renewing it every year. It's a great value if you often use Marriott Hotels in Thailand. However every year the benefits seem to become less. The first two years came with a certificate for one free room night and many (can't remember how many) more room discount certificates than the 5 offered with the current card.

Technically you are suppose to be a resident of Thailand to qualify for the card. But they are flexible about this. I suppose it depends upon how many people buy the cards.

If you are staying at one of their hotels you can fill out the application for the card in their business center and can pick it up with the certificates in a couple of days (they have to have it embossed with your name, number and expiry date).

I've also used mine often to get discounts in their bakery. Hopefully this is still allowed with the next generation of benefits.

Originally Posted by Chewie
Actually, I finally heard back from the Marriott in Thailand! The contact person was very generous. He explained that this card was for Thailand residents only, but he would make an exception as we we're on our honeymoon and staying for two weeks!

The cost is 5900 Thai Baht (app. $158 USD) and well worth it

The card and "welcome package" will be waiting for me at our hotel ^
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by rogerdee123
I've been using "Marriott Gold Thailand" cards for about three years, renewing it every year. It's a great value if you often use Marriott Hotels in Thailand. However every year the benefits seem to become less. The first two years came with a certificate for one free room night and many (can't remember how many) more room discount certificates than the 5 offered with the current card.

Technically you are suppose to be a resident of Thailand to qualify for the card. But they are flexible about this. I suppose it depends upon how many people buy the cards.

If you are staying at one of their hotels you can fill out the application for the card in their business center and can pick it up with the certificates in a couple of days (they have to have it embossed with your name, number and expiry date).

I've also used mine often to get discounts in their bakery. Hopefully this is still allowed with the next generation of benefits.
They have changed it again (end of Sept was the last day where you can renew for old price)due to major complaints from Marriott HK office cos in HK they are selling for about 2x the price. The gold card in thailand now only gives 8 times vs 16 times discount meal. Cost is still the same. I have previously used them for 2 years and this is the last year i renewed.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
My card exp. 5/31/08 with no name on it.

The 50% off certs are good throuhout Asia and Australia, including Guam on published rack rates, but you have to contact the hotel directly. The certs say they are transferrable but that I have to present it with the Gold Card.

The website is: http://www.marriottgoldcard.com/en/program_benefits.php

I will try to use it in April sometime. Anyone know if you really have to show the gold card with the 50% off cert?

Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by kevino
I will try to use it in April sometime. Anyone know if you really have to show the gold card with the 50% off cert?
kevino, were you able to use the 50% off cert without showing a gold card?

Can anyone confirm one way or the other if one needs to show a gold card when using one of these 50% off certs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.