Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Phantom "Buy Back Your Status" Offer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phantom "Buy Back Your Status" Offer?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:19 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
So, is the reinstatement worth the points?

This really draws all the strings together from my earlier posts...

IS IT WORTH IT?

For Silver

Nope, the benefits are so weak that its a waste of hard-earned points, you'll never get the cost back and the status isn't valued...

For Gold

If you can use the EEO's (valid only in USA) then they make it worth it on its own.

If you can't use the EEO's then provided you stay predominantly in FS hotels where you can use the lounge facilities its still a good deal.

In all other circumstances its not worth it

For Platinum

If you stay almost 100% at FS in popular destinations for short stays (1-3 nights) at high rates ($170 night+) then its good value.

For those who mix and match a bit its borderline but the status is well recognised and that might make it worth it.

For those staying 30%+ at non FS or long term stayers its not worth it.

From my point of view this excersise has been worthwhile. As I lay in my sickbed, I am surprised by how much the analysis has changed my view of the scheme. When I started this I felt sure the Silver would be worth it, with the list of benefits and that extra 20% but didn't realise how worthless that long list really was and hadn't thought out the fact that after 10 stays you'd regain that valuable 20% anyway, so ipso-facto had only 10 nights to make the extra 7500 points. For Gold I thought it'd be very marginal and essentially rest on your own upgrade experiences. I was surprised at the value connected with the lounge and completely forgot about the EEO's which I so enjoyed using in Spring, Summer and Autumn 2009, but which I will now miss for 2010. I thought Platinum however would be a straight No-No at 40,000 points and was genuinely surprised at the value there.

So I thought Silver would be "Yes", turned out be a "No"...

I thought Gold would be a "Maybe", turned out to be a resounding "Yes" for USA but a "Maybe" for the rest of us...

And I thought Platinum would be a "No" and it turned out to be a "Maybe"...

I need to stop trusting my instincts!!!

Last edited by BrightlyBob; Feb 22, 2010 at 9:44 am
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:41 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by bk3day
Another big +1 on the thanks for the Buy Back breakdown BrightlyBob ^

I too am leaning towards the Gold buyback (w/partial point buy) with the EEOs being the biggest draw as my upgrades and lounge access (somewhat spotty record on finding either- not to mention if available- are even worthwhile) a close 2nd.

What gives me pause is iirc, EEO BOGO certs are transferable to non-Plats/Golds.

Am I correct and if so, how does that work?

Must your Elite friend who gives you the cert also make your booking?

Under whose MR #?

Finally, 2 additional data points.

US members can get the MR Signature credit card that gives automatic Silver and a free Cat5 night/year for an annual fee that's less than the buyback.

Gold & Plat members also get slightly higher promo/sometimes easier too achieve bonus offers which aren't much but should still factor a bit into the overall equation.
My main purpose for this was to examine the published elements of the scheme and compare values via that, some elements of the published benefits are tough to value, never mind the the imponderables of transferrable EEO's and Megabonuses which seemed to me to be on the edge of value differentials anyway as everyone gets them, just different offers...

The EEO's are transferrable, but I dont know how you do this. The person using them has to show up at the hotel with the printout certificate. Certainly if you have a Gold/Plat status friend who can supply a copy then the only question is how to book which has to be done via the elite line...

I didn't include the credit cards on purpose, if you have the card you'll still be Silver, but if you don't you need to consider the possible value buying the status with points. Clearly getting the card gives Silver status anyway but in the current economic climate people are finding it harder to get credit cards especially the more valuable ones that give the big bennies. Nonetheless, it remains the easiest way to get Silver status, and I think is a must for any serious MR pointshound, hence the reason why it features in my calculations for Plats...

I considered the benefit of the more generous Megabonuses for Golds and Plats but it works out that Marriott awards roughly the same amount per night to all levels. Yes, the Gold and Plats can go on to larger possible earnings by staying more but since our purchasers are buying status because they stay less often, I didn't see any benefit to them. Indeed it may be arguable that its a detriment, the current Patinum Megabonus is 35,000 points on 20 PAID nights in 3 months, that leads towards an average of 80 nights in a year. If I'm doing that each quarter I'd have stayed enough nights to requalify. Fine, a Gold can't get that offer but then what Gold would want it? They won't get the 20 nights so they get nowt, their offer based on 15 nights in 3 months or 5000 points every 2 stays is more to their liking, even if their potential to earn is less, at least they stand to reach their Megabonus. And of course for Golds and Plats its easy to switch megabonuses anyway, Golds can switch down, Plats can switch anyway they want...

It is tempting to think that a top-hole Plat megabonus once accomplished can recover the entire cost of the status purchase but that extra over the lower level can only be acheived by making the stays conversant with Plat level requirements which he's not doing...

However, if our man was confident he could do the stays in 3 months to get the 35,000 points, he could buy the status, get the Megabonus and do the nights, if he could do 25 nights (average 100 nights pa) he'd get 50,000 and the upgrade would have paid for itself with extra. Then again, couldn't our man/woman just ask for a "taste of" challenge? And of course, she/he would have got 25,000 points on his/her Gold megabonus anyway which then needs to fed into the equation...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
This really draws all the strings together from my earlier posts...

IS IT WORTH IT?

For Silver

Nope, the benefits are so weak that its a waste of hard-earned points, you'll never get the cost back and the status isn't valued...

For Gold

If you can use the EEO's (valid only in USA) then they make it worth it on its own.

If you can't use the EEO's then provided you stay predominantly in FS hotels where you can use the lounge facilities its still a good deal.

In all other circumstances its not worth it

For Platinum

If you stay almost 100% at FS in popular destinations for short stays (1-3 nights) at high rates ($170 night+) then its good value.

For those who mix and match a bit its borderline but the status is well recognised and that might make it worth it.

For those staying 30%+ at non FS or long term stayers its not worth it.

From my point of view this excersise has been worthwhile. As I lay in my sickbed, I am surprised by how much the analysis has changed my view of the scheme. When I started this I felt sure the Silver would be worth it, with the list of benefits and that extra 20% but didn't realise how worthless that long list really was and hadn't thought out the fact that after 10 stays you'd regain that valuable 20% anyway, so ipso-facto had only 10 nights to make the extra 7500 points. For Gold I thought it'd be very marginal and essentially rest on your own upgrade experiences. I was surprised at the value connected with the lounge and completely forgot about the EEO's which I so enjoyed using in Spring, Summer and Autumn 2009, but which I will now miss for 2010. I thought Platinum however would be a straight No-No at 40,000 points and was genuinely surprised at the value there.

So I thought Silver would be "Yes", turned out be a "No"...

I thought Gold would be a "Maybe", turned out to be a resounding "Yes" for USA, but a "Maybe" for the rest of us...

And I thought Platinum would be a "No" and it turned out to be a "Maybe"...

I need to stop trusting my instincts!!!
Silver and Gold Status in Europe ---useless....
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:39 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Boooma
I am guessing your problem here is coverage, rather than anything else.

It is certainly the case that even though there are approx 200 Marriotts in Europe, about 60 are in the UK, and that still leaves the UK with gaps... I think France has about 10, Germany similar, Italy about 5, same for Spain and thereafter its capital cities only for the rest of the EU. The gaps on the continent are more like yawning chasms...

However, if you're a Plat busted to Gold, or a Gold busted to Silver I took the view it could be safely assumed that your past stays took you where Marriotts are, and not to the vast areas it isn't. And where it is, Gold status has always done me very well, excellent lounges, mostly open at weekends, or replaced with vouchers, upgrades are pretty well the norm, although as I say, more about room position and view than concierge floor or suites.

To Marriotts shame EEO's have never been valid in continental Europe, which is disappointing and does leave the suspicious smell of second class membership. I, like you, know what its like to be outside the EEO's looking into the American world of plenty.

None of this however alters the fact that buying back gold status for EU residents whose travel will take them to Marriotts on a regular basis represents a good deal...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:03 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Gold at Asia properties is great and very usefull as you get access to the best lounges in the Marriott system even if you don't get a room upgrade.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7622147537990/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7623281787891/
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; United 1P; Marriott Silver; Hilton-Silver
Thanks a lot for your analysis, BrightlyBob.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:29 pm
Suspended

To Marriotts shame EEO's have never been valid in continental Europe, which is disappointing and does leave the suspicious smell of second class membership. I, like you, know what its like to be outside the EEO's looking into the American world of plenty.
Actually, Brightly, I seem to recall that EEOs used to be applicable to certain European properties, as well, but what with the dollar's significant devaluation recently, that option was not offered.

Who knows what the future will bring inasmuch as the dollar, pound and now possibly the Euro subject to signficant future gyrations, as a result of the PIGS drama that has yet to unfold completely.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:12 pm
In memoriam

Do I detect a touch of schadenfreude here?

The Euro has certainly risen so far, if it falls, it has a long way to go. Like you, us in the UK are watching the PIIGS drama unfold with some relief we're not in there, but more than a little fear for the effect it will have on our continental partners and trade...

As for EEO validity in the Eurozone, I never saw a certificate that featured an EU offering but I have only been Gold/Platinum for a couple of years although a friend who has been in MR for about 5 years did say to me that he couldn't remember continental hotels featuring on the list, but it is nice to think they did, and may hence do so again.

The last few years have certainly been an amazing ride on the currency markets, and Marriott Rewards in particular has had its financials in Europe truly tested by the combination not only of a USD depreciation but also the worldwide Euro appreciation, leaving the Dollar demoninated scheme horribly tested in the EU. Not so bad for USA tourists to the UK though as the £ has all but collapsed against the world currencies losing about 20% to the USD, 30% to the Euro and even struggling against the Icelandic Krona!!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Do I detect a touch of schadenfreude here?

The Euro has certainly risen so far, if it falls, it has a long way to go. Like you, us in the UK are watching the PIIGS drama unfold with some relief we're not in there, but more than a little fear for the effect it will have on our continental partners and trade...

As for EEO validity in the Eurozone, I never saw a certificate that featured an EU offering but I have only been Gold/Platinum for a couple of years although a friend who has been in MR for about 5 years did say to me that he couldn't remember continental hotels featuring on the list, but it is nice to think they did, and may hence do so again.

The last few years have certainly been an amazing ride on the currency markets, and Marriott Rewards in particular has had its financials in Europe truly tested by the combination not only of a USD depreciation but also the worldwide Euro appreciation, leaving the Dollar demoninated scheme horribly tested in the EU. Not so bad for USA tourists to the UK though as the £ has all but collapsed against the world currencies losing about 20% to the USD, 30% to the Euro and even struggling against the Icelandic Krona!!
No schedenfreude at all.

Just that currency markets are terribly unsettled and who knows which will be up and down in the year to come.

A search might disclose if I am correct as sometimes the selected hotels were mentioned in the EEO threads.

I seem to recall certain UK Renaissance and Marriott properties, as well as certain German Marriotts, as well.

These links clearly indicate that in the past, UK and German properties were included in the B1G1F listed hotels:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6591150-post192.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/3101513-post8.html

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Feb 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
lounge access for Gold is well worth it IMO.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
Well I am one that was offered to buy back Gold, but as my last years travel saw almost a complete drop away from Marriott I decided it wasn't worth it.

You might ask did I choose to move my stays to Hilton and IC out of spite of the Marriott product? The answer to that is a resounding no! @:-)

My reason for abandoning Marriott is for one simple reason: COVERAGE!

I had a lot of travel in the UK (outside of London) and plenty in other parts of Europe, and Marriott was consistently either (a) not present or (b) in a much more inconvenient location than HH or IC

With Hilton's reason foulplay my loyalty is slowly shifting towards IC as my main chain (this used to be my no 4 chain after HH, Marriott and SPG).

But again thank you for your analysis, a very interesting read!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:43 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
No schedenfreude at all.

Just that currency markets are terribly unsettled and who knows which will be up and down in the year to come.

A search might disclose if I am correct as sometimes the selected hotels were mentioned in the EEO threads.

I seem to recall certain UK Renaissance and Marriott properties, as well as certain German Marriotts, as well.

These links clearly indicate that in the past, UK and German properties were included in the B1G1F listed hotels:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6591150-post192.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/3101513-post8.html
Yes, this is part confusion, I mentioned earlier that EEO's were available in the UK but not on the continent, in a later post, I said none in the EU, and of course the UK is in the EU

Whoops

I have had several nice weekends on the EEO 's in the UK and certainly the link to which you refer shows the certs being valid in Dusseldorf and Budapest a few years ago, amongst others on the continent. They were also vaild in Sharm (Egypt), albiet that's not really a weekend break destination, nor is it in the EU!!

Well I do hope the EEO's will be valid in UK and around Europe next time round, they are an excellent extra to the Gold package and I may well miss them, although leisure travel has been patchy this year and on the few occasions I've had weekend breaks they've either not been with Marriott, 'cos they're not in the area I'm visiting or I've been able to secure some other excellent rate which almost matches the EEO...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.