Wiki Posts
Search

aloft Galleria, [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond
aloft Galleria, [Master Thread]

I thought I would be the first to start the aloft Houston Galleria thread.

This is a brand new Starwood hotel in Houston. Its in the Galleria area on Westheimer. I attended the Grand Opening Twist Off party this past Friday (Aug 14). Walked around and its like any other aloft.

The re:fuel is behind the check-in circle. Overpriced breakfast sandwiches, Pepsi products, and snacks await your Starpoint hungry account.

The Wxyz bar was alive and kicking. It is open daily with signature cocktails, house infused liquors, appetizers, and happy hour specials from 5-7.

The workout facility looks nice and the pool is indoors. They have a parking garage in the back of the hotel. Valet is the first four floors. Then its free parking afterwards.

And lets not forget about the interesting elevators. A staple of the aloft. Looks like movers pads are hanging from the walls of the elevator and on the bottom, wherever you step, the blue what-ever-you-call-it, moves with you.

I look forward to staying here in case I need matress runs. Most Starwood hotels in Houston (not mentioning any names, Westins!) are poorly run and overpriced.

Its time to a-go-go in Houston!!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Thank God, an acceptable Starwood property in Houston !
Old Aug 20, 2009, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by couscous
Thank God, an acceptable Starwood property in Houston !
Not to go off topic, but the Sheratons at the Galleria and Brookhollow (after renovation and pre hurricane) along with the St. Regis are acceptable properties.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I'm glad there is a more affordable Starwood property near the loop now... If only Starwood would put a hotel in downtown.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
I have to say, this property just doesn't do it for me. If you're staying alone, maybe it's fine, but for a couple having a sliding door that doesn't latch separating the toilet/shower portion from the sink portion isn't ideal, and (as someone who lives in a loft) it kind of seems like it was designed by a focus group that walked through a loft once during a real estate open house and then designed the rooms after what they remembered a couple of weeks later. Construction is ridiculously cheap looking.

It's better located than the Element Houston, but the free breakfast there and the lack of blaring music from the bar makes it seem like a better choice. Plus at the Element you can get a kitchen for the same price as the Aloft's mini fridge and coffee pot.

Also, while the Aloft's gym is fine, it overlooks the pool. That makes using the pool seem like you're being watched (you are!) and the pool only goes up to 3 feet 4 inches and is very tiny. There are lots of great seating areas around the pool, though.

Didn't use the valet parking, but the self park is $10. This wasn't posted anywhere that I saw it so it was a less than great surprise at check-out. During which, by the way, the kiosk check-out that they tell you to use did not in fact work -- because "it doesn't work certain hours" -- and evidently 8 a.m. is one of those "certain hours." You can use the kiosk to print your boarding pass, though.

For platinums: not offered an upgrade at this virtually empty hotel (but I don't know if they have suites -- didn't want to deal with it), given a platinum key holder and told I'd be given the 500 points -- no other amenity available. Didn't request late check-out.
All in all, fine for the price but not the cure-all for Houston's Starwood troubles that I had hoped it would be.

Last edited by CheapSk8; Sep 8, 2009 at 6:04 pm Reason: added info on parking and platinum benefits
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: SPG LTP (let me live my fantasy), UAL 1K/MM, SWA A-list, Alaska Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
One interesting note is that you can get "room service" from the neighboring Capital Grille. Yum. And yes, they deliver it right up to your room. Or you can just walk across the street and one parking lot and sit at the bar and drink grey goose martinis all night and then the blaring music won't bother you so much.

It's clean and new and just like any other Aloft. If the location suits you, go for it.

There is a drug store right across the street and the self parking is a no brainer. It's easy and 10 bucks.

They don't offer a breakfast sandwich with ham, but the very nice lady behind the sliding door made one for me anyway, and then she remembered and had one ready to go for me every morning. Sometimes it's the little things that make me smile.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Nice to see this property, might have to give it a try considering how disappointing the Westin Oaks is. The Westin Galleria isn't much better IMO.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:09 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I hate paying for parking for suburban properties. Is there street parking anywhere near by?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cur
I hate paying for parking for suburban properties. Is there street parking anywhere near by?
Not really. And it's technically not a "suburban" property.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:44 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Not really. And it's technically not a "suburban" property.
true. galleria is not suburban by iah standards. what i meant to say was "i hate paying for parking in areas where parking on nearby private property is free".

google streetview shows me a few possibilities on the street, i'll report back!

Last edited by cur; Jun 14, 2011 at 2:50 pm Reason: on the street
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Any recent reports here? Just snagged a $52 rate for this coming Sunday

ETA: parking is now $18 in the garage, but with the $52 AAA Hot Rate, still a great deal. Hotel floors smelled damp and gross, but rooms thankfully were fine. Platinum breakfast voucher covered $30 of stuff, a nice option instead of 250 points. Good location. Good A/C. Not much else to say.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Feb 19, 2018 at 5:29 pm Reason: Post stay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.