FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - aloft Galleria, [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Sep 4, 2009, 9:33 pm
CheapSk8

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
I have to say, this property just doesn't do it for me. If you're staying alone, maybe it's fine, but for a couple having a sliding door that doesn't latch separating the toilet/shower portion from the sink portion isn't ideal, and (as someone who lives in a loft) it kind of seems like it was designed by a focus group that walked through a loft once during a real estate open house and then designed the rooms after what they remembered a couple of weeks later. Construction is ridiculously cheap looking.

It's better located than the Element Houston, but the free breakfast there and the lack of blaring music from the bar makes it seem like a better choice. Plus at the Element you can get a kitchen for the same price as the Aloft's mini fridge and coffee pot.

Also, while the Aloft's gym is fine, it overlooks the pool. That makes using the pool seem like you're being watched (you are!) and the pool only goes up to 3 feet 4 inches and is very tiny. There are lots of great seating areas around the pool, though.

Didn't use the valet parking, but the self park is $10. This wasn't posted anywhere that I saw it so it was a less than great surprise at check-out. During which, by the way, the kiosk check-out that they tell you to use did not in fact work -- because "it doesn't work certain hours" -- and evidently 8 a.m. is one of those "certain hours." You can use the kiosk to print your boarding pass, though.

For platinums: not offered an upgrade at this virtually empty hotel (but I don't know if they have suites -- didn't want to deal with it), given a platinum key holder and told I'd be given the 500 points -- no other amenity available. Didn't request late check-out.
All in all, fine for the price but not the cure-all for Houston's Starwood troubles that I had hoped it would be.

Last edited by CheapSk8; Sep 8, 2009 at 6:04 pm Reason: added info on parking and platinum benefits