Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Sohna-Gurgaon Resort & Spa, India [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Sohna-Gurgaon Resort & Spa, India [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:46 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by SportsTech
I stayed in the Maurya on my first trip to Delhi, fine hotel. Traffic to Gurgaon was horrific (one morning we travelled at the same pace as the elephant that was walking down the freeway...and that was the fastest pace we saw all week). Have stayed at the Crowne Plaza since; really nice hotel, and 5-15 minutes from many Gurgaon arms of international businesses. Wish CP/Priority Club points were more useful to me, but crawling across Delhi was simply to painful to justify staying in town.
Just out of interest....what sort of journey times were you experiencing from Maurya? I would like to find out if I was just lucky with 30 minute journeys back in June.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Thanks again for all the feedback. I guess I am a little confused by the conflicting information about commute times between Gurgaon and the ITC Maurya in Delhi.

I need to go to Sector 32 in Gurgaon daily for about 2 weeks and want to minimize the time spent in traffic. We booked the Westin because we thought it would save us a lot of time. Is this true or not? I really have no concept of where things are and commute times in the real world when taking into account traffic.

I'd prefer of course to stay at the ITC Maurya for a variety of reasons (better hotel in general, food, availablity of things outside the hotel, etc.).

How long would it take to get from the ITC Maurya to Sector 32 and how long would it take to get from the Westin Sohna to Sector 32?

Thanks again for any additional insight you can provide. I've never been to India and am hoping to have somewhat of a refuge in any hotel that I end up in. I've read lots about the lizards and even rats at this hotel on Tripadvisor - somewhat concerning.

Last edited by troyb; Aug 2, 2009 at 8:14 pm
Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by troyb
Thanks again for all the feedback. I guess I am a little confused by the conflicting information about commute times between Gurgaon and the ITC Maurya in Delhi.

I need to go to Sector 32 in Gurgaon daily for about 2 weeks and want to minimize the time spent in traffic. We booked the Westin because we thought it would save us a lot of time. Is this true or not? I really have no concept of where things are and commute times in the real world when taking into account traffic.

I'd prefer of course to stay at the ITC Maurya for a variety of reasons (better hotel in general, food, availablity of things outside the hotel, etc.).

How long would it take to get from the ITC Maurya to Sector 32 and how long would it take to get from the Westin Sohna to Sector 32?

Thanks again for any additional insight you can provide. I've never been to India and am hoping to have somewhat of a refuge in any hotel that I end up in. I've read lots about the lizards and even rats at this hotel on Tripadvisor - somewhat concerning.
ok, having lived in delhi most of my life, i have a pretty good idea what the traffic is like....on a normal day it would take you over an hour to get to sector 32 from the westin & about 40 minutes from the itc maurya....if you encounter bad traffic during rush hour then i would more than double the time it takes you from either hotel....if you don't want to spend time in traffic then i would suggest the trident, its a great hotel....if you don't mind spending 40 minutes to an hour on the road each way then stay at the itc maurya....& i have never come across lizards & rats at any one of these hotels....

Last edited by Keyser; Aug 5, 2009 at 7:19 am
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:26 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I read these last posts sitting in front of the ITC Maurya today in traffic on the way from the airport to the Le Meridien. I stay at the Le Meridien rather than the ITC Marya for two reasons:
  1. The lounge is much more comfortable.
  2. The price is typically better.

Today I traveled from the Le Meridien to Sector 53 setting out at 12:40PM and I arrived at 1:22PM. This journey is a bit longer than the journey from the ITC to Sector 32. So had I set out from the ITC I'd likely have reached Sector 32 in perhaps 30 mins. This was mid-day with no traffic.

On the way back I left Sector 53 at 6:11PM and by 7:07PM I was sitting in front of the ITC Maurya. Another 10-15 minutes and I was at the Le Meridien.

I don't always go to Gurgaon when I'm in Delhi as I have meetings elsewhere as well. I don't mind the time in the car typically as I find it a good time to catch up on phone calls or have conversations with colleagues if traveling together. My commute at home is 45 mins to a bit over an hour and I'm the one driving. Here I can nap in the car if I am feeling beat.

If your main concern is the commute then I'd suggest the following alternatives:
  • Leela Kempinski - I have colleagues that have stayed at this new property at the toll booth and have been amazed by the property.
  • Crowne Plaza Gurgaon - This property will be probably the closest for you and it appears to be an ok hotel. I've only been in the lobby.
  • The Trident (formerly Hilton) - This is one of my favorite properties. I haven't stayed there since mid-2005 due to the price. I got it for $180 in March 2005 and by November they wanted $305+
  • Park Plaza - Not a terrible choice.
  • Westin Gurgaon @ IFFCO chowk - Just need to postpone your trip by a year or so

BTW I hear they have horses at the Westin Sohno-Gurgaon. Try it out over the weekend of your two week trip perhaps.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:12 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
I don't know if you've already made your travel plans or not....after reading and contributing here, I asked a close friend of mine in Delhi who does an almost identical trip daily. His info would concur with yosithezet.....and he would also recommend Maurya.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
once again....maurya, if you want to stick with a starwood property....trident if you don't want to spend time in traffic....
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just wanted to check if anyone has stayed here recently....

my last stay at this property was almost 8 years ago but i'm considering booking about 10 rooms here for a special event later this month....
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Funny to come across this post. I was the OP almost 9 years ago exactly. It was my first trip to India - ironically, I never made it to the Westin Sohna, but have ended up in India more times than I can count!

My prefered hotels in Dehli ended up being the ITC Maurya and Grand Hyatt. Not a big fan of the Le Méridien. Liked the JW Marriott by the airport last year.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i ended up booking 8 rooms at this property for next weekend....will post an update after my stay....
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by troyb

I visit our office in Gurgaon (Sector 32) twice a year (2 weeks each time) for the last 3 - 4 years.
My hotels of choice (I am a SPG Plat) are:
1. Westin Gurgaon (Travel time to Sector 32: 15 - 20 mins)
2. Le Meridien Gurgaon )Travel time to Sector 32: 20 - 25 mins)
Both are awesome!. Le Meridien is a bit cheaper than Westin. Food choices are excellent at both hotels and they have a evening buffet with a wide variety of food (included for Plats). The Le Meridien is smaller than the Westin and I like the part that it takes me a few seconds to get in and out of the hotel (vs. the Westin which is a few mins at least from the main road)
The most happening place in Gurgaon (Cyberhub) is a very short distance from the Le Meridien
This time I am planning to try the Courtyard (travelling next month).
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Keyser
i ended up booking 8 rooms at this property for next weekend....will post an update after my stay....
how did the stay go?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Originally Posted by chanp
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedhttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedhow did the stay go?https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
very good....i have stayed here a couple of times since then as well....

its a great place to escape for the weekend....all the rooms are very well laid out & quite spacious....there are tons of activities for people of all ages & their spa is great....you can spend an entire weekend as this property & still won't be able to complete half the activities they have on offer....

food options were very good & they even managed to prepare a special menu for us for my event....

let me know if you have any specific questions....
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:25 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

very good....i have stayed here a couple of times since then as well....

its a great place to escape for the weekend....all the rooms are very well laid out & quite spacious....there are tons of activities for people of all ages & their spa is great....you can spend an entire weekend as this property & still won't be able to complete half the activities they have on offer....

food options were very good & they even managed to prepare a special menu for us for my event....

let me know if you have any specific questions....
Thanks for the feedback.

My normal butler at the STR in mumbai is now or soon to be the front desk manager. Never looked at this property before but if I do fly through DEL, will pop in for a night or two.

Stay safe and be well

C
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chanp
Thanks for the feedback.

My normal butler at the STR in mumbai is now or soon to be the front desk manager. Never looked at this property before but if I do fly through DEL, will pop in for a night or two.

Stay safe and be well

C
keep in mind though that this place is about 2 hours outside of delhi....from the airport it will take you about an hour & a half....
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:33 am

keep in mind though that this place is about 2 hours outside of delhi....from the airport it will take you about an hour & a half....
Yea

But if you think it's a nice getaway from the busy city, may do a few days.

Sometimes it's nice after a few days in Delhi to chill out a bit.

Would want good food/drinks and a place to relax. Did you do any spa treatments?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.