Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Sohna-Gurgaon Resort & Spa, India [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Sohna-Gurgaon Resort & Spa, India [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2009, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Arrow Westin Sohna-Gurgaon Resort & Spa, India [Master Thread]

Has anyone stayed here...ever? I searched and couldn't find anything.

Seems that I have to stay here for a couple weeks rather than in Delhi since my client is located in Gurgaon. Just trying to set my expectations for both the hotel and the surrounding area appropriately.

I appreciate any comments - I'll be posting my experiences in a few weeks.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite for Life, Hilton Diamond, United Silver
I would be interested in a response too.
I will be here 5-12 Sept. Used to stay at the Hilton
in Gurgaon, which was lovely, but as it is no longer
a Hilton myself and my team have chosen to stay at
this starwood property...
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:47 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by bedasaka
I would be interested in a response too.
I will be here 5-12 Sept. Used to stay at the Hilton
in Gurgaon, which was lovely, but as it is no longer
a Hilton myself and my team have chosen to stay at
this starwood property...
This Westin Sohna property is quite literally in the middle of nowhere. I would not recommend it at all if you were heading to Gurgaon on business. The ONLY advantage is that you escape the notorious Delhi - Gurgaon traffic, that's all.

That said, there are plenty of other properties conveniently accessible to Gurgaon including the Radisson (airport), the SPG Maurya, and Taj Palace. Within Gurgaon, also consider Crowne Plaza, Trident (formerly Hilton), and Park Plaza.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:35 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
I stayed there in June. For Gurgaon, don't stay here. As the previous poster has already noted, it truly is in the middle of nowhere. To give you an idea of location, the Metropolitan mall in Gurgaon is 25(-ish) miles from this hotel.

There are properties actually in Gurgaon that are worth considering, or, stay in Delhi. There are hotels there with good access to Gurgaon. Also, do note that the road to the Westin is very very poor. You drive very slowly for several kms to get there. It's isn't a quick drive....you would fare better struggling through Delhi traffic to get to Gurgaon.

The hotel itself is ok. Food is good. The pool was closed the day I was there. I was told by the friend I was with that the spa was excellent.

I would say the service is quite poor. You would think that there would have been enough time by now to sort out teething problems, however, some staff were excellent, others were so indifferent, they were poor beyond belief.

I also have a little thing about geckos....and didn't appreciate them being in my room, bathroom, etc.. I know I sound like a sissy, but I would call for housekeeping to remove them....they were not really very concerned....sent someone about an hour after I called.

If you have business to get to in Gurgaon, I probably would avoid this place. If you just want to get away and relax, you could consider it.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:41 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
That said, there are plenty of other properties conveniently accessible to Gurgaon including........the SPG Maurya, and Taj Palace.
++++1
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:02 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I came across someone this weekend that booked it by accident when their business was in Gurgaon. He said it took him 45 mins to get to Gurgaon in the morning.

Otherwise he said it is a nice place and definitely a good property to escape to for a weekend.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.113 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Ok this isn't good. The main reason we booked here is to be close to our office but apparently this hotel is not.

What hotels in Delhi are closest to Gurgaon and how long will the drive be with traffic.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've stayed here a couple of times....its a great place to escape for the weekend....but as mentioned before in this thread, it is in the middle of nowhere....it would take you at least an hour to get to gurgaon....if you want to stay in gurgaon then i would suggest the trident....have put up a bunch of clients here in the past....its a great hotel & i think its become better ever since their tie-up with hilton ended last year (nothing against hilton, i end up staying at hilton properties quite a bit)....if you want to stick to a spg property then i would suggest either the itc maurya (20 minutes from gurgaon) or the sheraton (25 minutes from gurgaon)....although the itc maurya is much better in my opinion....
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by saad
i've stayed here a couple of times....its a great place to escape for the weekend....but as mentioned before in this thread, it is in the middle of nowhere....it would take you at least an hour to get to gurgaon....if you want to stay in gurgaon then i would suggest the trident....have put up a bunch of clients here in the past....its a great hotel & i think its become better ever since their tie-up with hilton ended last year (nothing against hilton, i end up staying at hilton properties quite a bit)....if you want to stick to a spg property then i would suggest either the itc maurya (20 minutes from gurgaon) or the sheraton (25 minutes from gurgaon)....although the itc maurya is much better in my opinion....
Maurya is about 25 minutes without traffic, Sheraton is 1-2 hours from Gurgaon on a normal day. Be warned...

(I'd go stay at the Maurya, just for the restaurant options... http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...propertyID=423)
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Maurya is about 25 minutes without traffic, Sheraton is 1-2 hours from Gurgaon on a normal day. Be warned...

(I'd go stay at the Maurya, just for the restaurant options... http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...propertyID=423)
Getting a bit OT but we will be in Sector 32? How does that affect things?

Also, what do you think the commute from the ITC Maurya would be with normal weekday traffic?
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Sheraton is 1-2 hours from Gurgaon on a normal day. Be warned...
i completely disagree....the sheraton in saket is just 5-7 minutes from the mehrauli-gurgaon road....from there it takes 20 minutes to get to gurgaon....unless you are traveling during peak hour traffic....then even a kilometer can take you an hour by road....
Old Aug 2, 2009, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyb

Also, what do you think the commute from the ITC Maurya would be with normal weekday traffic?
if i remember correctly sector 32 is right off the delhi-jaipur highway, so your best bet would be the trident (10-15 minutes) or if you still want to stick to spg then the itc maurya (35-40 minutes)....the sheraton would take you close to an hour....
Old Aug 2, 2009, 10:51 am

i completely disagree....the sheraton in saket is just 5-7 minutes from the mehrauli-gurgaon road....from there it takes 20 minutes to get to gurgaon....unless you are traveling during peak hour traffic....then even a kilometer can take you an hour by road....
Adding my two cents worth.......during rush hour, I've taken 1.5-2 hours to get to Gurgaon from the Sheraton. It's never taken me more than half an hour from the Maurya. I didn't like the Trident personally....and there's good Plat recognition at the Maurya.

However, with all that said and done, remember, it's unbearably hot there at the moment.....you may want to pick whatever leaves you in a car for less time (that would be the Trident). I would still stay at the Maurya though.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 10:57 am

if i remember correctly sector 32 is right off the delhi-jaipur highway
Yes it is - both Sohna Road and Jharsa Road take you right in from the highway.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by troyb

I stayed in the Maurya on my first trip to Delhi, fine hotel. Traffic to Gurgaon was horrific (one morning we travelled at the same pace as the elephant that was walking down the freeway...and that was the fastest pace we saw all week). Have stayed at the Crowne Plaza since; really nice hotel, and 5-15 minutes from many Gurgaon arms of international businesses. Wish CP/Priority Club points were more useful to me, but crawling across Delhi was simply to painful to justify staying in town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.