Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Closing: JW Marriott Ihilani (@ Ko Olina) -- Oahu, Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closing: JW Marriott Ihilani (@ Ko Olina) -- Oahu, Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by DLBurns
James I sent you an email with more specific questions. We will be there in April from the 9th -16th.
Really looking forward to it.
Dave
Dave, I didn't receive any e-mail from you. I did get one from another FT member, but his name wasn't Dave ! Perhaps you entered the wrong e-mail address. Mine is [email protected]

I'll be checking this message board for a few more days in any event, so you can post any questions here if you'd like. I just put my e-mail address in the event someone has a question later on when I won't be watching this FT forum as closely.

Still having a wonderful stay. Unfortunately, we've got a bit of rain this morning after 5 days of clear, sunny weather.

Jim
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:04 pm

Programs: marriott rewards
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Dave, I didn't receive any e-mail from you. I did get one from another FT member, but his name wasn't Dave ! Perhaps you entered the wrong e-mail address. Mine is [email protected]

I'll be checking this message board for a few more days in any event, so you can post any questions here if you'd like. I just put my e-mail address in the event someone has a question later on when I won't be watching this FT forum as closely.

Still having a wonderful stay. Unfortunately, we've got a bit of rain this morning after 5 days of clear, sunny weather.

Jim

Just tried to send it again Jim using your link. The email will come from DLBurns36
Thanks
Dave
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:32 pm

Dave, this is very strange but I still didn't get the e-mail from you. Perhaps there is some problem at AOL or with your ISP, although I seem to be getting a lot of other mail. Why don't you just send a private message to me here on FT - hopefully that will work.

Jim
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Dave, this is very strange but I still didn't get the e-mail from you. Perhaps there is some problem at AOL or with your ISP, although I seem to be getting a lot of other mail. Why don't you just send a private message to me here on FT - hopefully that will work.

Jim

????
PM sent
Thanks Jim

Dave
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:38 pm

OK- answered you by PM. Hope you got the info.
Jim
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoyed LT Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
We've stayed at the Ihilani five times in the last two years and definitely agree with you. Our last trip was split between the Halekulani & the Ihilani, and overall we found the Ihilani a much more pleasant experience (though the spa & restaurants at the Halekulani are far superior).

Especially as return guests, the service is always outstanding & the growing Kapolei area offers a surprising number of dining & retail options (our favorite, recommended by the valets, is En Fuego plate lunch).
Old Mar 28, 2005, 4:33 am

We just got back 2 weeks ago from a 10 day stay. Cashed in 400,000 Marriott points for the room + Marriott Checks. This was our 2nd visit.

We got a car for two days so got out to see what little we haven't already seen on Oahu. It was good to be able to drive into town for more food options than just what the hotel offers.

We're considering retiring to Hawaii - still at least 10 years off.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by oodude69
We just got back 2 weeks ago from a 10 day stay. Cashed in 400,000 Marriott points for the room + Marriott Checks. This was our 2nd visit.

We got a car for two days so got out to see what little we haven't already seen on Oahu. It was good to be able to drive into town for more food options than just what the hotel offers.

We're considering retiring to Hawaii - still at least 10 years off.
What other food options are available in town?? Breakfast places or decent dining??
Dave
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by DLBurns
What other food options are available in town?? Breakfast places or decent dining??
Dave
Check Chowhound.com - Elsewhere in America Board - tons of options on Oahu & in Honolulu.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Marriott.com and a Misleading Picture of the Ihilani? Common?

I was looking to book a few nights at a Marriott hotel (would be my first time--normally an SPG/HHonors kinda guy), but saw the picture of the JW Ihilani on the front page which struck me as weird...

Here's the picture:
http://marriott.com/propertyimages/h...ur01.jpg?Log=1

However, there are no mountains right behind the Ihilani hotel!

I tried a Google search for the hotel and saw several variations of the coastline behind the Ihilani as well:
http://images.gta-travel.com/HH/Imag.../KAPLJWM52.jpg

This is how the Ihilani actually looks:
http://www.alohaconnect.com/business...ticultural.jpg

Note that the mountains right behind the Ihilani are never that green--the Kapolei/Ko'olina area doesn't get enough water to make the mountains that "plush."

Does Marriott.com always forge their hotel pictures to make the hotel look more grander?
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:12 pm

Ha, it does appear more green than I've ever seen it-- but who knows. I think there is more rain in the Fall months so maybe they get green. Still is a great resort. I never look at those mountains anyway. Views from oceanview/oceanfront rooms are of either the ocean (and the timeshare in the distance) or the ocean and green mountains up at the northwest end.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Probably simply a purchased "stock" image

Having never been to this property (and simply looking at your quoted picture links), it appears to me by a side-by-side comparison in photoshop, that the first and second links are the same photograph, with Marriott's image being a tighter crop than gta-travel's image.

The clouds and water ripples are almost identical in each image, and the shadows also appear identical (same exact time-of-day), once you adjust the brightness and contrast of each to bring them close together in appearance.

I would say that neither site originated the image; it was simply bought from an agency or stock archive, and manipulated by each site's graphic team or site developer to meet their needs/desires.

I should add that photographs taken from the exact same location and vantage point can often appear vastly different (backgrounds apparently either nearer or farther), depending on the perspective afforded by different lens focal lengths and camera medium (35mm vs. medium format, etc etc).

Of course, all of this doesn't account for the differences in the foliage appearance, although one can photoshop an image easily to 'punch up' the color, so that might explain the greener vs. browner of the first two links, even allowing they are likely the same original image.

Last edited by omahajim; Jun 19, 2005 at 10:51 pm Reason: correction
Old Jun 20, 2005, 4:46 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
They all do it...

Case in point the ORLANDO Renaissance Airport. The pictures on Marriott's site make it look pretty nice with the associated "lake" in front looking pristine. In reality the hotel is a dump and the "lake" is actually a small green water nasty pond. Its amazing what marketing people can make their hotels look like.

I can't think of a single hotel chain where you actually see it as it actually is, although the Ihilani is by far one of the closest resorts to match the pictures of any I have been to.

--DD

Last edited by Dudleydog73; Jun 21, 2005 at 2:08 am Reason: Changed to the right hotel.. Sorry Tampa!
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:01 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Dudleydog73
Case in point the Tampa Renaissance Airport. The pictures on Marriott's site make it look pretty nice with the associated "lake" in front looking pristine. In reality the hotel is a dump and the "lake" is actually a small green water nasty pond. --DD
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I understand that a hotel in a shopping center parking lot (even a shopping center with a Neiman Marcus) is not everybody's cup of tea, but dump it's not. (I assume your reference is to the Renaissance Tampa Hotel International Plaza, which is about five minutes from the airport.)
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I have to agree...The Ren. International Plaza that you refer to is definitely not a dump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.