Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hawaii (all islands)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hawaii (all islands)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Kauai has a lot going for it as an Hawaiian Island, but with St. Regis Princeville out, not sure Marriott properties are spectacular. I haven't been to the Sheraton (stayed at the Hyatt on Poipu Beach), but the location should be decent.

Our favorite island is Oahu, because of the variety it offers and it is a better value because it is where a lot of Hawaiians actually live. There are options beyond just expensive F&B at the resorts. The best beach and best snorkeling on Oahu are both not at a resort (any resort) though. I like Kailua Beach Park and Hanauma Bay, both of which require some form of transportation to get to.

We are owners at the Ko Olina Beach Club, which you can stay at using points, but no plat amenities. Also, the resort is pretty far from everything else on the island, and perhaps a bit too family friendly (i.e. boring for an adult couple). I also lament the loss of the Ihilani hotel (formerly a JW Marriott, now a Four Seasons).

If you are doing two islands - I think Kauai + Oahu would be great. If you pick only one island, I think Maui is a good compromise. Maui feels very polished for tourism, and felt like it was priced to match.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:16 pm

I guess it was fortuitous this thread had a recent post because I just stumbled upon something that kind of changes what I might do with my Amex Bonvoy card. After the recent devaluations put, what I thought was all the Oahu Bonvoy properties outside of the 35K range, I just saw that there was a Courtyard on the North Shore and a soon to be opening Residence Inn in Kapolei. Anyone have any information as to what category the RI will end up being when it opens, supposedly October 2019? The Courtyard on the North Shore would be a decent option on a staycation, but Kapolei definitely has more to do for the kids. The availability of the two options, and I guess the possibility that off-peak rates might actually exist to allow me to use the 35K certificate in Waikiki is making me think I might actually keep the card.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by HIFlya
I guess it was fortuitous this thread had a recent post because I just stumbled upon something that kind of changes what I might do with my Amex Bonvoy card. After the recent devaluations put, what I thought was all the Oahu Bonvoy properties outside of the 35K range, I just saw that there was a Courtyard on the North Shore and a soon to be opening Residence Inn in Kapolei. Anyone have any information as to what category the RI will end up being when it opens, supposedly October 2019? The Courtyard on the North Shore would be a decent option on a staycation, but Kapolei definitely has more to do for the kids. The availability of the two options, and I guess the possibility that off-peak rates might actually exist to allow me to use the 35K certificate in Waikiki is making me think I might actually keep the card.
The Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore is next to the Brigham Young University–Hawaii campus in a part of Oahu known for its Mormon population.

As a result, it's actually dry -- as in you can drink alcohol but you can't buy it. It isn't that big of a deal because, as I said, you can still consume it.

The property is a pretty typical Courtyard. You'll for sure need a rental car. There are some amazing beaches nearby -- all within 10–20 minutes by car. It's a totally different experience from Waikiki.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore is next to the Brigham Young University–Hawaii campus in a part of Oahu known for its Mormon population.

As a result, it's actually dry -- as in you can drink alcohol but you can't buy it. It isn't that big of a deal because, as I said, you can still consume it.

The property is a pretty typical Courtyard. You'll for sure need a rental car. There are some amazing beaches nearby -- all within 10–20 minutes by car. It's a totally different experience from Waikiki.
Thanks for the background. I am actually a local, so it would be for a staycation purposes, and with kids, the alcohol restriction is definitely not a big deal. I have a feeling I stayed at the property before it was a courtyard when I was in high school and had a event at PCC. I think the event put us up at the hotel. I am sure things have changed a lot in the last 25 years, actually who knows, it probably hasn't changed at all haha.

I am definitely waiting to see how the Residence Inn slots in as a category. The western side of the island has a lot to do, especially for kids now, so that might end up being our first choice if it is priced right.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Thanks for the background. I am actually a local, so it would be for a staycation purposes, and with kids, the alcohol restriction is definitely not a big deal. I have a feeling I stayed at the property before it was a courtyard when I was in high school and had a event at PCC. I think the event put us up at the hotel. I am sure things have changed a lot in the last 25 years, actually who knows, it probably hasn't changed at all haha.

I am definitely waiting to see how the Residence Inn slots in as a category. The western side of the island has a lot to do, especially for kids now, so that might end up being our first choice if it is priced right.
I believe the Courtyard was a new-build property, not a conversion.

If you're willing to do your staycation on the Big Island then the Westin Hapuna Beach Resort is an option. It's a category 5 property. I'm sure they have Kama'aina rates.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
There are already a new Hampton Inn and Embassy Suites near the Ka Makana Ali'i Mall so hopefully that will keep a check on RI prices when it opens, It should be a Cat 4 but would not be surprised to see 5/6 which would send me elsewhere.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
There are already a new Hampton Inn and Embassy Suites near the Ka Makana Ali'i Mall so hopefully that will keep a check on RI prices when it opens, It should be a Cat 4 but would not be surprised to see 5/6 which would send me elsewhere.
I will probably use my 35K FN certificate, so if it is a category 5, I can live with that.

Thanks @hockeyinsider for the recommendation. With WN doing inter-island, maybe the flights to the neighbor islands will drop enough to make the trip affordable. Although I am sitting on some random HA miles.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanic
These are good options for business travelers but if you're on vacation, I would assume you would want to be on the beach.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
These are good options for business travelers but if you're on vacation, I would assume you would want to be on the beach.
I think Tanic was addressing me and I would be doing a staycation to minimize my commute to do family friendly west side stuff so those options and the future RI will probably work fine.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by hhoope01
To add on to what hockeyinsider mentions, what are you looking for in this vacation? Is there something specific in Hawaii you want to do/see/experience? If so, what? Answering that will probably drive you to a specific island as each island is different and offers different experiences/sites. And note that if you are really only looking for a luxury resort on a nice beach, there are probably closer, less costly places to look that will probably better meet your needs.

But if you want Hawaii and your thinking of 5 nights plus a couple of nights on a different island, for a 1st timer, I'd say spend the 5 nights on Kauai (the Garden Island) and a night or two on Oahu. Kauai has the lush tropic forests, the only navigable river on the islands, the most waterfalls, the most secluded beaches, Waimea Canyon (the second largest canyon in the US), etc. If you want a more "romantic" experience, take a day and hike to one of the many secluded beaches. You could well be the only ones on the beach or at least one of the few. Go to Tunnels beach which has possibly the best snorkeling on the islands and take a helicopter tour the canyon, the waterfalls, etc. will be breathtaking. Then you move to Oahu to visit Pearl Harbor, maybe drive along the coast to see the beaches you've read about and seen in old movies, visit the Polynesian Cultural Center or the Dole Plantation.

But I'd focus more on what you want to get out of a visit to Hawaii and then pick the island(s) that will get you those experiences. You can then pick the best hotel on those islands.
I agree. Assuming the original poster is based in Vancouver, as his profile suggests, Los Cabos is 4 1/2 hours away by air or 2 hours closer than Hawaii. Unless your girlfriend really wants to do Hawaii you might want to consider Mexico if all she wants is a beach and sun.

Don't get me wrong. I like Hawaii, but I don't think you get a good value for what you spend.
Originally Posted by AnalogMan
Kauai has a lot going for it as an Hawaiian Island, but with St. Regis Princeville out, not sure Marriott properties are spectacular. I haven't been to the Sheraton (stayed at the Hyatt on Poipu Beach), but the location should be decent.

Our favorite island is Oahu, because of the variety it offers and it is a better value because it is where a lot of Hawaiians actually live. There are options beyond just expensive F&B at the resorts. The best beach and best snorkeling on Oahu are both not at a resort (any resort) though. I like Kailua Beach Park and Hanauma Bay, both of which require some form of transportation to get to.

We are owners at the Ko Olina Beach Club, which you can stay at using points, but no plat amenities. Also, the resort is pretty far from everything else on the island, and perhaps a bit too family friendly (i.e. boring for an adult couple). I also lament the loss of the Ihilani hotel (formerly a JW Marriott, now a Four Seasons).

If you are doing two islands - I think Kauai + Oahu would be great. If you pick only one island, I think Maui is a good compromise. Maui feels very polished for tourism, and felt like it was priced to match.
Thanks for the responses everyone!

So there's two things to this

1) At some point, we definitely will go to Hawaii, as it's one of her aspirational travel destinations for a variety of reasons. Big Island would be her favourite. I've already been, so i'm a bit iffy on going to the same Hawaiian Island again, but I don't have THAT much say

2) RIGHT NOW, we just want a relaxing vacation. It doesn't even really need to be at the beach. It just needs to be somewhere warm that's <10 hours of flying away and have a good space to relax (pool or beach) with food around, either at the hotel or closeby. We're both rather burnt out from work.

I figured we'd kill two birds with one stone and go to Hawaii, but it's definitely more expensive than just going for a place that's relaxing - there, something like Los Cabos would do the trick and we're now looking into that. That or Puerto Vallarta or even Cancun (though she's been to Playa del Carmen, so that's probably similar there). I'm even considering a cruise! So right now we'll probably just check if there's some decent last-minute deals to anywhere and then book that for travel sometime late April, wherever it ends up being. (and yes, I'm YVR-based at the moment so Eastern Caribbean is sadly a bit too much flying for the Mrs for just a week stay, as there's no convenient/direct flight options there)

Thanks for the input everyone though! It'll definitely come in handy once we do ultimately go (back) to Hawaii.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I figured we'd kill two birds with one stone and go to Hawaii, but it's definitely more expensive than just going for a place that's relaxing - there, something like Los Cabos would do the trick and we're now looking into that. That or Puerto Vallarta or even Cancun (though she's been to Playa del Carmen, so that's probably similar there). I'm even considering a cruise! So right now we'll probably just check if there's some decent last-minute deals to anywhere and then book that for travel sometime late April, wherever it ends up being. (and yes, I'm YVR-based at the moment so Eastern Caribbean is sadly a bit too much flying for the Mrs for just a week stay, as there's no convenient/direct flight options there)
I would avoid Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta because of crime. Cancun is probably the safest because the tourist area is completely segregated from the local population. Los Cabos has issues but is generally seen as safer than Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Here's another vote for Westin Hapuna Beach Resort on the Big Island. We spent 5 nights before Christmas, followed by 2 nights at Princeville Resort (booked on SPG points before they left) and 5 nights at GH Kauai, and had a very nice relaxing stay. Hapuna Beach is one of the top beaches in all of Hawaii. Big Island also has the widest wide range of climates and lots of activities. Kauai used to be our favorite island, but the Big Island is a close second, and traffic is definitely better.
3rdworldresident and msp3 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Thanks for the responses everyone!

So there's two things to this

1) At some point, we definitely will go to Hawaii, as it's one of her aspirational travel destinations for a variety of reasons. Big Island would be her favourite. I've already been, so i'm a bit iffy on going to the same Hawaiian Island again, but I don't have THAT much say

2) RIGHT NOW, we just want a relaxing vacation. It doesn't even really need to be at the beach. It just needs to be somewhere warm that's <10 hours of flying away and have a good space to relax (pool or beach) with food around, either at the hotel or closeby. We're both rather burnt out from work.

Thanks for the input everyone though! It'll definitely come in handy once we do ultimately go (back) to Hawaii.
Hawaii is a pretty great destination, so hard to go wrong. Big Island is a good choice, and there is a lot to see and do (Kona coffee, Volcanos National Park, Mauna Kea observatories, I think a black and a green sand beach, lava flow viewing, etc), so visiting it again probably wouldn't be terrible.

Maui is also good (beach, shopping, Haleakala National Park, fine dining).

I've already mentioned Kauai and Oahu previously. So you should definitely go, it's hard to choose incorrectly going to Hawaii in my opinion
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AnalogMan
Hawaii is a pretty great destination, so hard to go wrong. Big Island is a good choice, and there is a lot to see and do (Kona coffee ...
Don't forget Ka'u coffee. It isn't as widely known as Kona, but it's very nice.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:04 am

Don't forget Ka'u coffee. It isn't as widely known as Kona, but it's very nice.
You are right, Ka'u coffee is very nice indeed! I thought the lava flow destroyed the crops and there isn't expected to be any Ka'u coffee for another year or two?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.