Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Palm Springs, CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Palm Springs, CA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL- 1k, Marriot Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Plat.Hilton Gold VIP
Question Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Palm Springs, CA

I am headed to Palm Springs for a conference in early May. Any advice on the best Marriott in the area? I am looking for a location with a CL so I can save on breakfast and dinner expenses.

Thanks to everyone on the front side that helps!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
You're out of luck, then. The two full-service properties in town, the Renaissance Esmeralda and the JW Desert Springs, are both resorts so neither one has a lounge. Both are great places, although I'd give the edge to the JW for "niceness". Really, either one is a great steal at the government rate (which I assume you're booking based on your handle and profile) and hopefully your conference will at least include continental breakfast. For dinner, there are plenty of inexpensive places in town if you're willing to go off-property.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
The Esmeralda is a very nice property. My wife and I spent a couple of nights there in '06 - I think there has been some remodeling done since then.

At the time, Plats got free breakfast buffet. Not sure if this is still policy or not.

They have the best breakfast buffet of any hotel I've stayed at.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Nov 08 2 adults and 2 kids all got free breakfast buffet every morning when we stayed at the Esmerelda, but others are reporting that is no longer the case. Maybe two pint sized swimmers cleaning out the buffet every morning has something to do with the new policy. :-) I'm sad as we go out there every year.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Priority Club Platinum
I must agree with DJ_Iceman. Although my significant other and I had to stop our road-warrioring last summer, every time we had to drive through the area, we stayed at the JW. It is a great deal at the military rate. We were very pleased with the room service, the golf, and the pool area in the summer is really hopping. Our only complaint was that the we got stuck with a very long walk from our room to the elevators on our first stay and have consulted a map at check-in to prevent such a thing on subsequent stays.

On a side note. We decided once to try the Desert Villas that are in the same complex. They are the Marriott Vacation Rentals, or whatever they are called and can also be booked nightly. Instead of getting a full (or even half) kitchen and a spacious room (that were advertised on the website and completely misled us), we ended up with a mini-fridge, microwave, and a single room no bigger than our typical JW room. We were also lucky enough to get an overflowing toilet that spread over an inch of water across the entire place and all of our things. So go for the JW and stay far away from the Villas.

Meredith
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:44 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mandymere
Instead of getting a full (or even half) kitchen and a spacious room (that were advertised on the website and completely misled us), we ended up with a mini-fridge, microwave, and a single room no bigger than our typical JW room.
Sounds like you rented the studio portion of one of the suites. When booking a room at an MVCI property, if you want the kitchen and extras, then you must book at least the 1-bedroom suite.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
Originally Posted by leatherheadiowa
I am headed to Palm Springs for a conference in early May. Any advice on the best Marriott in the area? I am looking for a location with a CL so I can save on breakfast and dinner expenses.

Thanks to everyone on the front side that helps!
Hands down the JW.

I have stayed at almost all the desert properties and it basically comes down to two the Renaissance Esmeralda or the JW. I have stayed at both many times and they are both fantastic but for me the Renaissance Esmeralda feels more like a large hotel than a resort. The JW has beautiful grounds for walking, tennis, biking, golf or swimming. One of the most scenic resorts in the Desert. If you are interested in a "condo" style you can rent a Marriott Villa on the grounds of the JW or down the street at Shadow Ridge. The JW also received a facelift that was completed a little over a year ago.

For trivia (for those of us in our 20s and 30s) the JW was the location for two episodes of Saved by the Bell.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
I stayed at the Esmerelda in January of 2009 and sadly the Esmerelda does *not* give out free breakfast to plats anymore. It is still a great hotel though: For my recent trip report see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ort-video.html
Old May 25, 2009, 8:59 pm

The Esmerelda is a lovely hotel and has a great location.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, Hilton, Marriott
Renaissance property soon in PS:

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2009...el-renovations
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:44 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I have stayed at the JW several times and have been quite pleased.

mandymere is correct, you can end up a good distance from the lobby, etc - but to present an opposite point of view...we preferred that.

if you are there during a convention, (we were) it can be crowded and noisy. And since I was a part of that convention, I had enough of it during the day and did not want to hear it at night - so a building out of the mainstream appealed to us. It was also closer to a smaller pool (basically empty) than to the larger pool (packed). We had a lovely view of a small lake with swans, the golf course, and the walking path. the walk to the lobby was pretty, and at least gave me some exercise and time outdoors on the days I had to work.

Just look at a map when you check in and pick according to your preference. I found the desk staff (actually all of the staff) quite friendly and accommodating.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Indian Wells

Esmerelda for sure, the JW is too big and easy shopping down the street for food, snacks and beverages.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
We stayed at the Renaissance Esmerelda in April for 3 days and liked it very much. I've stayed at Palm Desert, too, several times, but probably prefer the Renaissance slightly. I honestly can't recall if I got free breakfast or not!

Bruce
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Anyone care to add to this rather old thread?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, SPG
Ritz

Ritz Rancho Mirage is our favorite Palm Springs getaway hotel. You can find great rates depending on the month and the club is awesome as well (note that the club is closed from May to September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.