Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Waikiki Beach, HI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Marriott Waikiki Beach, HI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Marko123
Just curious, how did you go about complaining? I never know if I should just talk to whoever is at the front desk, or ask them to get a manager.
If it's Monday to Friday, I ask for the general manager. If it's after-hours or the weekend, I ask for the duty manager.
Marko123 likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Resort fees are pretty common, but I believe there are reports that many of the legacy Starwood properties waive or reduce the resort fee for eligible elite status guests. I hope the Marriott Waikiki general manager was honest when he said they're reconsidering the resort fee for guests with platinum or higher status because it's outrageous.

The Marriott Waikiki is fine if you know what you're getting but I suspect many expect a beach resort. It's not a beach resort.
My experience is that the SPG properties rarely waive the fee but when internet is included in resort fee amenities they are required to provide an alternative amenity for Platinums. Only for the internet and only if the internet speed in the Resort Fee is the same as the highest speed internet ( which Platinums are entitled to anyway). Not sure if it applies to Golds too. At the Westin Moana the alternative was 250 points/ per day. The SPG Lurker had to intervene to resolve this with the Resort because Front Desk repeatedly denied that there was any alternative amenity requirement ( it had been in place many months at the time of request). It seems from FT comments that many resorts are reticent about providing this without being pressed on it.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Fizzer
My experience is that the SPG properties rarely waive the fee but when internet is included in resort fee amenities they are required to provide an alternative amenity for Platinums. Only for the internet and only if the internet speed in the Resort Fee is the same as the highest speed internet ( which Platinums are entitled to anyway). Not sure if it applies to Golds too. At the Westin Moana the alternative was 250 points/ per day. The SPG Lurker had to intervene to resolve this with the Resort because Front Desk repeatedly denied that there was any alternative amenity requirement ( it had been in place many months at the time of request). It seems from FT comments that many resorts are reticent about providing this without being pressed on it.
I know the Westin Moana didn't charge a resort fee on some rates, including government. I received the points each day when I stayed there in February without asking for them. They only had one internet network, which anyone could connect to if they walked off the beach. The same for the Marriott Waikiki, which only has one internet network that's also open to anyone -- yet they charge for it with the resort fee.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
They do it purely because they can get away with it. There is no great Waikiki option among the major programs. They know they can fill their rooms without us.
at least the Hilton doesn’t impose a resort fee
Old May 10, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I know the Westin Moana didn't charge a resort fee on some rates, including government. I received the points each day when I stayed there in February without asking for them. They only had one internet network, which anyone could connect to if they walked off the beach. The same for the Marriott Waikiki, which only has one internet network that's also open to anyone -- yet they charge for it with the resort fee.
The free wifi was a temporary thing. It was like that when I was there in Feb (Sheraton Waikiki too) but when I went back in April, you had to sign in with your room number at both properties.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
I complained. The management says they are reconsidering. Apparently, others have complained. It's amazing what a few complaints can and will do. I plan on contacting corporate Marriott as well because it is very disingenuous to charge a resort fee, basically for breakfast and internet access, when the internet access isn't passcode-protected and anyone can use it.
I stayed at the Waikiki Marriott several times a year over a period of several years. I complained often about the resort fee and usually got it waived, but it was always an annoyance. The issue of supposedly getting free wifi as a result of being an elite member and then being charged for it via a resort fee is simply a scam. The issue has been discussed various times on Marriott's own discussion boards and nothing has changed. Maybe it will take an attorney general or some such lawsuit to make Marriott deliver free internet as promised.

I am not optimistic about the management of the hotel or corporate headquarters doing anything different. I had some very frank talks with the hotel managers the last couple times I stayed there about the internet charges and the resort fee. I don't go to Hawaii as often as I used to and have now taken to staying in a condo rental. I also stopped in at the Marriott the first time I stayed in the condo to let the manager know about the income he was losing. He was apologetic and offered to waive resort fees for me in the future as I recall, etc. Nevertheless, I decided I like the condo better than the hotel so I haven't been back to the Waikiki Marriott for about three years or so.

For years I had a very positive image of Marriott overall. But with the mandatory resort fees and charging platinum members for free internet via a mandatory fee (among other issues) Marriott's image has moved down several notches in my mind.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
How are the upgrade chances here for Platinums, any other perks? How is the beach area in terms of space availability and accessibility?

We typically stay at the Sheraton or Moana Surfrider but they are booked for our upcoming dates in July and I would appreciate some feedback from experts who have been here recently.

mahalo
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vg247
How is the beach area in terms of space availability and accessibility?
This property is not on the beach, it's across the street. Note also that because of the way the towers are oriented, the property has very few rooms with a direct ocean view ("ocean front"). The rooms they call "ocean view" are on the sides and do not look directly at the water.

Platinum benefits are pretty minimal, though that should change on August 1 with breakfast being added.

I do like being at this end of Waikiki and an easy walk to Marukami for udon
vg247 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
...I do like being at this end of Waikiki and an easy walk to Marukami for udon
Agree on both counts. This end of Waikiki is much better (my place is down this end). And nothing beats Marukame. The only thing I will ever line up for.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vg247
How are the upgrade chances here for Platinums, any other perks? How is the beach area in terms of space availability and accessibility?

We typically stay at the Sheraton or Moana Surfrider but they are booked for our upcoming dates in July and I would appreciate some feedback from experts who have been here recently.

mahalo
Hmm. Doesn't SPG guarantee rooms for platinums with 72 hours notice?

But as for the Waikiki Marriott, it's a massive hotel. Like 1,000 rooms. You shouldn't have an issue getting an upgrade ahead of time, especially if you ask for it. The front desk manager is Lorelie Rodriguez, [email protected]. I would take a king-sized bed on the highest floor over a suite on a lower floor because of noise from neighboring hotels and the street.

As for the beach, it's across the street. I prefer the beach by the Moana because there are no homeless vagabonds down there. The beach directly across from the Marriott Waikiki attracts the homeless at night and they're often slow to clear out in the morning. The hotel has a massive pool deck with lots of chairs for sunbathing and two decent pools.
araknis and vg247 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So I was just here for a quick cheap overnight. I posted in the SNA thread about my issues with the SNA upgrade not working properly. Eventually I was confirmed into an "Ocean Front Junior Suite." When I arrived, they tried to palm off one of the Ocean View junior suites as "Ocean Front." It was on the 8th floor directly over the pool, with a balcony over Ohua Ave. An awful room totally exposed to the noise of Waikiki, including blaring music from the terrace bar. Called front desk immediately, and wound up in a regular room on 30th floor of the Paoakalani Tower with a view of Diamond Head. Much quieter (and better view), but the decor was extremely tired and dated.

Two positives. Staff were great, and the breakfast benefit (full buffet in Kuhio Grill) is legitimate. Note also that they've started room renovations in the Paoakalani Tower.

I would take a king-sized bed on the highest floor over a suite on a lower floor because of noise from neighboring hotels and the street.
Good advice. I would add in addition, "stay somewhere else."
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Two positives. Staff were great, and the breakfast benefit (full buffet in Kuhio Grill) is legitimate. Note also that they've started room renovations in the Paoakalani Tower.

Good advice. I would add in addition, "stay somewhere else."
I've given up on this hotel. You can get a better experience, especially with the resort fee, elsewhere among the Marriott properties in the area. For the money of the resort fee, you can get a nicer breakfast at Eggs 'n Things and, depending on the time you head down, have a shorter wait.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
I've given up on this hotel. You can get a better experience, especially with the resort fee, elsewhere among the Marriott properties in the area. For the money of the resort fee, you can get a nicer breakfast at Eggs 'n Things and, depending on the time you head down, have a shorter wait.
I hear ya, I'm done as well.

But I'll note Sheraton and Moana are typically at least $50-100 more expensive than this place (closer to $100 for my nights). Guess you get what you pay for . . . I just wasn't interested in paying over $300 for a 14 hour stay. Hilton was a little cheaper, but I had the $40 AMEX offer for Marriott, which equalized the price plus there's the Marriott stay credit.

Didn't have to wait for breakfast. Most of the guests were school tour groups and I assume they did not have breakfast included in their group rates.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majuki
I hear ya, I'm done as well.

But I'll note Sheraton and Moana are typically at least $50-100 more expensive than this place (closer to $100 for my nights). Guess you get what you pay for . . . I just wasn't interested in paying over $300 for a 14 hour stay. Hilton was a little cheaper, but I had the $40 AMEX offer for Marriott, which equalized the price plus there's the Marriott stay credit.

Didn't have to wait for breakfast. Most of the guests were school tour groups and I assume they did not have breakfast included in their group rates.
They have a new general manager. So, it will be interesting to see how this property changes, if at all.

Did you get the resort fee waived or an alternative replacement amenity included, @Kacee?

If I was only in Honolulu for 14 hours and had a rental car, I might consider the Courtyard on the North Shore of Oahu, if I was staying loyal to Marriott. It's typically a lot cheaper than the Waikiki properties. Yes, it's on the North Shore, but it doesn't seem like you were in Honolulu for a Waikiki vacation.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 7, 2019 at 11:22 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
They have a new general manager. So, it will be interesting to see how this property changes, if at all.

Did you get the resort fee waived or an alternative replacement amenity included, @Kacee?

If I was only in Honolulu for 14 hours and had a rental car, I might consider the Courtyard on the North Shore of Oahu, if I was staying loyal to Marriott. It's typically a lot cheaper than the Waikiki properties. Yes, it's on the North Shore, but it doesn't like like you were in Honolulu for a Waikiki vacation.
Keep us posted the next time you're there. I stayed at the Hilton last December - and made the reservation before the resort fee kicked in - so my most recent data point is December 2017. At that time the front desk was practically laughing at the request to waive the resort fee. We did manage to get a second breakfast coupon before that was officially a benefit pre-merger, but that was about it. Also, there was a back and forth about them honoring the resort fee at the time of booking, which had increased by the time of our stay. Having such an adversarial attitude with your guests made me not want to return.

I second the Courtyard in Laie if you're just spending the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.