Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Waikiki Beach, HI [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 23, 18, 4:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 18, 01, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue

I'm staying at this hotel from 9/6 to 9/11 on a Priceline UK stay. What is the situation with the renovation at this hotel- I have been personally assured by PL UK that my stay will in no way be affected. Is it worth contacting the hotel or just wait and see? Is it worth giving my Marriott Silver No. if contacting the hotel?
Hope you can help
Many thanks
Alan
Old Jul 18, 01, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I stayed at the Marriott Waikiki in mid-May. It was a disappointment - common areas looking very tired, no Gold Rewards benefits, although some guest rooms clearly had been renovated. I expressed dissatisfaction in the regular Marriott survey and was rewarded with a reply from the hotel manager that said (I paraphrase), "So sorry. We began a $xx million renovation two days after you checked out. Try us again." That was about 25 May, so unless you're confident they're speedy, it's worth checking with the hotel directly.
Old Jul 18, 01, 7:21 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
The Marriott Waikiki Beach is a dump if that is the property you are referring to?

Numerous problems there - I do not recommend it.
Old Jul 19, 01, 1:35 am

This Hotel was formerly the Hawaiian Regent Hotel, Marriott bought it because it wanted a bigger presence in Hawaii and is spending $30 million on the renovation. I was suprised to see that it has 1308 rooms as the building dosn't look that big to me.

Marriott is also renovating the former Ilikai hotel (25 mil)but it will be branded a Renaissance property.
Old Jul 19, 01, 6:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AA AAll the wAAy!!
For the record, the Renaissance Ilikai is also a dump. I stayed there last year and it was truly a dissapointment!
Old Jul 19, 01, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that the common grounds need to be upgrade. However, we were very pleased with our room on our stay in April 2001. We were upgraded to a corner room overlooking the beach on the 31st floor and it was very nicely done. Our trip to Kauai required a 2 nite stay to accomodate our FF return to NYC and the rate of $109.00 was great.
Old Jul 21, 01, 4:44 pm

My wife and I stayed at the property in February when it was offered to Rewards members at 50% off. We got a corner room facing Diamond Head and also a view directly over the beach. The property was older, but clean. I think my status got the room upgrade and did not even have to ask for it.

I can't comment on current construction efforts, but I'd stay there again if the price was right.
Old Jul 21, 01, 6:21 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
I spent three nights at this hotel a week ago. Rennovations did not inconvenience us at all... there are two towers, and they had us (and maybe everyone) in the tower they are not working on. Anyway, there was no sign of the work and it did not get in the way.
The hotel is dated, but we found it pleasant, and a very good location, on the beachfront street, toward Diamond Head. The room we had was not yet renovated, but was large, and clean, with a balcony overlooking the beach. The renovations will definitely improve it... and will likely double the price. At the monent, I think it is a good value, ceertainly better than many three star hotels, while at present being in an equivalent price range to them.
We also spent ten nights at Marriott's Ihilani, about 17 miles west of the airport. That has been written about often on Flyertalk, and all the good things are true. A magnificent resort, outstanding rooms and good service. If you have a car, drive out to take a look. West on H1 to the Ko Olina exit.... after exiting, take second right to enter Marriott.
Old Jan 13, 09, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold
Marriott Waikiki Beach

I know this property has mixed reviews but since we are all looking to burn points before our "price increase" I thought I would try a May visit on points. I am a Platium Premier (does it really mean anything?) and hope to score a nice upgrade in a off time period in early May. I am also trying to make this a low budget trip (NW miles being used). Anyone with any advise or anwsers to my questions - please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Upgrade for PP - should I email the GM?
Is there a bus from the airport to the Marriott vs a cab?
Rental Car options for a one day road trip at the Marriott or near buy?
What is within walking distance from the Marriott? (1-2 miles)
Any beaches (via bus ride) that are close other than accross the street?

Aloha
Old Jan 13, 09, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I'll help you out with what I can based on my stay 2 years ago.

1. Was a Gold at the time, received an upgrade to a partial ocean-view room without requesting anything.

2. I think Roberts runs a bus shuttle from airport to Waikiki. Works kind of like Super Shuttle

3. There is a TON of stuff within walking distance. We had a car but rarely used it. Restaurants, shopping, etc.

4. I think there's a Hertz office in the Marriott but I may be wrong.

Enjoy - we had a good time here and would go back if we didn't like Maui so much!
Old Jan 13, 09, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
I have stayed here 6 times in the last 3 or 4 years. A little too touristy and too many groups, but it is Hawaii.

1. As a Platinum I have always received nice rooms with great views without asking. Check in always gets me a nice "welcome back" and "thanks for being Platinum".

2. Correct on bus.

3. Correct on walking. Lot's of stuff.

4. Yes, there is a Hertz in the lobby. Suggest you book online though, for better rates. Limited hours open, but you can return car after-hours.
Old Jan 13, 09, 8:48 pm

Spent a lot of time at this property and it is okay. Pool is not bad and there is a really good restaurant onsite as well (at least when I was there.) Bar by the pool is great and there is a lot to chose in the area so you will have plenty of options.
Old Jan 13, 09, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
1. I always book the cheapest "city view" room - and so far I've always been upgraded to "partial ocean view" rooms.

2. The airport bus stops at every hotel along the way, with the Marriott being about the last hotel stop. There are a couple of airport shuttle companies that run from the airport to Waikiki. I've always taken Reliable Shuttle - which is $9 each way.
Old Jan 13, 09, 9:14 pm

Programs: CO Silver, BMI Gold
Originally Posted by Northern Miles View Post
I know this property has mixed reviews but since we are all looking to burn points before our "price increase" I thought I would try a May visit on points. I am a Platium Premier (does it really mean anything?) and hope to score a nice upgrade in a off time period in early May. I am also trying to make this a low budget trip (NW miles being used). Anyone with any advise or anwsers to my questions - please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Upgrade for PP - should I email the GM?
Is there a bus from the airport to the Marriott vs a cab?
Rental Car options for a one day road trip at the Marriott or near buy?
What is within walking distance from the Marriott? (1-2 miles)
Any beaches (via bus ride) that are close other than accross the street?

Aloha
My hubby and I just got back from the Waikiki Marriott on a mileage run in November.

There is a lot within walking distance-several restaurants: Cheesecake Factory, Dukes (a Waikiki institution that is worth a drink at the beach bar), and other assorted seafood and Asian places. There is a Hertz in the lobby, but the hours aren't fantastic, so you might check with the hotel on that.

The ride to the airport is about 15 minutes-but I couldn't say re. shuttle bus. Both times we've gone, we've rented a car so we could explore North Shore. Which leads me to my next point--we much prefer the beaches on the North Shore--about a 30 minute ride out of Waikiki. They tend to be much less crowded and more 'aaaaahhhhh'.

Hope that helps some--there is a lot of cheap eats near the hotel too. If you haven't heard of ABC Stores--they are on every corner and it's basically a Hawaiian CVS with all sorts of tourist stuff, makeup, food, and Macadamia nuts. Yes, they're everywhere!

Aloha! Have a great time!
Old Jan 13, 09, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I love the ABC stores!

I also enjoy heading over to McDonald's for a breakfast of spam and rice. ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: