Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Upgraded wireless Internet is complimentary in your guest room, and Gold Elite members enjoy a 10 percent discount on all purchases in our BLVD shop.

Executive Lounge – located on the 4th floor of the hotel, our Executive Lounge is open Monday through Friday 6:30am- 10am for breakfast. We are happy to provide breakfast for two at Glance, (previously called Ford's Filling Station), the lobby level restaurant on Saturday and Sunday.

Activities – the following amenities are offered at the hotel:

· Pool Deck, 4th floor open daily from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.

· The Ritz-Carlton Spa, 2nd floor open daily from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.

· Fitness Center, 2nd floor is open 24 hours

Destination Fee

The $30+taxes destination fee includes the following amenities - redeemable via the passport they hand you at check-in:
  • Premium internet (with a special code instead of logging in with name/room number)
  • $20 food and beverage credit daily [resets at 12pm according to reports]
  • "Wine tasting" from 4:30-5pm at the hotel restaurant (choice of house wines, either 2 half glasses of white and red, or 1 glass of white or red)
  • Admission to the Grammy Museum
  • Free small popcorn at Regal theater (requires coupon from front desk)
  • 1 hour of bowling at Lucky Strike between 4-6pm (once per stay)
The hotel current does not provide an alternate amenity for elites to replace the premium internet included in the destination fee.

To get acquainted with the exciting recreation, entertainment, attractions and shopping options on and around the hotel, please visit: www.lalivemarriott.com
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:06 pm

Just had a 4 night stay at the JW while a relative was at the RC.

Between Clippers games, Kings games and a 15K person Tony Robbins conference the JW was packed! Oh, and at least one wedding.

Just walking into it I wouldn't say it was a JW. The lounge was a pleasant surprise with a decent breakfast spread (open all weekend BTW) The rooftop pool is actually the 4th floor so while it is a rooftop it's not THE rooftop!

Rooms are a little dated. Almost no ac outlets and horrible WiFi

If you need to be at LA live it's a great option with easy access to Microsoft Theater and the Convention Center.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I have a reservation for next week, and just noticed a $25 "destination amenity fee" showing up when I view my reservation online or in the app.
This fee didn't exist when I made the booking, and the confirmation email shows a total price about $30 lower than what I'm seeing now.

Will I have any issues getting this charge removed?
Old May 7, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by aacar
I have a reservation for next week, and just noticed a $25 "destination amenity fee" showing up when I view my reservation online or in the app.
This fee didn't exist when I made the booking, and the confirmation email shows a total price about $30 lower than what I'm seeing now.

Probably. It's the new "resort" fee for cities that hotels are doing to gouge us now.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
I was wondering the same thing. Since making my reservation at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco a $20 amenity fee has been added. At the bottom of the reservation under additional charges it states," Changes in taxes or fees implemented after booking will affect the total room price." I will question the amenity charge but it looks like I am on the hook for it.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Properties generally recognize they can't impose these retroactively. The service at this property is pretty good, so I suspect you won't have a problem.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

Update: fee didn't even show up on the final bill. Pleasantly surprised.
jtp1947 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Recent stay at the JW Marriott LA Live. Immediate area isn't great depending on which direction you go, but it's convenient to DTLA and there are a cluster of hotels here. Property's common areas and amenities are quite nice, including an impressive gym (which was busy on a weekday morning). Lounge is small, but has decent breakfast options with warm eggs and bacon, including take-away boxes if you're rushed. No real espresso (only a machine that produces burnt coffee).

The rooms are a strange mix of modern finishings and 70s decor/furniture. Bed is fine. I would say the furniture in the Junior Suite I got upgraded to was not very comfortable and seemed a little out of place. A far cry from the amazing suite that was well appointed and well decorated that I got at the JW Marriott Bangkok.

Service however, is very good. The main downside is the "destination fee" which is bogus for elite members who get internet, and don't need the other benefits like F&B credit, yoga class, Regal movie theater popcorn (right across the street), etc. I will admit some of the benefits are creative, like the popcorn. I'll note the Sheraton and Westin, though not as high end as the JW, do not charge destination fees.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
My wife, son, and I completed a three night stay here at the end of last year - the hotel was taken over by the Wisconsin Badgers for the Rose Bowl, as far as I could tell around 95% of the guests were Badgers fans but we snagged a great rate (AAA rate of $195 incl. a $50 per day F&B credit) at the last minute.

At check-in we were upgraded to an Executive King on the top floor, which I thought was just beautiful - two walls of windows in the main room, and another huge window in the bathroom. The room was completely quiet, the only exception being when the clock struck 12 on New Year's Eve and we could hear a lot of honking and hollering from the outside - to be expected. A rollaway was delivered promptly for my son without charge. I thought the shower was fantastic with great water pressure and I loved having the huge window in the bathroom.

A Yoga class (at 7am) is included in the destination fee and my wife took advantage of it 2 of 3 days - once she was the only guest, the other I think there were 2-3 people. The first day the yoga was outside by the pool and she really enjoyed it.

On our first day we arrived at the hotel late and used part of our credit at the "Glance" Lobby Bar to get a burger, the shishito peppers, and brussels sprouts. All of the food was pretty good and the fries especially so. Service was a little slow but the lobby was completely overrun with Wisconsin fans, I imagine it would be better on a regular day. We also got a room service sandwich later in the trip since we had the credit, it was perfectly acceptable and delivered promptly.

I didn't think the club lounge was anything special - I was surprised by how small it was. At checkin we were told they had added a chef for the breakfast service so I was picturing made-to-order eggs, but all the chef really did was served the bacon & eggs from the buffet. Nice guy but I think underutilized. The lounge did have a nice little outdoor terrace but otherwise I didn't think it was anything special. Although breakfast starts at 630, they do have coffee available outside of the lounge starting earlier (at least they did when we were there - maybe a special for the Wisconsin fans).

On our last trip to LA we stayed at the Sheraton Grand and the JWM is definitely much nicer than the Sheraton, in my opinion. We walked to the Metro Center station and I didn't think it was too shady compared to other parts of LA. We also walked to the Expo Line and took it to the CA Science Center, that walk wasn't bad either. A Ralph's is also in walking distance. The destination fee is an annoyance but despite it we will definitely return.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by River in Sight; Jan 13, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by River in Sight
At check-in we were upgraded to an Executive King on the top floor, which I thought was just beautiful - two walls of windows in the main room, and another huge window in the bathroom.
Sounds like a substantial upgrade . . . much nicer than the base "Deluxe" rooms.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Does anyone know if the Club Lounge is open these days due to COVID? If not, any breakfast options at all for Platinum Elite guests? Staying here in a few weeks and will post an updated review after the stay.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
https://whattoexpect.marriott.com/LAXJW

David

Last edited by DELee; Sep 9, 2020 at 10:18 pm Reason: correct embedded link
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by DELee
Thanks David. That link didn't work but I didn't see that they had a complete breakdown. I saw it here thanks to your post: https://whattoexpect.marriott.com/laxjw

Thanks again for taking the time to post. Bummer that the Lounge is closed. Things here in Southern CA are starting to open so hopefully it's open in 2 weeks when I'm there.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:17 pm

For those who don't click through, here's the crux of it:
At this hotel, please note that we currently offer the following Marriott Bonvoy benefits:
  • Lounge Access: In accordance with local and stage regulations, the Executive Lounge is currently closed. Platinum, Titanium and Ambassador members are offered 750 points per day in lieu of Executive Lounge privileges.
  • Welcome Gift: In lieu of the welcome gift, Gold Elite members will receive a one-time award of 500 points per stay; Platinum, Titanium and Ambassador members will receive a one-time award of 1,000 points per stay.
  • Late Check-Out: Member benefits for late check-outs will be honored based upon Elite status.
So no breakfast option offered, despite listing the Illy Cafe as open from 7 am to 9 pm.

Another Marriott property taking advantage of COVID to dodge elite benefits.
saint and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:17 pm

Thanks again to everyone that posted a review. I had a great trip to Santa Barbara and decided to stop in LA for a night. This was my first time to this property. It's been a long time since I've been near this area and wow it's really developed over the years. I'm a Platinum Elite and I tried to use one of my Suite Night Awards that I had in my account. The funny thing is it was rejected in the App up until the day I checked in saying no suite was available. I had selected a Junior Suite as my option.

The week leading up to my stay I saw a ton of rooms. But the night before I didn't see any suites available. The day of check-in there WERE suites available. I simply asked for an upgrade when I checked in and the nice girl quickly upgraded me to a complimentary Suite on the 11th floor. It was spacious and had a great view. It was also very quiet.
Great room and it was full of natural sunlight. It was great not having to burn an upgrade certificate and getting it free. This is the way it's supposed to work when nicer rooms are available.

As everyone already mentioned, the restaurants are all closed. I didn't bother going to the cafe. I mentioned to the girl at the check-in that I had my car and asked where the charger was if I wanted to charge my car (I have a Tesla). She told me I'd need to talk to the valet guys. She told me, "oh I'll take care of your valet fees". I didn't read anywhere that the hotel was doing this and parking was expensive at around $50/night. I didn't bother to reconfirm with her as I figured I'd just wait and see at check-out if it really was free. Sure enough at the check-out I had no bill at all. I was using a 50,000 point free night award which was great since this room was going for almost $480/night so it was a great redemption.

We used the pool and they are really secure. They have a lady sitting at a desk inside before you exit the building. She asks your name and room # to confirm. Then you go outside and there is a hard plastic with door that only will open once you scan your room key. You'd think with all this security the guests in the pool wouldn't be sketchy. Well, let me tell you, the day we went there were some really gangster types in the pool. They were drinking alcohol mixed in 2 Liter bottles of Sprite. Yes, literally 2 Liter bottles. The girls were shaking their bootys all over and it was uncomfortable for all the guests in the pool. One girl started using the umbrella shade as a pole to dance and the security guard finally came over. Another party in the group tried to use one of the cabanas to have sex but the security guard came over and kicked them out of the cabana.

I'm surprised they didn't kick them out of the pool but I'd assume like everyone else around the pool, everyone was afraid one of the people had a gun in their bag. We didn't stick around too long and decided to leave after a bit as it wasn't relaxing or enjoyable. I've never seen a scene like that at a nice hotel pool area. It's like something you'd see out of Compton or something. Besides this, everything was great in the hotel.

I needed to charge my car at check-in as mentioned, and I had to go meet the valet driver on the -2 floor with my Charge Point card. There were only two Charge Point chargers. You'd think a bigger hotel like this would have Tesla chargers that were complimentary but they didn't. There was a Tesla parked in the spot not charging and they called up and they said it was a resident that lives in the building. I had to wait and they got the key and moved it. I was able to stay charged all night and charged up.

There are a lot of restaurants in the area but unfortunately it's just outside dining. They are really strict in LA County. We went to eat at Faith and Flower a few blocks away that had really great food. A bummer the hotel's restaurants were closed as they looked nice and it would have been convenient.

This is a great hotel and the staff was great to provide the complimentary upgrade and also to waive my valet parking fees. This will be super convenient when/if the Stadium opens up again for sporting events. The only thing to note is that Google Maps didn't work both in my Car and also on my phone. I'm not sure if it was just that day or in general in that area it was wonky to drive. To walk around it worked to the restaurant but once I got in my car to try to find an Eggslut restaurant it was really off.

Last edited by saint; Oct 1, 2020 at 12:27 pm
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Any stays over the past year? Decent looking "DTLA Getaway package" that has it $100 less than the RI and CY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.