Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Upgraded wireless Internet is complimentary in your guest room, and Gold Elite members enjoy a 10 percent discount on all purchases in our BLVD shop.

Executive Lounge – located on the 4th floor of the hotel, our Executive Lounge is open Monday through Friday 6:30am- 10am for breakfast. We are happy to provide breakfast for two at Glance, (previously called Ford's Filling Station), the lobby level restaurant on Saturday and Sunday.

Activities – the following amenities are offered at the hotel:

· Pool Deck, 4th floor open daily from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.

· The Ritz-Carlton Spa, 2nd floor open daily from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.

· Fitness Center, 2nd floor is open 24 hours

Destination Fee

The $30+taxes destination fee includes the following amenities - redeemable via the passport they hand you at check-in:
  • Premium internet (with a special code instead of logging in with name/room number)
  • $20 food and beverage credit daily [resets at 12pm according to reports]
  • "Wine tasting" from 4:30-5pm at the hotel restaurant (choice of house wines, either 2 half glasses of white and red, or 1 glass of white or red)
  • Admission to the Grammy Museum
  • Free small popcorn at Regal theater (requires coupon from front desk)
  • 1 hour of bowling at Lucky Strike between 4-6pm (once per stay)
The hotel current does not provide an alternate amenity for elites to replace the premium internet included in the destination fee.

To get acquainted with the exciting recreation, entertainment, attractions and shopping options on and around the hotel, please visit: www.lalivemarriott.com
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Any stays over the past year? Decent looking "DTLA Getaway package" that has it $100 less than the RI and CY
What is the concern? I think if you've got a great rate and you want to come to LA and try out the hotel, it sounds like the perfect opportunity.

If I had to pick between a JW, RI and CY in any city in the world, and the package for the JW was that much better, I'd jump on it.

David
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DELee
What is the concern? I think if you've got a great rate and you want to come to LA and try out the hotel, it sounds like the perfect opportunity.

If I had to pick between a JW, RI and CY in any city in the world, and the package for the JW was that much better, I'd jump on it.

David
Right, not choosing between the properties but was just commenting on the oddity of the rate. (Other option is the Kimpton Everly.)

I was hoping to hear if the property was continuing to stiff elites out of breakfast, while charging the nightly amenity fee, for example. (The website says it is, but I've found many properties have not updated their "what to expect"). Indeed, many things about a hotel can change in a year, and I was wondering if folks had recent experiences to share. Even with the good rate, were still taking $300 a night when you add the amenity fee, and the $50 nightly credit in the package covers parking.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by saint
Thanks again to everyone that posted a review. I had a great trip to Santa Barbara and decided to stop in LA for a night. This was my first time to this property. It's been a long time since I've been near this area and wow it's really developed over the years. I'm a Platinum Elite and I tried to use one of my Suite Night Awards that I had in my account. The funny thing is it was rejected in the App up until the day I checked in saying no suite was available. I had selected a Junior Suite as my option.

The week leading up to my stay I saw a ton of rooms. But the night before I didn't see any suites available. The day of check-in there WERE suites available. I simply asked for an upgrade when I checked in and the nice girl quickly upgraded me to a complimentary Suite on the 11th floor. It was spacious and had a great view. It was also very quiet.
Great room and it was full of natural sunlight. It was great not having to burn an upgrade certificate and getting it free. This is the way it's supposed to work when nicer rooms are available.

As everyone already mentioned, the restaurants are all closed. I didn't bother going to the cafe. I mentioned to the girl at the check-in that I had my car and asked where the charger was if I wanted to charge my car (I have a Tesla). She told me I'd need to talk to the valet guys. She told me, "oh I'll take care of your valet fees". I didn't read anywhere that the hotel was doing this and parking was expensive at around $50/night. I didn't bother to reconfirm with her as I figured I'd just wait and see at check-out if it really was free. Sure enough at the check-out I had no bill at all. I was using a 50,000 point free night award which was great since this room was going for almost $480/night so it was a great redemption.

We used the pool and they are really secure. They have a lady sitting at a desk inside before you exit the building. She asks your name and room # to confirm. Then you go outside and there is a hard plastic with door that only will open once you scan your room key. You'd think with all this security the guests in the pool wouldn't be sketchy. Well, let me tell you, the day we went there were some really gangster types in the pool. They were drinking alcohol mixed in 2 Liter bottles of Sprite. Yes, literally 2 Liter bottles. The girls were shaking their bootys all over and it was uncomfortable for all the guests in the pool. One girl started using the umbrella shade as a pole to dance and the security guard finally came over. Another party in the group tried to use one of the cabanas to have sex but the security guard came over and kicked them out of the cabana.

I'm surprised they didn't kick them out of the pool but I'd assume like everyone else around the pool, everyone was afraid one of the people had a gun in their bag. We didn't stick around too long and decided to leave after a bit as it wasn't relaxing or enjoyable. I've never seen a scene like that at a nice hotel pool area. It's like something you'd see out of Compton or something. Besides this, everything was great in the hotel.

I needed to charge my car at check-in as mentioned, and I had to go meet the valet driver on the -2 floor with my Charge Point card. There were only two Charge Point chargers. You'd think a bigger hotel like this would have Tesla chargers that were complimentary but they didn't. There was a Tesla parked in the spot not charging and they called up and they said it was a resident that lives in the building. I had to wait and they got the key and moved it. I was able to stay charged all night and charged up.

There are a lot of restaurants in the area but unfortunately it's just outside dining. They are really strict in LA County. We went to eat at Faith and Flower a few blocks away that had really great food. A bummer the hotel's restaurants were closed as they looked nice and it would have been convenient.

This is a great hotel and the staff was great to provide the complimentary upgrade and also to waive my valet parking fees. This will be super convenient when/if the Stadium opens up again for sporting events. The only thing to note is that Google Maps didn't work both in my Car and also on my phone. I'm not sure if it was just that day or in general in that area it was wonky to drive. To walk around it worked to the restaurant but once I got in my car to try to find an Eggslut restaurant it was really off.

The remodel looks very nice. I want to see how the RC looks now.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I briefly got excited at the prospect of the remodel maintaining a proper working desk, but it looks like some designer has decided to cut the back off the chair so it's impossible to actually use for more than 15min? Sometimes I wonder, I really do...
Old Oct 29, 2021, 9:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Wife and I were at JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE on Oct 23, received 1,000 bonus Plus free buffet breakfast for 2 and Plus $20 drinks at the bar. The buffet was $34 per person, but free for Platinum Elite. Besides the traffic, the hotel was great.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Along with the Ritz-Carlton, adding a few more rooms for $500M:

https://therealdeal.com/la/2022/03/0...r-jw-marriott/

https://urbanize.city/la/post/city-p...iott-expansion

David
Old Mar 26, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Checked in today and noticed these renderings of the expansion. This property will be massive.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Checked in today and noticed these renderings of the expansion. This property will be massive.
Yup:

The $500 million J.W. Marriott upgrade at L.A. Live would add a 37-story tower with 861 rooms, adding to the 1,000 rooms at the current Marriott and Ritz Carlton. Plans include a 228,000-square-foot conference center.

Gensler, based in San Francisco, has designed the hotel expansion of the J.W. Marriott complex at 900 W. Olympic Boulevard, which would result in the second largest hotel in the state.

The new hotel tower would rise to 450 feet above an existing parking garage at Chick Hearn Court and Georgia Street, and include a west-facing patio deck. The existing garage, converted into a podium for the hotel, would be wrapped with more than 20,000 square feet of signage
Anyone remember which cities currently have the 3 largest hotels in the state?

David
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by DELee
Yup:

Anyone remember which cities currently have the 3 largest hotels in the state?

David
According to this, San Francisco has 2 and San Diego 1:

Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Just realized a likely reason for the expansion - the 2028 Olympics.
dcmike likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:15 am

Expansion fact sheet lists an AC and Moxy coming to the area, as well. Based on the room totals, the Ritz won't have any rooms in the new tower. It will be interesting to see the comparison and equality between the old JW rooms and the new JW rooms.

​​​​​​
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:36 pm

Wonderful stay!

Apologies for all of the development-related posts - I definitely find the idea of such a large expansion quite interesting. On to my stay report - my expectations were wildly exceeded!

Despite not receiving an upgrade in app and the property appearing mostly sold out on my night, I was able to check in around 7:30 AM with a very friendly agent. They said they could get me in a lower floor or I could wait until around 9:00 AM for a higher floor. I asked about suites, and they were able to move some things around to get me a Junior Suite on the 10th floor right then. The Junior Suite is basically a very large corner room with a seating area, but I found it very nice. A large entryway with window overlooking the pool area, a standard bathroom with walk-in shower (with pretty good pressure), a bedroom, and then a large pull-out sofa, coffee table, and armchair. My view faced the Convention Center, Crypto.com Arena, Oceanwide Plaza, and pool area. It was definitely fun to see LA Live lit up at night. The room was very quiet - it was at the end of the hallway, but I really felt very peaceful. The bed was fantastic - it appeared that they just purchased the duvet as the covers were very thick (wonderful to see at a JW as I typically find JWs lacking in the covers department). The TV had the Internet TV OS (albeit, the slower version seen on Samsung TVs).

As mentioned, service was quite good. The agent at check-in was very friendly. The hotel generally seemed very well-staffed. No issue with 4 PM late checkout (it was even on my reservation before I asked at check-in).

The hotel did pre-authorize my credit card multiple times (when I asked, they claimed there must have been a glitch - odd as the amounts were always different) - they assured me these pending charges would drop. I'll have to see...

The destination fee includes a $20 F&B credit - I used this for the chocolate cake at the bar, which was pretty good (it also didn't appear on my bill automatically - no hassle).

Breakfast was a highlight - Elites get the buffet at the restaurant (also, no hassle with billing). Large buffet with omelet station and made-to-order pancakes or french toast (ordered with server) included with the buffet - fresh and warm! Service was also great with my server asking me where I was from, etc., and thanking me for being a Bonvoy Elite after she asked.

The Executive Lounge is still closed, but the breakfast more than makes up for it.

Overall, I would absolutely return - what a great property (even as big as it is)! It makes me question how much nicer the Ritz could be for such a large rate differential?

Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Thanks for the great review and pictures. I haven't stayed since pre-COVID, but back in the day the main difference with the Ritz was service--truly, honestly, personalized service with things like the front desk associates remembering my daughter's name a few days after check-in. The pool area at the Ritz was also nicer and more intimate, plus the room decor and amenities were just that little bit nicer than at the JW.

But I agree, as is usually the case, that the value proposition at the less-expensive property is clearly superior. "You pay more, you get more", but if the "pay more" is too much more then it's hard to justify unless money is no object.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Thanks for the great review and pictures. I haven't stayed since pre-COVID, but back in the day the main difference with the Ritz was service--truly, honestly, personalized service with things like the front desk associates remembering my daughter's name a few days after check-in. The pool area at the Ritz was also nicer and more intimate, plus the room decor and amenities were just that little bit nicer than at the JW.

But I agree, as is usually the case, that the value proposition at the less-expensive property is clearly superior. "You pay more, you get more", but if the "pay more" is too much more then it's hard to justify unless money is no object.
Thanks for the insights. I definitely anticipate trying out the Ritz at some point, and I'm glad I realized that the pool area is different and on the roof of the JW (I can see this being a game-changer for swimmers and relaxers).
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:00 am

Staying here for four nights

at check in was told that the lounge was still closed

instead buffet breakfast is offered in the lobby restaurant

as a platinum was told no suites available for upgrade for my length of stay even though marriott app clearly showed availability and given a king room on the 17th floor with a city view which is what I had booked.

also was not offered a welcome gift at checkin

Had to follow up after check in about the welcome gift and was told first that a 4 pm late checkout was proactively offered and that was my gift. Then told I was already offered breakfast and I advised them that breakfast was offered in lieu of lounge being closed. Finally they said that I had already been offered the points, even though there was no mention of this at checkin and technically I should have been given a choice between points or the 10 dollar food and beverage credit

30 daily destination fee is charged with a 20 dollar food and beverage credit which can be used at hotel restaurants as well as some other minor benefits such as free daily popcorn at the movie theater across the street, entry to the Grammy museum, morning yoga, wine tasting and bowling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.