Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2002, 11:33 pm
Patron

I have stayed there for three nights, access to the property was easy (dust included).

Old Feb 13, 2002, 8:24 am
Original Member

I guess this is still not a good property to stay at then.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 12:34 pm

I stayed there 2/8/2002. No dust in the room, nor was there any evidence of dust or other pollutants, particulate or otherwise, in the air, inside or outside. I had a southside room, with a view of the Statue of Liberty.

There have been published reports of rooms at this hotel with "amazing" views of Ground Zero. I did not ask at the desk, since I thought it would be insensitive to the staff who lived through 9/11 and after.

However, there is a decent partial view of the eastern half of GZ from the hallway window (adjacent to the elevators) on floors 35-37. I had a mostly obstructed view from the same windows of the 24th floor.

Incidentally, this hotel housed the Red Cross workers and others in the 3 months following 9/11. The redesign of lobby was mostly completed before 9/11, as part of a planned conversion to a J.W. Marriott (boutique) hotel. That conversion will not happen, since the nearby Marriott at WTC was destroyed.

The hotel is literally next to GZ, except for 90 West St. and a small church. The streetscape is alive with folks working on Ground Zero, but the hotel and the restaraunt, Roy's, is an oasis, if you want it to be.

It is one of the most interesting stays I have ever had in the hotel. Marriott, the hotel's management and staff, and all of the folks I encountered outside earned my deepest respect from my stay there.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I stayed there on February 9. I had room 2402. Rooms above the 20th floor ending in "02" have views of Ground Zero, although they are certainly not "fantastic" views. You can see about one-third of the site. Rooms ending in "01" have slightly worse views.

The hotel is perfectly clean and nice. I would definitely stay there again. They are running a special rate of $105/night right now, which I got.

Bruce
Old Feb 13, 2002, 10:26 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
I stayed there on February 9. I had room 2402. Rooms above the 20th floor ending in "02" have views of Ground Zero, although they are certainly not "fantastic" views. You can see about one-third of the site. Rooms ending in "01" have slightly worse views.

The hotel is perfectly clean and nice. I would definitely stay there again. They are running a special rate of $105/night right now, which I got.

Bruce
</font>

I agree. The hotel is fine (actually cleaner that Newark or LaGuardia)
The view of GZ will leave you speechless if you haven't seen it.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 7:10 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've visited there, and it is nice now as it always was!

---

Yep! As Bruce say!

New York Marriott Financial Center
$105 per room, per night. Rate available Thursday through Sunday, must include a Friday or Saturday stay, from January 17th through September 2, 2002

New York Marriott Financial Center &gt;&gt;
$105 per room, per night for dates listed above
Check Availability &gt;&gt;
Promotion Code : M11

To make room reservations at any of the participating hotels listed below, click on the "check availability" link, or call 1-800-Marriott and quote promotional code M11.

http://www.marriottrewards.com/mes/m...OfferCode=W092

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001375.html
Old Feb 15, 2002, 11:00 am
Commander Catcop

I plan to stay at this hotel in March partly to get a Marriott stay, partly because I have last night plans in town, partly because I loved teh 105 a night rate (In New York City unless you are doing Priceline this is an awesome rate) and 500 bonus Marriott Rewards points and partly because I want to support the hotel staff as it recovers following 9-11.

Before that day, this was a great hotel, only exceeed by its now former neighboring property, the great Marriott World Trade Center.

Auditor: it's your decision and I can't speak how the hotel is now, but it is a good hotel.
Will post after my stay.

Old Feb 15, 2002, 12:10 pm
Original Member

Thanks for all the input. Will stay at the Marquis to be close to the shows. Long time no see, Catman. (tipping hat)

[This message has been edited by TheAuditor (edited 02-15-2002).]
Old Feb 16, 2002, 6:55 pm

Try the Righa Royal JW Marriott instead of the Marquis. Fantastic suite hotel and elevators that work.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
JW Marriott New York vs Marriott Marquis

I have the choice either to stay at the Marquis or the JW on an upcoming leisure trip to New York. I know the Marquis with all of its disadvantages but I still like the hotel because of its location. Also the breakfast buffet is very good there and this is an important point for me!

As for the JW I don't know it at all but it seems to be a good bet as they have suites for just 10 $ more than regular deluxe rooms at the Marquis. Any ideas on how good their breakfast buffet is? Do they also serve eggs, waffles... on the buffet? Are the rooms tired since it is a bargain compared to the Marquis?

Muerz
Old Apr 2, 2002, 11:27 am
Patron

I am usually staying at the Marriott Marquis but I tried JW Marriott on a weekend last fall in case of a promo.

Assuming rates are pretty much the same, I prefer the Marquis, even the rooms in JW are much bigger and prettier. It´s the view that counts for me and as a regular guest, Marquis threat me very well.

I can not compare the buffett places.

Old Apr 2, 2002, 4:29 pm

I guess it depends on what you like. Location shouldn't be a differentiator, since both hotels are within a 5 minute walk of each other. The rooms at the JW are definitely bigger, but the style and furnishings are somewhat older. The Marquis has somewhat more comfortable king/queen beds, but I can't stand their doubles (too hard). I haven't tried either breakfast buffet, although it's a fairly safe bet that the Marquis one is superior.

I personally prefer the JW, as I like to get away from the tourist hordes that make the Marquis into a zoo, with crowded elevators, excited children, etc. But if the tourist experience is what you're looking for...

Enjoy,
-Zombie-
Old Apr 2, 2002, 9:28 pm

I'm replying from the 42nd floor of the JW. I have stayed at both properties several times, and in my view they're not subject to even hasty comparison. I think the JW is infinitely better. The location is perfect but more discreet than the Marquis. Much more quiet. No throngs of tourists to battle with. In the last 2 days I've been on elevators with Don King, Alan Alda, and Al Pacino, all of whom reported to stay here "all the time." Pacino apparently gets the big suite on 52 regularly. Rooms are much bigger at JW, and service isn't even comparable. Perhaps the JW service is so much better because most of the staff are left-over from the pre-Marriott Rihga Royal, which was (is, maybe) considered one of the premier hotels in Manhattan. Get a room high-up and the views will be amazing. Also, huge bathrooms with upgraded amenities. Only drawback is lack of concierge lounge, but the free gold/plat breakfast is just fine. Also the JW's restaurant, Halcyon, is excellent. JW is a more luxurious and relaxing property and finds a rare bit of tranquility in the middle of the city.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 9:52 pm

I prefer the Righa JW to the Marquis. You age just waiting for the Marquis elevators, and the location is exciting for first time visitors to TimesSquare but that's it. The shops and restaurants around the JW are great and the whole area is cleaner. Love the JW's separate bedroom and the heated toilet seats that even wash you!! Parking costs more than at the Marquis. I found getting out of the Marquis was tiring in itself as it's such a huge complex.
Old Jun 16, 2002, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), MR Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
NY: Marquis or Renaissance Times Square?

Hi, everyone --

Very simple question: going to a play in New York, which is the better choice -- Marriott Marquis or the Renaissance Times Square? Prices are within $10 of each other, would prefer a larger room since I'm sharing with someone, kinda remember that the Marquis rooms were a little smallish...

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.