Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin New York at Times Square, NY, 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin New York at Times Square, NY, 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: US air -chairman, SPG-Plat, Hyatt - Dmnd, Hilton -Dmnd, Hertz - five star
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
What does this mean?
I need to call the hotel to see why they overcharged me $227.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
anybody happen to have the new GMs (Terry Lewis') e-mail address? have a special occasion I wanted to contact him about. Thanks and happy holidays!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 2:44 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Back to back less than exciting stays at this property.

We go to NYC 5-6 times/year, for all the major holiday weekends for theater, sporting events, and dining with friends, and stay here most of the time. We were choosing this for location, but it didn't hurt that we made a friend there who always got us a nice corner room, on a higher floor, at a good rate. Friend recently got a well deserved promotion, after making bookings for us for the remainder of 2011 and the first half of 2012, but it's not the same.

Used to be, we'd show up at 11AM or noon on Saturday, and our room would be ready and we could check right in. Over Thanksgiving and this weekend, the room wasn't ready until 3PM. Hey, it's their right, so no biggie. For Thanksgiving, though, our Gold status wasn't recognized. Not that I care about "we thank you for your Gold status", or the key holder that says "Gold" on it, but what's the point of loyalty if they don't even know it's happening? And last time, we had booked a higher floor, but got put in a lower one. Again, no big deal, but there was a little more traffic noise, and isn't the point of booking a higher floor (and they call it something else and charge you a few bucks more) that you get that higher floor?

So when we checked out last time, we commented on this, and the Manager on Duty, promised us he'd upgrade our room for this weekend.

Checked online after we got home, he moved us from a higher corner room, to the highest floors (more expensive), but a non corner room. Which doesn't have the views or the size of the corners. So we canceled that, and booked our own corner room instead (price had dropped, so we got what we had originally booked). Of course we couldn't check in when we arrived, and they had put us on a very low floor. Explained about what happened last time, and they agreed to upgrade us . . . to the floor we booked.

Bill came this morning, included over $200 of minibar charges. Wasn't a problem to get that taken off but was interesting to be told "if you move them the sensors charge you". Hell, I don't even know where the minibar is in the room. Told them that we've stayed there 20-25 times, and never had a minibar charge, and they removed it, but I'm getting the idea they no longer want us staying there.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Had a decent stay for 5 nights over new years, got upgraded to a corner room on the 42nd floor, checked in around 9 am and our room was not ready but we were given a 2 double bed club room on the 11th floor until 2 pm. I was more than happy with that. Everything else went smoothly.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA G
Has anyone had a positive experience here in the last month? All of the recent posts make this place sound shady; I'm tempted to stay with the Hilton Financial District (as an HH Gold vs. SPG Gold).
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by unavaca
Has anyone had a positive experience here in the last month? All of the recent posts make this place sound shady; I'm tempted to stay with the Hilton Financial District (as an HH Gold vs. SPG Gold).
What's positive to you?

For my stay during new year's I was just looking for a good upgrade and an early check-in, both were granted and I was happy.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
Originally Posted by unavaca
Has anyone had a positive experience here in the last month?
I stayed here a couple of weeks after Thanksgiving. As a Plat, was upgraded to the atrium club (or whatever they call it). Nice room, thought it was rather large for NYC. Club is fine, but the people who work there are only interested in getting you to fill out the attendance form. Food, coffee, and other beverage selection in the lounge is fine. The gym still feels small and cramped. Overall, descent Plat recognition, great location, large & comfy room.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I get wonderful service from the staff in the lounge. They go above and beyond for me (a semi-frequent stayer at this hotel).
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Stayed at this property after about a 1 year hiatus. Was fairly regular (couple of times a month) about two years ago, but stopped staying here when the platinum upgrades dried up along with a better property opening in the nearby area (The Chatwal).

Checked in later on a Tuesday night only to find out that my King size reservation couldn't be honored in regards to room type. After being acknowledged by the front desk staff that yes, my reservation was for a king, I then had to remind that room type is guaranteed.

Hemming and hawing resulted from the front desk agent, only to confirm that they couldn't accomodate me. After reminding about the guarantee, the agent stood dumfounded for a while until I recommended that he bring out a manager.

So the evening manager comes out and reiterates the impossibility of accomodating me per the guarantee, until after a while I have to suggest the possibility of...wait for it...compensation!

I really wish the manager would have come to this suggestion on his own but at least we got there. 10,000 point offer was quickly upped to 14,000 (more than fair in my opinion as this is more than a free night at this property). Also indicated that my room would be moved for the second night and upgraded if possible - it was to what appeared to be a Jr. Suite. Additionally, I requested that the GM give me a call to discuss my disappointment.

I did have to chase down the points and they finally posted to my account a week after the stay. Unfortunately, I never recieved a call from the GM or anyone in senior management for that matter - given that I reminded the night manager about this request in person and via email and he indicated that the request had been forwarded, I can only assume that the property leadership flat out doesn't care.

Too bad, but I'll be voting with my dollars...looks like the hiatus is back on indefinitely.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vandalby
Checked in later on a Tuesday night only to find out that my King size reservation couldn't be honored in regards to room type. After being acknowledged by the front desk staff that yes, my reservation was for a king, I then had to remind that room type is guaranteed.

Hemming and hawing resulted from the front desk agent, only to confirm that they couldn't accomodate me. After reminding about the guarantee, the agent stood dumfounded for a while until I recommended that he bring out a manager.

So the evening manager comes out and reiterates the impossibility of accomodating me per the guarantee, until after a while I have to suggest the possibility of...wait for it...compensation!

I really wish the manager would have come to this suggestion on his own but at least we got there. 10,000 point offer was quickly upped to 14,000 (more than fair in my opinion as this is more than a free night at this property). Also indicated that my room would be moved for the second night and upgraded if possible - it was to what appeared to be a Jr. Suite. Additionally, I requested that the GM give me a call to discuss my disappointment.

I did have to chase down the points and they finally posted to my account a week after the stay. Unfortunately, I never recieved a call from the GM or anyone in senior management for that matter - given that I reminded the night manager about this request in person and via email and he indicated that the request had been forwarded, I can only assume that the property leadership flat out doesn't care.

Too bad, but I'll be voting with my dollars...looks like the hiatus is back on indefinitely.
vandalby- I had the same problem at this hotel. I was booked club and they were not able to accomodate me- so put me in a regular room. It was midnight when I arrived at the hotel- so no options except take the regular room. After a few emails with CCS I was finally able to get the hotel to refund the difference in room rate.

I have stayed at other options since.

The service of this hotel is really poor. Service recovery also. They are too busy.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
vandalby- I had the same problem at this hotel. I was booked club and they were not able to accomodate me- so put me in a regular room. It was midnight when I arrived at the hotel- so no options except take the regular room. After a few emails with CCS I was finally able to get the hotel to refund the difference in room rate.

I have stayed at other options since.

The service of this hotel is really poor. Service recovery also. They are too busy.
I've definitely noted the same thing. Their attitude seemed to change about 2 - 3 years ago. According to a front desk rep (so take with grain of salt) they're focusing on attracting as much meeting / convention business as possible. This was one of the main reasons cited for the reduction in suite upgrades - they're using those rooms as 'throw ins' to attract the meeting / convention decision makers.

I can't blame them for the approach, although it does align with the perceived service decline. Why go out of your way to take care of guests when most of them are likely one-stay conventioneers who are unlikely to ever return again? If it's the direction they want to go, that's fine, but for me as a frequent business traveler looking for a home away from home...well, they're just not going to get much of my business. It was tough enough for this property once the W New York - Times Square's rates started to float in the same range, but now with the addition of The Chatwal nearby, I can't imagine why any steady traveler would select this property.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vandalby
It was tough enough for this property once the W New York - Times Square's rates started to float in the same range, but now with the addition of The Chatwal nearby, I can't imagine why any steady traveler would select this property.
I also don't like the W (very noisy lobby- indifferent staff attitudes- dark rooms that are difficult to work in), however the Chatwal has become a nice addition to be sure. Around Bryant Park there are a number of very nice options.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
I'm staying here for the first time next week, so the reviews are a lot less than encouraging.

But my stay in early January at the W Union Square was so terrible that I simply refuse to repeat *that* experience again any time soon. Maybe it's just me, but I'm startled by how badly some Starwood hotels take care of customers, especially Platinum customers.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Originally Posted by signothetimes53
I'm staying here for the first time next week, so the reviews are a lot less than encouraging.

But my stay in early January at the W Union Square was so terrible that I simply refuse to repeat *that* experience again any time soon. Maybe it's just me, but I'm startled by how badly some Starwood hotels take care of customers, especially Platinum customers.
I checked out today from a great stay

Got upgraded to a suite on the 43rd floor at check in

great room, very attentive staff, nice spread in the lounge

This was my first stay at this hotel and I would certainly return
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM Miler, Bonvoy Titanium, occasional AA Gold
My experience

I would overall rate my stay at about a C-.

Room: I asked for, and was given, an Atrium Club room but it was standard size. As I now know, Atrium Club doesn't really mean anything except that you're in the same elevator bank as the lounge ( floors 8 - 23), so it's easier to get to the lounge. However, as a Plat, I would have gotten lounge access anyway so next time would opt for a higher floor and possibly a bigger room (even though that means an elevator change for the lounge).

Plumbing: Water pressure is really low (as in the water barely makes it from the tub faucet up to the shower head), and hot water takes a long time to arrive (3 - 5 minutes). I called engineering about this but go no noticeable relief.

Internet: Poor (grade F) 0.50 Mb download, 0.38 Mb Upload

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1762024912.png

Lounge food and service: The breakfast spread was well above average but there is no hot food except oatmeal and one small hot item each day, such as blintzes or miniature grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Yes, it's annoying to be asked for a tip when you sign in. I usually give them cash when I leave, and that's what I did here. So I left the tip line blank and gave cash at the end, and no one seemed to give me attitude about it. Actually the staff in the lounge was great.

Much touted in-room iMac was dead. The next day, IT brought a new one.

Lighting in room was very poor. Desk lamp was an LED "arm" that cast light basically directly underneath it and that was it.

I come here frequently. Next time I'll try Chatwal or W Times Square.

Last edited by 60614; Feb 9, 2012 at 6:39 am Reason: correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.