Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeHomeAA
Agree on this comment.
Unfortunately, around Aug 1 lounge food offerings have been changed. No longer will you find strawberries, watermelon, blueberries, melon and other fresh food in the morning. It has all been replaced by selection of yoghurts. In addition different bagels and pastries are available with cream cheese. Coffee served from thermoses in addition to regular machines is of prety lousy quality *bucks label notwithstanding. No peaches, or cherries or other what can be called "premium" fruit in the afternoon, just some apples, oranges and banana, with some cereal bars. Cash bar advertising 90+ rating wines in full force, but for the price, it's better to go out: you are in the middle of Manhattan after all.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:27 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
The hotel of choice for US Open referees who have been charged with killing their spouse.

The police arrested a professional tennis referee at a Manhattan hotel on Tuesday on a charge of murder in the death of her husband in April. The referee, Lois Ann Goodman, nicknamed Lolo, was in New York to work the United States Open.

The police in California, Storaker said, worked with the New York Police Department to find out which hotel the referees were staying in for the Open. The police arrested Goodman around 8 a.m. at the Sheraton hotel at 811 Seventh Ave. in Midtown. The police wanted to keep the arrest low-key, Storaker added, but would have arrested Goodman at the tournament itself if necessary.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Stayed at the Sheraton NY two days ago...all-in-all I was pleasantly surprised after having read thru this forum. My only disappointment was how very very small the "upgraded" room was, albeit on a club level. Mrs. STARFLEET and I had to take turns walking between the bed and the desk...and, no, we aren't that fat!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by STARFLEET
Stayed at the Sheraton NY two days ago...all-in-all I was pleasantly surprised after having read thru this forum. My only disappointment was how very very small the "upgraded" room was, albeit on a club level. Mrs. STARFLEET and I had to take turns walking between the bed and the desk...and, no, we aren't that fat!
Hmm, I may now be in that room. 50th floor, and I can't recall ever being in a room so small at this hotel.

I was also unhappy to see that this "newly renovated" room has lost the bathtub and is now one of those "walk in" showers. This is not a plus in my book. Give us a choice! I was told (again) that there were no club level king rooms with tubs in this hotel. I'm running into this more and more often and it may be enough to push me back to Hyatt.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by joanek
Hmm.....
I was also unhappy to see that this "newly renovated" room has lost the bathtub and is now one of those "walk in" showers. This is not a plus in my book. Give us a choice! I was told (again) that there were no club level king rooms with tubs in this hotel. I'm running into this more and more often and it may be enough to push me back to Hyatt.
Well, don't rush. I am finding more and more HYATTS that are removing them. A hassle for those with young children...and I agree - please provide a choice!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
Well, don't rush. I am finding more and more HYATTS that are removing them. A hassle for those with young children...and I agree - please provide a choice!

I hope you're complaining to the hotels and the chain. I've started to do so. I've been told they're starting to get complaints.

One manager told me their business travelers didn't want 'em, but another has told me that it's purely financial. A tub takes longer to clean than a shower, so you can have a smaller housekeeping staff.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:06 pm

Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Btw, at this hotel: no tubs in any room on the club floors, king or double. Was told they could put me in a low floor double, but it wouldn't be as quiet. C'mon SPG, give your preferred guests a choice!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by joanek
Hmm, I may now be in that room. 50th floor, and I can't recall ever being in a room so small at this hotel.
Joanek, we were on 48, but the replaced tub was the same. Were it not for the fact that the location of the controls for the shower necessitate being drenched with cold water when turning it on, I don't mind not having to stand in a narrow tub while showering. To me the new arrangement is a "plus."

I didn't bother to check suite [read: Plat upgrade] inventory online upon arrival, as we were only there for a quick overnight, but between the miniscule room and $13/glass wine prices in the Club, a better lower floor room might have been a preferred option?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by STARFLEET
Joanek, we were on 48, but the replaced tub was the same. Were it not for the fact that the location of the controls for the shower necessitate being drenched with cold water when turning it on, I don't mind not having to stand in a narrow tub while showering. To me the new arrangement is a "plus."

I didn't bother to check suite [read: Plat upgrade] inventory online upon arrival, as we were only there for a quick overnight, but between the miniscule room and $13/glass wine prices in the Club, a better lower floor room might have been a preferred option?
Yes, a better lower room floor would be nice. But not an option here or at the Westin GC---there's no such thing as a "better" room on the lower floors. No suites available for a PLT, and the manager told me the lower floors are usually full with tours and other large groups and therefore noisier. And they're not considered "SPG" floors, so perhaps the furnishings are not the same.

I noticed that cold water feature, too.

My issue is really that there's no choice of either a tub or shower at many of renovated hotels. If you only want a shower, that's fine. But those of us who prefer a tub have only the option of an accessible room or a double bedded room, neither of which are considered premium or platinum upgrades. Giving me an "accessible" room means someone who truly needs one might not get it), The same goes for a double bedded room (again, someone who needs 2 beds can't have them.

All I'm suggesting is that hotels have SOME "premium" rooms available that have bathtubs, rather than removing them from all rooms. This wasn't an issue a year or two ago, but we're starting to see it a renovated locations.

That said, I'm told we won't be seeing this at hotels in Europe and Asia, where customers prefer a bath.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Unfortunately, around Aug 1 lounge food offerings have been changed. No longer will you find strawberries, watermelon, blueberries, melon and other fresh food in the morning. It has all been replaced by selection of yoghurts. In addition different bagels and pastries are available with cream cheese. Coffee served from thermoses in addition to regular machines is of prety lousy quality *bucks label notwithstanding. No peaches, or cherries or other what can be called "premium" fruit in the afternoon, just some apples, oranges and banana, with some cereal bars. Cash bar advertising 90+ rating wines in full force, but for the price, it's better to go out: you are in the middle of Manhattan after all.
I am staying at the Sheraton NY right now and my experience was consistent with the comments, although the club lounge has improved aesthetically the offering has turned pathetic - a bunch of carb filled bakery items, apples / bananas, and yogurt. It truly disappoints me that the signature property has one of the worst club lounge spreads in the chain.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:35 am

I check in tomorrow for a 5 night award stay, any recommendations on how i can increase my possibility of getting a suite upgrade (i know its NYE in NYC so not all that optimistic) and if regular room or club room which floor is good to possibly get a south facing room on to get a view of the ball drop.

I am a GOLD and made the reservation on my account since my partner (PLT) didn't have points. but i called the hotel and asked to add her name and spg number to get the benefits since we will be staying together.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
If you want the upgrade that much, you're going to have to pay for it (assuming it's available). Even in a slow period, a gold at a NY hotel staying for five days is going to find it very, very difficult. For that matter, a Platinum would, also.

Mike

(ETA: Didn't see that partner's benefits would be used.)

Last edited by mikeef; Dec 28, 2012 at 12:11 pm
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
NY hotels

Originally Posted by mikeef
If you want the upgrade that much, you're going to have to pay for it (assuming it's available). Even in a slow period, a gold at a NY hotel staying for five days is going to find it very, very difficult. For that matter, a Platinum would, also.

Mike
As a Platinum, i would concur.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Nfldflyer
As a Platinum, i would concur.
thanks guys. According to the hotel, we will recieve PLT benefits. Now its only upto getting lucky to possibly get either a suite or at least a south facing room to be able to see the ball drop.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
thanks guys. According to the hotel, we will recieve PLT benefits. Now its only upto getting lucky to possibly get either a suite or at least a south facing room to be able to see the ball drop.
If you check the announcements page, you will see this property, like pretty well all NYC *wood properties, indicates there are no ball drop rooms available. They are spoken for well - years? - in advance.

You really should keep your expectations in check.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.