Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Whilst I write my short review, just some FYI's
  • As an Ambassador (other Elites where there too) I was invited to Wine tasting on Wednesday with their Somalia, which was VERY good.
  • Also due to status, I was invited to evening drinks on the arrival dock by the General Manager (who is a fantastic guy) with all his senior managers and also backroom staff - highly recommend.
  • Multiple Gifts in the room during the day from Brownies, to other sweet treats and bottled water (not their filtered water which is in the room).
  • I only heard this from one of the senior managers when talking at the evening drinks that there are talks of Marriot Resorts (W, St Regis and JW) getting a dedicated Sea Plane (not sure who would operate this, I was asking as I am a Private Pilot and what a job it would be) just for their resorts, but I did not get the chance to ask the GM.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:31 am

Hey guys,

I have a reservation at both the W Maldives and St Regis. I booked both on points before the upgrade. For the W, it's 5 nights in OVW villa at 240k (1 free night). St Regis didn't have 5 consecutive nights so I booked 3 nights in regular villa and 2 nights in OVW for 340k (no free night). I contacted Marriott to ask if I could get 1 night in the regular villa free but they refused. Now, I'm trying to determine which is worth it. Transferring rooms in St Regis might be a hassle. Also, the points are 100k more which would have to come from my Chase and could be used towards other rewards.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by gbenrus25
Hey guys,

I have a reservation at both the W Maldives and St Regis. I booked both on points before the upgrade. For the W, it's 5 nights in OVW villa at 240k (1 free night). St Regis didn't have 5 consecutive nights so I booked 3 nights in regular villa and 2 nights in OVW for 340k (no free night). I contacted Marriott to ask if I could get 1 night in the regular villa free but they refused. Now, I'm trying to determine which is worth it. Transferring rooms in St Regis might be a hassle. Also, the points are 100k more which would have to come from my Chase and could be used towards other rewards.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
I have just come back from 6 nights at the W Maldives, I booked the Beach Villa but was upgraded to OWV. It is by far the best W I have stayed at (Ive stayed, Verbier, London, Paris, Boston, Atlanta, San Fran, Hong Kong). I have not stayed at St Regis, but I would not say it is worth the extra points/nights. Also, depends what luxury you are after? St Regis is very formal luxury and W is more relaxed Luxury and more personal etc.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
I have just come back from 6 nights at the W Maldives, I booked the Beach Villa but was upgraded to OWV. It is by far the best W I have stayed at (Ive stayed, Verbier, London, Paris, Boston, Atlanta, San Fran, Hong Kong). I have not stayed at St Regis, but I would not say it is worth the extra points/nights. Also, depends what luxury you are after? St Regis is very formal luxury and W is more relaxed Luxury and more personal etc.
Thanks! The W. keeps getting described as a party resort. Not really sure what that means at the Maldives but would love to feel like we're at a luxurious resort. Was there a lot of interaction with other guests or was it more secluded for you guys?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
hey,

the choice between the two islands is very much a choice of whether you want a “nice holiday in the maldives where you feel like you’re in america” or a “nice holiday in the maldives where you feel like you’re in america but slightly less”

im a frequent maldives traveler (my 7th visit will be next march) and i’ve booked the W. i don’t think that either resort provides the quintessential maldivian experience as they’re both quite commercial and americanized but i just dont find the st regis to be pretty both architecturally and naturally. sure, it’s really interesting looking, but way out of place for the maldives. the rooms look like spaceships for crying out loud!

also, i’m very picky about this, but the lagoon color at the regis is off. it’s some weirdish shade of green and blue and for sure not the milky blue i’ve seen at other islands.

i mean, look at the regis:

vs the W

the W is a much nicer island (albeit still overbuilt as you can see above). however, at least 1/3 of their OWV don’t face the island directly like they do at the regis, and the snorkeling will no doubt be better here than at the regis since south ari is known for their great reefs.

at the regis, i feel like you could be anywhere in the world, however at the W they at least kept some traditional maldivian aspects like thatched roofs, no sea barriers in the lagoon, etc for me it’s an easy choice for the W, especially because it’s also cheaper!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:22 am

Thanks! The W. keeps getting described as a party resort. Not really sure what that means at the Maldives but would love to feel like we're at a luxurious resort. Was there a lot of interaction with other guests or was it more secluded for you guys?
I actually went there on my own (wanted to shut off the world for 6 days to relax and reset). Would I say it is a party resort, no, certainly would not go there for a party etc. However, they do have happy hour etc at the pool where their resident DJ plays. However, this is not all day every day. All the villa's have Bose sound system inside and out, so I guess if you have party neighbours then possibly could hear their music etc.

I have not been to any other Maldives resort, so I can not comment if its more luxury than others. However I loved it. The staff are way more friendly and will happily sit and chat with you (if you wish) .
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by rvlcr
hey,

the choice between the two islands is very much a choice of whether you want a “nice holiday in the maldives where you feel like you’re in america” or a “nice holiday in the maldives where you feel like you’re in america but slightly less”

im a frequent maldives traveler (my 7th visit will be next march) and i’ve booked the W. i don’t think that either resort provides the quintessential maldivian experience as they’re both quite commercial and americanized but i just dont find the st regis to be pretty both architecturally and naturally. sure, it’s really interesting looking, but way out of place for the maldives. the rooms look like spaceships for crying out loud!

also, i’m very picky about this, but the lagoon color at the regis is off. it’s some weirdish shade of green and blue and for sure not the milky blue i’ve seen at other islands.

i mean, look at the regis:

vs the W

the W is a much nicer island (albeit still overbuilt as you can see above). however, at least 1/3 of their OWV don’t face the island directly like they do at the regis, and the snorkeling will no doubt be better here than at the regis since south ari is known for their great reefs.

at the regis, i feel like you could be anywhere in the world, however at the W they at least kept some traditional maldivian aspects like thatched roofs, no sea barriers in the lagoon, etc for me it’s an easy choice for the W, especially because it’s also cheaper!
Thanks for your feedback! Lol @ americanized. Just wondering, have you stayed at STR yet during any of your previous visits? My wife also feels the water isn't as blue and the reef isn't that nice from the pics we've seen but I wonder if that's a view shared by people who've stayed there.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:41 am

Thanks for your feedback! Lol @ americanized. Just wondering, have you stayed at STR yet during any of your previous visits? My wife also feels the water isn't as blue and the reef isn't that nice from the pics we've seen but I wonder if that's a view shared by people who've stayed there.
no this is my first time visiting a chain resort in the maldives so we’ll see how it goes... i’ve been to Ayada, Outrigger Konotta, Constance Moofushi, Amari Havodda, Kuramathi and Veligandu all of which are more “maldivian” than the marriott resorts but i would say less luxurious (except for maybe Ayada and Konotta)

i know for a fact that the reef at W will be better than the reef at the regis but the lagoon color is more of a personal view that first time travelers would honestly not even notice, which is why this is not a highly discussed topic. ive researched the regis extensively and it’s just not a pretty color of blue by maldives standards. i go to the maldives exclusively for lagoon and reef (luxurious rooms are an added bonus) so regardless of how flashy and nice the rooms at the regis are i’m never going to visit it bc from a natural standpoint i’m going to be disappointed.

the W is honestly already pushing it given how many WV they were able to fit in the lagoon. i’m actually pairing the W with another super low key resort called Aaaveee (it’s one of the few resorts thats kept true to how the maldives were 20+ years ago) so i’m very excited for that.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Ambassador question

Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
Whilst I write my short review, just some FYI's
  • As an Ambassador (other Elites where there too) I was invited to Wine tasting on Wednesday with their Somalia, which was VERY good.
  • Also due to status, I was invited to evening drinks on the arrival dock by the General Manager (who is a fantastic guy) with all his senior managers and also backroom staff - highly recommend.
  • Multiple Gifts in the room during the day from Brownies, to other sweet treats and bottled water (not their filtered water which is in the room).
  • I only heard this from one of the senior managers when talking at the evening drinks that there are talks of Marriot Resorts (W, St Regis and JW) getting a dedicated Sea Plane (not sure who would operate this, I was asking as I am a Private Pilot and what a job it would be) just for their resorts, but I did not get the chance to ask the GM.
Hello! I have been at Ambassador status for a couple months now due to work. Booked the W Maldives for my honeymoon next month on points. Thanks for these tidbits of info! Is there anything else I can expect as an Ambassador status? Should I check in with my own personal ambassador before arriving? (Sorry, I'm relatively new to this whole world so don't know what I can take advantage of!) Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:03 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by hockeytravel
Hello! I have been at Ambassador status for a couple months now due to work. Booked the W Maldives for my honeymoon next month on points. Thanks for these tidbits of info! Is there anything else I can expect as an Ambassador status? Should I check in with my own personal ambassador before arriving? (Sorry, I'm relatively new to this whole world so don't know what I can take advantage of!) Thanks!
I'm not an Ambassador elite so I can't speak firsthand, but my general honeymoon advice is, let your hotel(s) know it's your honeymoon. You can do that via your ambassador, although I've heard the ambassadors have gone downhill somewhat since Marriott took over so I would probably also find a way to slip that information to the hotel too just in case the ambassador drops the ball. Like, send an email with some other questions and mention something about "we're excited to be coming on our honeymoon and were wondering about..." This hotel is good enough that they'll make a point to do something special.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by hockeytravel
This is my first year at Ambassador, and likely my last due to work travel reducing. I would do both channels, mention to your ambassador that you have booked this for a special occasion and mention honeymoon etc. Also, as mentioned above, email the hotel too, they are fantastic at the W Maldives and will likely provide you welcome gifts etc, depending on capacity they likely upgrade you too. My ambassador was very reactive and handled this all for me, but I may have got lucky with my Ambassador and got a good one.
I had my ambassador do all my sea plane transfers etc, so I did not even speak to the hotel until I arrived. Any questions let me know
hockeytravel likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
When is considered "low" season for the Maldives?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Now through September.

Of course, I went for a week last September (12th-18th) and it only rained severely on one day. The rest of the time it was either entirely sunny/partly cloudy, or it rained perhaps overnight, or for an hour lightly in the mid-afternoon. Think Florida weather, but better. Wife & I are returning (to the W this time, it was PH last time) in 2 weeks and are super stoked about it ^
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
low season is beginning of may till december. the monsoon changes from wet to dry in the first few weeks of december. december and january are what i would classify as transition months.

the monsoon doesn’t settle overnight but rather across a period of several weeks. this means that you can and most likely will find unsettled whether across the entire archipelago until the end of January (this is why January is dubbed one of the windiest months).

personally, i only travel to the maldives in March or April as i’ve has terrible experiences on the wet season. with that being said, i would rather pay half the price and go in august and *risk* it rather than pay hefty price tags for a January vacation and be left with lots of wind and rain.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, AA PPlat
Originally Posted by rvlcr

low season is beginning of may till december. the monsoon changes from wet to dry in the first few weeks of december. december and january are what i would classify as transition months.

the monsoon doesn’t settle overnight but rather across a period of several weeks. this means that you can and most likely will find unsettled whether across the entire archipelago until the end of January (this is why January is dubbed one of the windiest months).

personally, i only travel to the maldives in March or April as i’ve has terrible experiences on the wet season. with that being said, i would rather pay half the price and go in august and *risk* it rather than pay hefty price tags for a January vacation and be left with lots of wind and rain.
What can we expect in October - that was the only time our schedules matched for 2 weeks off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.