FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Maldives [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:41 am
rvlcr

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gbenrus25
Thanks for your feedback! Lol @ americanized. Just wondering, have you stayed at STR yet during any of your previous visits? My wife also feels the water isn't as blue and the reef isn't that nice from the pics we've seen but I wonder if that's a view shared by people who've stayed there.
no this is my first time visiting a chain resort in the maldives so we’ll see how it goes... i’ve been to Ayada, Outrigger Konotta, Constance Moofushi, Amari Havodda, Kuramathi and Veligandu all of which are more “maldivian” than the marriott resorts but i would say less luxurious (except for maybe Ayada and Konotta)

i know for a fact that the reef at W will be better than the reef at the regis but the lagoon color is more of a personal view that first time travelers would honestly not even notice, which is why this is not a highly discussed topic. ive researched the regis extensively and it’s just not a pretty color of blue by maldives standards. i go to the maldives exclusively for lagoon and reef (luxurious rooms are an added bonus) so regardless of how flashy and nice the rooms at the regis are i’m never going to visit it bc from a natural standpoint i’m going to be disappointed.

the W is honestly already pushing it given how many WV they were able to fit in the lagoon. i’m actually pairing the W with another super low key resort called Aaaveee (it’s one of the few resorts thats kept true to how the maldives were 20+ years ago) so i’m very excited for that.