Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Will08
Struggling to see what is worth paying the extra for?
Rates are actually very close, and LM offers a more generous cancel policy.
The rooms look pretty similar.
They don't to me. Furnishings and finishes are higher quality at LM.
From the photos the food looks exactly the same. I read somewhere that companies are being used to provide the food which could explain this.
I am interested to hear what those who have stayed have to offer on this point. My confirmation email says that LM offers 24 hour room service.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:05 pm

Any particular reason people are choosing LM over Courtyard by Marriott?

From the photos the food looks exactly the same. I read somewhere that companies are being used to provide the food which could explain this. The rooms look pretty similar as well. Struggling to see what is worth paying the extra for?
I can't comment on the ASQ stay at LM since I have not stayed there as an ASQ (only pre-COVID), but the rooms are better at LM, no doubt. As far as food, I would say LM offers far more food in quantity (quality looks similar) but the Courtyard is definitely better than the cheap ASQ hotels. The small plastic box meals people complain about at the cheaper ASQ hotels is not a thing at either LM or Courtyard. I stayed at the Courtyard for ASQ and never wanted additional room service but it was available. Not sure about 24 hour though. I stayed at the Courtyard over LM simply because they had smoking rooms available, which is something LM did not offer when I did my ASQ stay. If LM offered smoking rooms, I would have stayed at LM over Courtyard in a heartbeat. The price difference isn't huge between the two for ASQ, so if the better room and more food is worth it to you, then go for LM, but Courtyard is fine.
renila, EuropeanPete and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I am interested to hear what those who have stayed have to offer on this point. My confirmation email says that LM offers 24 hour room service.
I cannot comment on Courtyard by Marriott. I chose LM after reading the positive experiences two FT members had with ASQ stays here. The cancel policy is very important, due to changing entry requirements and possible flight delays and cancellations. I had previously had a ASQ stay at Anantara Riverside, which was more expensive and the food, while adequate, was not as impressive. (Anantara Riverside does offer balcony with view of Chao Phraya River though.) The food at LM is outstanding, in my opinion. There are three meal choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Every day of the week is different. For b/f one can order expresso, americano, cappuccino or latte, as well as various teas and hot chocolate. The quantity of food was always more than adequate. On arrival, there were cookies, potato chips, water bottles, as well as the usual amenities (comb, toothbrush and paste, wipes, soaps, ...) in the room. There are individual shampoo containers. Requests such as more coffee packages were promptly addressed. I also qualified for double Marriott status nights. One gets a chocolate dog in a box as a gift on check-out.

There are only two minor points to be aware of. There is no balcony and windows do not open, like most hotels in central Bangkok. Also drinks are not included with lunch or dinner. So I ordered a Coke with dinner 100 THB is then added to your bill. I did not use room service.
LIH Prem and estnet like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:19 pm

"chocolate dog in a box"

love it. Courtyard can't beat that.

-David
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
"chocolate dog in a box"

love it. Courtyard can't beat that.

-David
Is that a new gift? For years there was the delicious chocolate dried mango slices that lasted about 30 seconds in my hands and then a few years ago they switched to these pots of popcorn: one covered in something nasty sweet and the other a seaweed flavour which was inedible to my taste. I mean, I can eat seaweed snacks quite happily but as a flavour of popcorn it didn't work for me (second only to durian popcorn I had in Malaysia once - again I can eat the fruit but not its derivatives like on pizza) and it even stayed uneaten when left in the snacks cupboard at my place of work which - for the record - was in mainland China and they can eat anything as snacks.

So, is the chocolate dog a new welcome gift? How about the chocolate slices that are found by the bed? They're nice too. Does it replace them?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Is that a new gift? For years there was the delicious chocolate dried mango slices that lasted about 30 seconds in my hands and then a few years ago they switched to these pots of popcorn: one covered in something nasty sweet and the other a seaweed flavour which was inedible to my taste. I mean, I can eat seaweed snacks quite happily but as a flavour of popcorn it didn't work for me (second only to durian popcorn I had in Malaysia once - again I can eat the fruit but not its derivatives like on pizza) and it even stayed uneaten when left in the snacks cupboard at my place of work which - for the record - was in mainland China and they can eat anything as snacks.

So, is the chocolate dog a new welcome gift? How about the chocolate slices that are found by the bed? They're nice too. Does it replace them?
This was my first stay at LM, so I cannot say if this is a new gift. I note Kalboz and goodeats21 have stayed here previously. No chocolate slices found by the bed. Perhaps times change. Of interest, I was told there were 40 guests at the hotel a few days ago. Clearly the hotel would appreciate some positive publicity.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:04 pm

...... and then a few years ago they switched to these pots of popcorn: one covered in something nasty sweet and the other a seaweed flavour which was inedible to my taste. I mean, I can eat seaweed snacks quite happily but as a flavour of popcorn it didn't work for me (second only to durian popcorn I had in Malaysia once - again I can eat the fruit but not its derivatives like on pizza) and it even stayed uneaten when left in the snacks cupboard at my place of work..........
Lol had to look up seaweed or durian popcorn. You weren't kidding.

ftrichard likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Regarding the same company providing the food, I am not sure there is any way to confirm or deny from a guest perspective. The food at LM was very good and seemed very fresh. I would be shocked if it was not prepared on site.
They also were happy to adjust my meal delivery times, which was important as I remained on USA time during my visit for work purposes. (and yes, I enjoyed omelettes for dinner and burgers/ribs for breakfast. Haha)

It did not have the feeling of mass produced / institutional cafeteria type food. Enjoyed most every meal very much.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
This was my first stay at LM, so I cannot say if this is a new gift. I note Kalboz and goodeats21 have stayed here previously. No chocolate slices found by the bed. Perhaps times change. Of interest, I was told there were 40 guests at the hotel a few days ago. Clearly the hotel would appreciate some positive publicity.
No chocolate slices by the bed. The arrival snacks for my ASQ stay were fresh fruit, and a selection of packaged snacks / drinks. A pic is in my original post on my stay here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33096222-post991.html
LIH Prem and estnet like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
One gets a chocolate dog in a box as a gift on check-out.
I'm okay with a bunny, but a dog?

Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
What is the difference in the cancellation policy? I thought they both had the same? For a 10 night stay there is about a 8,000 thb difference between the two.

I cannot comment on Courtyard by Marriott. I chose LM after reading the positive experiences two FT members had with ASQ stays here. The cancel policy is very important, due to changing entry requirements and possible flight delays and cancellations. I had previously had a ASQ stay at Anantara Riverside, which was more expensive and the food, while adequate, was not as impressive. (Anantara Riverside does offer balcony with view of Chao Phraya River though.) The food at LM is outstanding, in my opinion. There are three meal choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Every day of the week is different. For b/f one can order expresso, americano, cappuccino or latte, as well as various teas and hot chocolate. The quantity of food was always more than adequate. On arrival, there were cookies, potato chips, water bottles, as well as the usual amenities (comb, toothbrush and paste, wipes, soaps, ...) in the room. There are individual shampoo containers. Requests such as more coffee packages were promptly addressed. I also qualified for double Marriott status nights. One gets a chocolate dog in a box as a gift on check-out.

There are only two minor points to be aware of. There is no balcony and windows do not open, like most hotels in central Bangkok. Also drinks are not included with lunch or dinner. So I ordered a Coke with dinner 100 THB is then added to your bill. I did not use room service.
Courtyard by Marriott provide the same. I should add at this point I have previously done a 15 night stay a few months ago and whilst I had a pleasant stay at Courtyard By Marriott I have no allegiances to there and if it is worth paying the extra for LM I would go for it. I am just not seeing what that it. Previously I paid 52,500 thb but I also paid 17,000 thb for a treadmill which although was a blessing, the price has left a sour taste to the experience. They are now charging 8,000 thb for 10/11 nights. Does anyone have treadmill prices for LM?

Courtyard provided a soft drink at lunch and in the evening. Coffee was provided as part of the package for breakfast but all the others I ordered were charged at checkout.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:47 pm

What is the difference in the cancellation policy? I thought they both had the same? For a 10 night stay there is about a 8,000 thb difference between the two.
LM requires a 10% deposit to hold, with remainder due one day prior to arrival. The deposit is refundable up to 24 hours prior to arrival.
CY also requires a 10% deposit, with remainder due seven days prior to arrival. CY will assess a 50% cancellation fee if you cancel 3-6 days prior to arrival, and a 100% cancel fee inside of three days. They will also assess a 6% "administrative fee" on any refund.

Also, note that the Vista room at LM is listed at 36 sqm, vs. 30 sqm for Deluxe room at CY. Finally, I'll pay extra for the overall higher quality furnishings and finishes. Some people don't care about that, but I do.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:27 pm

LM requires a 10% deposit to hold, with remainder due one day prior to arrival. The deposit is refundable up to 24 hours prior to arrival.
CY also requires a 10% deposit, with remainder due seven days prior to arrival. CY will assess a 50% cancellation fee if you cancel 3-6 days prior to arrival, and a 100% cancel fee inside of three days. They will also assess a 6% "administrative fee" on any refund.

Also, note that the Vista room at LM is listed at 36 sqm, vs. 30 sqm for Deluxe room at CY. Finally, I'll pay extra for the overall higher quality furnishings and finishes. Some people don't care about that, but I do.
LM's flexible change / cancellation policy is very important. I did not need to take advantage of it, but I appreciated knowing it was there. I paid 10% deposit on booking, remainder one day prior to arrival, by credit card. The entry Covid-19 situation here seems to change almost daily.
LIH Prem, estnet and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:07 am

LM's flexible change / cancellation policy is very important.
Absolutely. Not just the generous terms, but the customer-friendly attitude it represents. While it may cost LM a few cancellation fees in the short term, this kind of approach builds long-term loyalty.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:49 am

LM's flexible change / cancellation policy is very important. I did not need to take advantage of it, but I appreciated knowing it was there. I paid 10% deposit on booking, remainder one day prior to arrival, by credit card. The entry Covid-19 situation here seems to change almost daily.
The Courtyard changed my reservation three times for me, twice within a seven days of arrival. I think the larger chain hotels in general tend to be more flexible and understanding during the pandemic.
Will08 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

For me if you have to pay 7 days out or one day out it is pretty irrelevant. By this point I would only not be turning up if I had been denied boarding which in either case I would be in the same position. Having said that, I believe both hotels would change your dates free of charge and subject to availability.

As for the rooms, Courtyard gave me an upgrade to a grand deluxe which is 35 sqm.

For interest - LM provide running machines for the same price - 8k for 10/11 nights.

I think the view would be a bit more stimulating at LM, Courtyard is quite a small building compared to the surroundings.

Im in two minds at the moment. It would be good to try LM for a good comparison and a change of scenery but I had no complaints with my previous stay and it is cheaper...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.