Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien, Bora Bora (rebranding to Westin, Opening May 2024) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This hotel was originally the Le Meridien Bora Bora hotel. For discussions, past experiences, and other information from before the transition use the following thread: Le Meridien bora bora [Master Thread]

Print Wikipost

Le Meridien, Bora Bora (rebranding to Westin, Opening May 2024) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2023, 11:44 pm

Westin Bora Bora (rebranded Le Meridien, Opening Nov 2023)

Looks like they are rebranding Le Meriden.

Old May 1, 2023, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Interesting... I wonder why the rebranding. Wouldn't Le Meridien be considered a lower classification/brand than Westin?
Old May 1, 2023, 3:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Westin will presumably have far better brand recognition in the US market.
Old May 1, 2023, 11:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by rylan
Interesting... I wonder why the rebranding. Wouldn't Le Meridien be considered a lower classification/brand than Westin?
No - both brands operate in the same upper-upscale space, but Le Méridien is positioned as a 'distinctive' brand under Marriott's umbrella while Westin is 'classic'. Distinctive brands have more design flair and lifestyle programming than classic brands, which have more timeless design and conventional elements.

Shame to see Le Méridien lose another flag, and more so being a French brand with a long presence in French Polynesia.

khabah
Old May 2, 2023, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah I figure better brand recognition of Westin for US market anyway... although is this hotel in Bora Bora primary interested in the US market?

From my experience yeah Westin is generally a more 'boring' and plainer hotel, but I've also gotten better service than over Le Meridien. Maybe they think they can charge more as a Westin.
Old May 4, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Reopening: Oct. 2023

The hotel Instagram page is confirming the re-opening of the hotel in October 2023.

https://www.instagram.com/lemeridienbora/?hl=en

Le Méridien Bora Bora
Hotel resort

Ia orana! 🌺
From Le Méridien Bora Bora luxury resort and the mythical Polynesian island. 🏝📸: @nosdren
🗓 Reopening: Oct. 2023, stay tuned 💙

lemeridien-borabora.com

Many posts on their Facebook page are asking the re-opening question, but I could not find a reply.

https://www.facebook.com/lemeridienborabora/
Old May 4, 2023, 3:33 pm

Interesting news from Le Meridian about October 2033 opening. Marriot just updated their website to show Westin will open May 2024. A week ago that date was November 2023. Any chance the Le Meridian and Westin are two different properties? Seems unlikely since Le Meridan has been removed from the Marriot website.

UASPG likes this.
Old May 6, 2023, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
This is more in line with what I was told when I was in Bora in February. One source, that knew some of the construction workers on the property, had told me that there was no way the hotel renovation would be completed this year.

[QUOTE=Traveler Dave;35224695] Any chance the Le Meridian and Westin are two different properties?[QUOTE]

No, this is the same property - as indicated earlier on this thread, Le Meridien Bora Bora is being rebranded as a Westin.

Last edited by UASPG; May 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Old Jun 5, 2023, 10:46 am

Wonder when they’ll open up availability for booking
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:13 pm

I just read a short piece from a French news outlet announcing a project of over 150 bungalows in Bora Bora and, since I never heard of it, I searched about that hotel, which construction has supposedly started, and found another article that also mentions the extension of the LMBB.

The atoll might not be the same after all those projects are completed.

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Un-pala...a_a212656.html
Google translated

A planned palace in Bora Bora

©Atelier Cos SA Communication
Bora Bora, October 19, 2022. A new hotel project is underway on the Pearl of the Pacific. It is, according to the environmental impact study consulted by Tahiti Infos, a luxury hotel with 60 bungalows, including 52 on stilts, called Palace Resort. The project, led by the City group, is located near the airport, on the motu Terurumi and would also include a coral research center. Its opening is scheduled for 2026.

Luxury projects follow one another on the coveted motu of Bora Bora. After that of the Bloody Mary's, then that of the City group on the former site of the Bora Bora Lagoon Resort, without forgetting the construction of villas and the extensions of the Méridien Bora Bora and the Conrad Bora Bora Nui, a brand new hotel complex should see the day. It is, according to the environmental impact study consulted by Tahiti Infos at the town hall of Bora Bora, a luxury hotel called Palace Resort, carried by the company Mahana Immo, property of the City group. The establishment should come to life near the airport, on the motu Terurumi. According to investors, this new project is justified by the “ big lack of hotel accommodation” on the Pearl of the Pacific and aims to“attract ultra-luxury customers”.

The architecture was entrusted to the firms Atelier Cos architecture and Heifara Teihotu architecture.
As stipulated in this impact study carried out by Fenua Environnement, it is more precisely on plots IK7, IK8 and IK30 that this hotel should see the light of day. Thus, eight villas with garden and private beach should be built on the motu and 52 villas of one, two or three bedrooms with terrace and swimming pool, will spring from the water of the lagoon, more and more provided in terms of pilotis . Other so-called common buildings are also planned, such as bars, restaurants, spa, games rooms, chapels as well as premises and service buildings for staff.

The palace will be marketed under the high-end brand Raffles, owned by the Accor group. As Mahana Immo representative Teiva Raffin points out, even though there are already five stars in Bora Bora, this one “positions itself in another segment, with another level of product...above” , with the desire not to “do like the others, even if they do it well”.

Risk of alteration of duckweed

The earthworks of two artificial lagoons and the creation of an artificial motu are also planned. It should be noted that an environmental impact study will soon be carried out on the sand extraction works, necessary for the construction of beaches. In addition, a study of the groundwater lens has been completed but is currently considered incomplete. As stated in the dossier, one of the most important issues of this project concerns the “high to very high risk of alteration of the groundwater lens on site and in the vicinity”in the construction phase and then in the operational phase. Problems that it is difficult not to compare with those encountered during the construction of the Quintessence villa of the Bora Yes company, on the neighboring plot, which have since been dealt with in court. Asked about this, Teiva Raffin wants to be reassuring, specifying that unlike other projects, for the Palace Resort, “ things will be done correctly, according to the rules and there are many steps”. He also underlines that the establishment will integrate the Planet 21 sustainable development program, which requires compliance with strict environmental standards and the preservation of biodiversity. It will also be labeled Green Key, another international sustainable tourism eco-label.

Among the other issues raised by the Fenua Environnement study, we can cite, among others, issues related to the major reworking of soils; the presence of invasive, native, introduced and endemic plant species; the presence of a potentially rich coral ecosystem; the risk of disruption of the physico-chemical characteristics of the lagoon waters or even the environmental pressure exerted on the island.

A scientific research center

Research center ©Atelier Cos SA Communication
The other part of the project concerns a scientific research center on corals in Hitiaa Bay in Faanui, on plots CN62 (lagoon side) and CN75 (mountain side). The laboratory and housing will be built on the lagoon, while the storage building will be positioned on dry land. The total area of ​​the two sets was assessed at 80,875 m², but a request for temporary occupation of the public maritime domain of 97,476 m² was established by the contracting authority. This increases the total area of ​​the project to 178,351 m².

Once the administrative formalities have been completed and the building permit has been obtained, work should begin within a year. The opening of the establishment is scheduled for 2026.

The hotel entrance. ©Atelier Cos SA Communication
The information was extracted from the impact study ©Fenua Environnement 2022 – Environmental impact study relating to the development of a “Palace Resort” of 60 villas and a scientific research center on corals – Associated municipality of Faanui-Bora Bora
Written by Julie Barnac and Nij on Wednesday October 19, 2022 at 8:04 p.m.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/economie...e_5882198.html
with a video

"Bora-Bora (French Polynesia): .... A pharaonic project is underway: the hotel will be the largest on the atoll, with more than 150 bungalows.".
The video seems to indicate that the project that is mentioned is the Westin.

Last edited by UASPG; Jun 12, 2023 at 8:27 pm
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:23 pm

General Manager

https://www.linkedin.com/in/cesar-marquez-267258a/
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:31 am

Just passed by the hotel and it's clearly still under construction - one main building is a skeleton, although the OWVs seem to be in the final stages. Will attempt to post some videos once I'm off terrible hotel wifi. My guess is a Spring 2024 opening is the earliest possibility.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 5:58 am

Has anyone here been in the area lately that can comment on progress? I'm wondering if the opening date is still realistic.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 5:50 pm

looks like will open on Aug this year, has start selling now, but no point room available
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I'm looking to book in DEC this year and some great options at the Westin on points. However the rooms are very small, only 440 sqft. Was the LeMeridien nice? Good views?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.