Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien, Bora Bora (rebranding to Westin, Opening May 2024) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This hotel was originally the Le Meridien Bora Bora hotel. For discussions, past experiences, and other information from before the transition use the following thread: Le Meridien bora bora [Master Thread]

Print Wikipost

Le Meridien, Bora Bora (rebranding to Westin, Opening May 2024) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain
I noticed this on the web-site. Look at the YEAR (my bold and added color).

"...Le Méridien Bora Bora is temporarily closed for renovation. We look forward to welcoming you back in the fourth quarter of 2023 for a fully enhanced experience. In the meantime please contact +1 (888) 236-2427 for reservations...."

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...bora/overview/
This sounds about right given what we saw when passing by Le Meridien last week. Most OWVs are a LONG way from being ready. It should be nice when they're done though!
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
That'll adjust my 2023 plans for French Polynesia considerably then!
Same here! Huge bummer for my plans. I suppose covid and supply shortages put them way behind schedule or did they double-down on expansion plans?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by flayum
Same here! Huge bummer for my plans. I suppose covid and supply shortages put them way behind schedule or did they double-down on expansion plans?
Based on the few things I heard from folks at St Regis, it sounds like a combination of COVID delays with regards to productivity and supply chain issues on the materials side. However I can't say I spoke with anyone who would be able to speak with great authority on this matter.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by wb2020
Based on the few things I heard from folks at St Regis, it sounds like a combination of COVID delays with regards to productivity and supply chain issues on the materials side. However I can't say I spoke with anyone who would be able to speak with great authority on this matter.
Can you imagine if the offerings at the Le Meridien was much more improved compared to the StR?

(Sarcasm) Plot Twist: Le Meridien reflags as Ritz Carlton ... Who knows?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:49 pm

This sounds about right given what we saw when passing by Le Meridien last week. Most OWVs are a LONG way from being ready. It should be nice when they're done though!
….
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain
I noticed this on the web-site. Look at the YEAR (my bold and added color).

"...Le Méridien Bora Bora is temporarily closed for renovation. We look forward to welcoming you back in the fourth quarter of 2023 for a fully enhanced experience. In the meantime please contact +1 (888) 236-2427 for reservations...."

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...bora/overview/
I could be mistaken, but I could swear that said Q4 2022 a couple months ago. Looks like they extended a year recently. They will have been closed almost 4 years. Crazy.

TD
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Passed by the LM about an hour ago.

Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:36 pm

A couple of folks in another forum mentioned that they've heard LM will actually be reopening as a Westin. To me, the OWVs and general buildout look very similar to the LM Maldives, so that would be surprising to me. I'd also be a bit disappointed as I typically prefer LM to Westin by a solid margin. Has anyone else heard a similar rumor?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
I could hardly imagine this as a Westin, either it stays a LM, or becomes a W, or RC.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kaloz
I could hardly imagine this as a Westin, either it stays a LM, or becomes a W, or RC.
One would think, right? With such a phenomenal location and given the fact that there's not a ton of room to add more top-tier resorts, rebranding to a lower tier (or even same tier) would not seem to make much sense.
Kaloz likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:14 am

A couple of folks in another forum mentioned that they've heard LM will actually be reopening as a Westin. To me, the OWVs and general buildout look very similar to the LM Maldives, so that would be surprising to me. I'd also be a bit disappointed as I typically prefer LM to Westin by a solid margin. Has anyone else heard a similar rumor?
If they are going to rebrand, they won't say it's temperately closed I guess. Besides, if rebrand, it's usually an upgrade, like Hilton to Conrad. LM to Westin is at most same category, if not downgrade.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I don't know how reliable is this interview or if the answers have been well reported, but it says:There is tension on (room) inventory: several notable hotels, such as the Intercontinental in Moorea, the two Sofitels and the Méridien in Bora-Bora, have closed and will not reopen.https://www.lechotouristique.com/art...cruter-en-2022
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Interesting: Le Meridien Bora Bora is listed on this piece about the latest Worldwide Marriott Bonvoy promotion, but I could not find an available date.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/10/05/...3/?omhide=true
Old Oct 7, 2022, 12:42 am

The plot thickens.

Not sure if you're able to read in the original language, but maybe the "permanently closed" is a translation error and it's "has been closed"? Or maybe this is more data pointing to a brand change since I can't imagine them permanently closing with all the recent construction?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:34 am

The plot thickens.

Not sure if you're able to read in the original language, but maybe the "permanently closed" is a translation error and it's "has been closed"? Or maybe this is more data pointing to a brand change since I can't imagine them permanently closing with all the recent construction?
I copied and pasted from Google Translate, but "... et le Méridien de Bora-Bora, ont fermé leurs portes et ne les rouvriront pas." is exactly ":... and Le Meridien have closed their doors and will not re-open them".

We all know that the hotel will be opened again in a few months, so he might have meant that the property will not re-open as a Le Meridien or it might just be poor reporting.
It also seems that Marriott is trying to have owners switch Le Meridien branded hotels to other brands. In this case, it would not surprise me if a big W is installed on the arrival "ponton".
flayum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.