Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by JCrew7384
Thanks for the unbiased suggestions. You're right on almost all of the above. I will continue staying at the Westin for a much more pleasant travel experience. I choose breakfast vouchers over the 500 points. I earn close to 10,000 SPG points per 3 night stay at this property, so it is terrible difficult to pass up. I get no where near that staying at any of the marriott options...
10,000?! Are you hiring?

Mike
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
10,000?! Are you hiring?

Mike
We have a very large project team and have some pretty big pull amongst the local hotels... It's not 10,000 bonus, total. It's a sweet gig.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
We have a very large project team and have some pretty big pull amongst the local hotels... It's not 10,000 bonus, total. It's a sweet gig.
Ugh, and you had gotten me all hot and bothered...

Mike
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by sethb
I transfer SPG points to my wife. She converts them to Marriott points and transfers them to me. My lifetime Marriott goes up.
I convert them to SPG points. My lifetime Marriott doesn't change.
I transfer them to my wife. She converts them to Marriott points and transfers them to me. My lifetime Marriott goes up again.
Sure, she gets a huge negative lifetime Marriott. But she was never going to get lifetime status anyway.
(Maybe I should try that instead of giving it away where Marriott can see it.)
In theory it would work but Marriott limits transfers to 50k points/year. So the exposure is limited, especially when we are talking about needing millions of points for lifetime status to matter.
Like a lot of things, you can probably get away with it for a little bit, but if you abuse it it will get noticed... especially enough to make a difference for lifetime status.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Nevertheless it's pretty bad-arse. I just looked through my account, and the last time I earned 10,000 points it was for a three-week stay (including extra MACG points)! (I travel under gov't rates, so the points come slowly from actual stay dollars.).
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:37 am

Just out of creativity, not sure if it works by means of SPG points' purchase from scratch towards MR LTP. It might not be the most economic way but just wanna see if it is theoretically feasible.

Set up 23 SPG accounts for your friends and families, along with your own one.
Current SPG 35% points promotion - $682.5 = 30,000 SPG points = 90,000 MR points
Upon transferring those 30,000 SPG points to 90,000 MR instantly, then transfer 50,000 MR to your own account (cap per year) at $10 flat rate, and transfer the remaining 40,000 MR on 1 Jan 2018.

At the end of the day, you should have 2,000,000 MR points from 23 different SPG / MR accounts and your own accounts with a rate of $682.5 x 23 + $10x2x23 = $16,157.8

I am just not sure if the above is right theoretically, though there is also 750 nights requirement, that I think can be done through the 'meeting' side relatively easy. It seems 16,000 is not a small amount, yet the 2M MR points itself deserves quite an amount, and according to TPG, seems that each MR points values around 0.9cent ~ $18,000.

Thanks dudes!

Last edited by CXflyers; Dec 16, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Yes, you’ll have a very expensive 2 mil points but if you bother to read the Wiki you’ll find out that not one of those points will count towards Marriott LTP

Originally Posted by CXflyers
Just out of creativity, not sure if it works by means of SPG points' purchase from scratch towards MR LTP. It might not be the most economic way but just wanna see if it is theoretically feasible.

Set up 23 SPG accounts for your friends and families, along with your own one.
Current SPG 35% points promotion - $682.5 = 30,000 SPG points = 90,000 MR points
Upon transferring those 30,000 SPG points to 90,000 MR instantly, then transfer 50,000 MR to your own account (cap per year) at $10 flat rate, and transfer the remaining 40,000 MR on 1 Jan 2018.

At the end of the day, you should have 2,000,000 MR points from 23 different SPG / MR accounts and your own accounts with a rate of $682.5 x 23 + $10x2x23 = $16,157.8

I am just not sure if the above is right theoretically, though there is also 750 nights requirement, that I think can be done through the 'meeting' side relatively easy. It seems 16,000 is not a small amount, yet the 2M MR points itself deserves quite an amount, and according to TPG, seems that each MR points values around 0.9cent ~ $18,000.

Thanks dudes!
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Srisarin
Yes, you’ll have a very expensive 2 mil points but if you bother to read the Wiki you’ll find out that not one of those points will count towards Marriott LTP

Thanks, I have read through the wiki and tried to read through partial of the threats, that points from SPG doesn't count towards MR LT status while points from other MR accounts should count towards it. Correct me if I am not correct, thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:33 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
That is correct.
You have no problem transferring up to 50,000 points per year from 1 MR account to another and it increases your LT while decreasing theirs.
You can exceed the 50,000 IF certain conditions are met and there are a significant number of posts on this specific event.

Originally Posted by CXflyers
Thanks, I have read through the wiki and tried to read through partial of the threats, that points from SPG doesn't count towards MR LT status while points from other MR accounts should count towards it. Correct me if I am not correct, thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Srisarin
You have no problem transferring up to 50,000 points per year from 1 MR account to another and it increases your LT while decreasing theirs.
I think what CXflyers is banking on is that the 50K limit is "per account". So one could technical transfer 50K points from account A into their account and another 50K from account B into their account and so on. While I have never tried to do that, I think that is how Marriott has structured the transfer rules.

With that said, while it might work on "paper", with that many transfers all from "new" accounts and all with purchased points, lets just say, I would be very surprised if someone at Marriott did not figure out what was going on and shut your account down. I do believe someone tried to do something very similar to this with Hilton and it looks like Hilton figured it out and shut them down.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
So I have just crossed the Marriott Lifetime Platinum totals IF you combine my SPG and Marriott accounts. Combined 2.3M points (assuming the 3:1 SPG to Marriott conversion), and 754 combined linfetime nights. Of that total, 300k (SPG) points and 167 nights are from Starwood, majority is from Marriott. I just spent the last year at a Westin though.

Thoughts? Should I push to get it all in one program? Do you think I'll get screwed when they merge?
Sorry if I've missed it - how do you know your lifetime Starwood nights? It didn't used to show on my account. Has something changed?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think what CXflyers is banking on is that the 50K limit is "per account". So one could technical transfer 50K points from account A into their account and another 50K from account B into their account and so on. While I have never tried to do that, I think that is how Marriott has structured the transfer rules.

With that said, while it might work on "paper", with that many transfers all from "new" accounts and all with purchased points, lets just say, I would be very surprised if someone at Marriott did not figure out what was going on and shut your account down. I do believe someone tried to do something very similar to this with Hilton and it looks like Hilton figured it out and shut them down.
Good for your advise, haven't thought on that side before~
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Yup, in theory it would work, but in practice its very obvious to suddenly have dozens of new Marriott accounts transferring in to one Marriott account. Especially given you are still spending $16,000 for something that may be worth $18,000, and you only get one half of the lifetime requirements (you still do need the nights, even if you you get it through meetings instead) it's probably not worth it. However, a fun exercise to consider. It's also not 100% clear to me if the 50k applies to both sending and receiving -- I think its only checked against the sending account, but that can change...
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Yup, in theory it would work, but in practice its very obvious to suddenly have dozens of new Marriott accounts transferring in to one Marriott account. Especially given you are still spending $16,000 for something that may be worth $18,000, and you only get one half of the lifetime requirements (you still do need the nights, even if you you get it through meetings instead) it's probably not worth it. However, a fun exercise to consider. It's also not 100% clear to me if the 50k applies to both sending and receiving -- I think its only checked against the sending account, but that can change...
Easy to.notice if someone looks, but doubtful they have programming to check for that type of behavior. Also possible to set up the 23 accounts to be legit so no rules would be broken. Carries risk for sure, but I think it's a creative attempt. At worst, you're stuck with points you overpaid for by a bit. At best, you've got Lifetime Platinum requirement met for MR and SPG and access to those points.

For the.nights part alone, it would cost just over $2K if.you get 40-some meetings before year end and let the nights over 75 roll over. All in, someone b*llsy can buy Lifetime Platinum and 2MIL MR for $18K.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by mooper
Easy to.notice if someone looks, but doubtful they have programming to check for that type of behavior. Also possible to set up the 23 accounts to be legit so no rules would be broken. Carries risk for sure, but I think it's a creative attempt. At worst, you're stuck with points you overpaid for by a bit. At best, you've got Lifetime Platinum requirement met for MR and SPG and access to those points.

For the.nights part alone, it would cost just over $2K if.you get 40-some meetings before year end and let the nights over 75 roll over. All in, someone b*llsy can buy Lifetime Platinum and 2MIL MR for $18K.
Furthermore, that 2MM MR points could be converted into 7 travel packages (924,000 United miles plus 7X 7-night travel certificates for Cat1-5).... There are some decent properties to use those certificates.... meaning for the price, you will get 7 nice vacations with travel / lodging paid-for in addition to the lifetime status..... though that will average a cost of $2571 per vacation.... IMHO this is kind of a wash cost-wise, and the true value of it depends on how much you value the lifetime MR status. All-in-all for me, it has been nice to be upgraded at some of the deluxe properties to suites, upgraded at VC's to larger villas with full kitchens, etc. etc...... pretty nice perks.... though I would have a hard time justifying paying $18K for it outright considering I can typically take nice trips for less than the $2571 value that the points represent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.