Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:54 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You are confusing past business with present and future business. The Rewards program is a marketing tool to encourage present and future business, not reward past business or make people feel super-elite. Someone who has stayed 2k nights is more likely to be at the end of his/her maximum value to Marriott years. 2k may also be too lofty a goal to encourage many people to strive for LTP. There is little benefit to Marriott in waiting until someone has achieved 2k nights to start offering exceptional service. It would be a very targeted small marketing tool that would reach very few people, whereas Marriott appears to want an attainable goal in a marketing tool that reaches many people. Frankly, I don't understand the people that need exclusivity in their hotel marketing program.
Yes and no, the purpose of any loyalty program is to drive future revenues but it's also the chase that drives some people to stay focused on achieving a given status. Service levels are important but when most of the competition is roughly similar the product becomes a commodity. I believe loyalty programs as much as anything were developed to help differentiate and give customers something to strive for - status. I'm a gold or a platinum or a diamond or some other rare and special achievement. Many people desire the label as much or more than the actual benefits. The point is people of all ages and status' will be motivated by the prize of being the most or the best. It's a no lose for Marriott.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:05 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I forgot to mention, I got a Lifetime Platinum Elite card in the mail today. Odd, as I passed that milestone a while back and haven't received an actual Marriott membership card in I don't know how many years. I've never seen any card before that says Lifetime, kind of cool. My United Club does say valid until 2099 but my mileage plus card expires in 2018 even though I'm lifetime as well. To each his own I guess.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
Lifetime status

Just finished the push to lifetime platinum, in case it makes a difference when the SPG-MR programs merge. Would have thought I'd get something a little more personal that a generic email. But happy to be here anyway, for what it may be worth...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:20 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by melroseman
Just finished the push to lifetime platinum, in case it makes a difference when the SPG-MR programs merge. Would have thought I'd get something a little more personal that a generic email. But happy to be here anyway, for what it may be worth...
No just the email and United Silver status...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I didn't even get an email. You're ahead of the curve!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Just finished the push to lifetime platinum, in case it makes a difference when the SPG-MR programs merge.
I'm close to LTP and am also wondering about how the qualification terms might change as the merge happens. What was your "push"? Just ordinary stays? Going out of your way to pick MR instead of competitors? Booking meetings?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm close to LTP and am also wondering about how the qualification terms might change as the merge happens. What was your "push"? Just ordinary stays? Going out of your way to pick MR instead of competitors? Booking meetings?
All of the above. Accelerated stays, always at Marriott, tried to maximize rollover nights, and did a few meetings.

The meetings can be tough. You need to educate the hotel and they still screw it up, I'm too chicken to not show up for the meeting and I drag friends or my kids. I'm surprised they still have this mechanism for 10 nights...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I'm surprised they still have this mechanism for 10 nights...
You've got to remember that there are those of us who really do choose where to hold real meetings, for whom the ten nights can be why we would choose a Marriott or Starwood property. If I do a meeting in Omaha, we'll need a conference room that can accommodate maybe fifty people and usually four or five hotel rooms for those of us from out of town. While it's not huge money for the hotel, the conference room and food usually come out to be a little more than what ten rooms would cost for a night.

Ironically, in the past I've usually taken the credit for Sheraton meetings while a coworker would take the Marriott credit, given I have LTP and stayed in Marriotts over 75 nights a year anyway.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm close to LTP and am also wondering about how the qualification terms might change as the merge happens.
SPG requires fewer nights but many years in the annual status for lifetime status.

I would assume that any new qualification terms would not require more nights that Marriott does currently, not require more points than Marriott does currently, but might require a particular number of years at that annual status (since SPG requires that).

Hopefully if they add a years requirement they might shave a bit off of one or both of the current requirements.

Marriott doesn't currently display how many years you're been at your current annual status anywhere, do they? If not, but if they start to, that might be clue that they might be going to add that (back*) to the lifetime status requirements.

And then if they did, how would they (or would they) combine years of that status at Marriott with years of that status at SPG, if you were a member of both programs long before the merger? Would they count it including linked status, or only if not linked status, or what? (I had 1 or 2 years of truly separate SPG Plat status years ago, plus I have SPG Plat status now due to linking from my Marriott Plat status. I've had Marriott Plat status for several years, but I don't remember exactly how many.)

* Marriott used to have years in status requirements in the past.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 17, 2017 at 7:47 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
SPG requires fewer nights but many years in the annual status for lifetime status.

I would assume that any new qualification terms would not require more nights that Marriott does currently, not require more points than Marriott does currently, but might require a particular number of years at that annual status (since SPG requires that).

Hopefully if they add a years requirement they might shave a bit off of one or both of the current requirements.

Marriott doesn't currently display how many years you're been at your current annual status anywhere, do they? If not, but if they start to, that might be clue that they might be going to add that (back*) to the lifetime status requirements.

And then if they did, how would they (or would they) combine years of that status at Marriott with years of that status at SPG, if you were a member of both programs long before the merger? Would they count it including linked status, or only if not linked status, or what? (I had 1 or 2 years of truly separate SPG Plat status years ago, plus I have SPG Plat status now due to linking from my Marriott Plat status. I've had Marriott Plat status for several years, but I don't remember exactly how many.)

* Marriott used to have years in status requirements in the past.
I for one would be very surprised if LT tiers with MPG would include a time as elite criterion. For one, as you described its quite complicated and non-transparent (albeit not impossible) to translate time as elite into a new program. In addition, as you mentioned, MR previously had it but abandoned it I guess for good business reasons. Hence I would not expect it to return.
My bet is on a $ based criterion i.e. some version of base points and/or combination with life time nights (base nights).

One possibility would be that you can qualify with base points OR base nights. Base points being a function of $ spent (with or without elite bonus) base nights is actual nights spent at a hotel. Base nights is already employed in the SPG program, i.e LT nights at SPG do not include any roll-over nights or any kind of bonus nights. In my view if anything will be adapted from SPG in this regard I think it would be base nights.
This could incentvise both the RI/Aloft road warrior and the Westin/Marriott road warrior.
The downside with this scheme is that there is little incentive for the CC product in terms of LT status. However I doubt people would cancel their cards, you can still get free rooms for your points, i.e. there are other ways to incentivise this product range.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by X-ON
The downside with this scheme is that there is little incentive for the CC product in terms of LT status. However I doubt people would cancel their cards, you can still get free rooms for your points, i.e. there are other ways to incentivise this product range.
Those that choose CC products are more interested in short term incentives... i.e. points and free nights... compared to accelerating achievement of lifetime status. I have a couple CC's and strictly utilize them to gain more RDM's and hotel points, and never looked at their utilization from the perspective that I would get lifetime status quicker.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Exactly my point, let LT only depend on actual hotel visits. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if MPG LT tiers will be a function of base nights and/or base points. Hence you can no longer use bonus nights/points from cc, roll-over or otherwize in order to obtain LT status. Strictly spending time and/or $ at hotel. However the actual tiers most of course be adjusted accordingly at least if we compare to the current MR tiers.... But then again I am only guessing here...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The meetings can be tough. You need to educate the hotel and they still screw it up, I'm too chicken to not show up for the meeting and I drag friends or my kids. I'm surprised they still have this mechanism for 10 nights...
As I implied above, I'm considering doing a few meetings to make a final push for LTP status before the programs merge. I hesitate to do it over the same concerns as you-- I don't want to have to spend time and effort chasing for the nights to post correctly.

As for the 10 nights reward itself, understand that we are exploiting the very low end of the curve. Yeah, our "1 hour" meetings for $50 or $100 don't generate a lot of profit for the business. But even a 1 day meeting in a small room, with 1 meal served and water/tea/coffee all day, plus A/V setup, can easily run past $1000 and generate fat margins for the property. The 10 night bonus makes sense for the business at that level. We should consider ourselves lucky that, probably for simplicity, the same reward is extended to our dinky little meetings.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
As I implied above, I'm considering doing a few meetings to make a final push for LTP status before the programs merge. I hesitate to do it over the same concerns as you-- I don't want to have to spend time and effort chasing for the nights to post correctly.

As for the 10 nights reward itself, understand that we are exploiting the very low end of the curve. Yeah, our "1 hour" meetings for $50 or $100 don't generate a lot of profit for the business. But even a 1 day meeting in a small room, with 1 meal served and water/tea/coffee all day, plus A/V setup, can easily run past $1000 and generate fat margins for the property. The 10 night bonus makes sense for the business at that level. We should consider ourselves lucky that, probably for simplicity, the same reward is extended to our dinky little meetings.
The bonus nights for meetings should be based on revenue... only fair. I hosted an event last year that ended up with a final tab of around $20,000, and I only received 10 bonus nights for that... averaged out to $2000/bonus night. Marriott made a killing.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jjmoore
The bonus nights for meetings should be based on revenue... only fair. I hosted an event last year that ended up with a final tab of around $20,000, and I only received 10 bonus nights for that... averaged out to $2000/bonus night. Marriott made a killing.
I hope you parlayed that spend elsewhere like CC points or the such. But yes, it's a quirk of the promo if you spend $100 or $100,000, only 10 nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.