Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dank0014
Is it just me, or am I finding lifetime status to be far too easy with Marriott. I just knocked out LT Platinum in less than three years.

Struggling to understand how a program gives LT in that period of time as to me that doesn't indicate loyalty. I know some will disagree, but just my two cents
Not "everyone" travels as much as you...
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Is it just me, or am I finding lifetime status to be far too easy with Marriott. I just knocked out LT Platinum in less than three years.
I imagine MR's thinking was 75 nights/year = Platinum, x10 years = Lifetime Platinum. 10 years of status seems worth some kind of long term status. But then there are frequent travelers such as you who stay 250+ nights/year and do it in less than 3.

That said, it wouldn't bother me if MR's lifetime requirements were a bit tougher. ...And I'm not even a super-heavy traveler like you. It took me 6 years of loyalty to MR to reach LT Gold. LT Plat will take me a total of about 10 as my travel has slowed a bit.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:19 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Marriott's LT requirements used to be harder. A few years ago, they reduced the points and nights requirements and completely dropped the 12 years of membership requirement.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:00 pm
Suspended

they should just add a level at 1000 nights. perhaps ambasador level (which as most of us who are ambassadors know, is mostly worthless...perhaps slightly better than platinum premier)
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
That brings up an interesting question. If a LT Plat were to gift a bunch of points to others, is it possible to drop down to LT Gold?
In theory, it would seem like you could. Although most LT point counters never go down, I get why this one can in this specific situation...preventing, say, 50 of us from getting together for a little Let's Make Everyone LT Plat party...

Struggling to understand how a program gives LT in that period of time as to me that doesn't indicate loyalty. I know some will disagree, but just my two cents
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I imagine MR's thinking was 75 nights/year = Platinum, x10 years = Lifetime Platinum. 10 years of status seems worth some kind of long term status. But then there are frequent travelers such as you who stay 250+ nights/year and do it in less than 3.

That said, it wouldn't bother me if MR's lifetime requirements were a bit tougher. ...And I'm not even a super-heavy traveler like you. It took me 6 years of loyalty to MR to reach LT Gold. LT Plat will take me a total of about 10 as my travel has slowed a bit.
I guess we have to look at it from Marriott's perspective: it costs them next to nothing to make us LT Gold or Plat. Whether the guest got it from 20 years of casual stays or 2-3 years living at a Residence Inn, their *future* stays are more likely to be Marriott if they have the LT card.

Since Marriott Rewards in general doesn't promise suite upgrades, there isn't really much downside to adding a few more elites. We aren't competing with other elites for a scarce resource like we sometimes think we are at Hyatt or Starwood, where our hopes for a real suite are higher (artificially or otherwise). I'm occasionally in a Marriott lounge that's somewhat crowded - although less often than you'd think from reading some threads here - but I don't think this is due to LT elites who wouldn't be elite anyway...

Marriott made the LT tiers a little easier *and* much more publicized...both are a sign that they are happy and eager to add more LT elites. They just have to keep it meaningful/aspirational, which it still is...
Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
In theory, it would seem like you could. Although most LT point counters never go down, I get why this one can in this specific situation...preventing, say, 50 of us from getting together for a little Let's Make Everyone LT Plat party...

I guess we have to look at it from Marriott's perspective: it costs them next to nothing to make us LT Gold or Plat. Whether the guest got it from 20 years of casual stays or 2-3 years living at a Residence Inn, their *future* stays are more likely to be Marriott if they have the LT card.

Since Marriott Rewards in general doesn't promise suite upgrades, there isn't really much downside to adding a few more elites. We aren't competing with other elites for a scarce resource like we sometimes think we are at Hyatt or Starwood, where our hopes for a real suite are higher (artificially or otherwise). I'm occasionally in a Marriott lounge that's somewhat crowded - although less often than you'd think from reading some threads here - but I don't think this is due to LT elites who wouldn't be elite anyway...

Marriott made the LT tiers a little easier *and* much more publicized...both are a sign that they are happy and eager to add more LT elites. They just have to keep it meaningful/aspirational, which it still is...
My suspicion is that once MR eliminates SPG as a competitor that LT requirements will go back up.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

I'm occasionally in a Marriott lounge that's somewhat crowded - although less often than you'd think from reading some threads here - but I don't think this is due to LT elites who wouldn't be elite anyway...
You've got to stay at the Napa Valley Marriott on a summer weekend. It was the busiest lounge I've ever seen.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:57 pm
Suspended

since this thread's topic is LifeTime status's I see no relevance to this thread and your post.

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
You've got to stay at the Napa Valley Marriott on a summer weekend. It was the busiest lounge I've ever seen.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nova08
My suspicion is that once MR eliminates SPG as a competitor that LT requirements will go back up.
Except that SPG itself has even easier (for some) LT requirements, and Marriott won't necessarily want to alienate both Marriott elites well on the way to LT status nor SPG elites well on the way to LT status there by making requirements that are harder than both those of Marriott currently and those of SPG currently.

The average person who just barely qualifies for Marriott Plat (or Gold) status doesn't perceive the LT requirements as being all that easy to begin with. It's not that many people who stay 250 nights a year in hotels and spend all of those 250 nights solely in one hotel program. (Yet that's what's required to get Marriott LT Plat status in 3 years.)
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The average person who just barely qualifies for Marriott Plat (or Gold) status doesn't perceive the LT requirements as being all that easy to begin with. It's not that many people who stay 250 nights a year in hotels and spend all of those 250 nights solely in one hotel program. (Yet that's what's required to get Marriott LT Plat status in 3 years.)
Not quite true - you can easily get the number of nights included in your LT numbers with rollover, meetings, and credit cards. A person spending just 75 actual nights in a hotel could theoretically make LT Plat, assuming they can find ways to earn enough points.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Except that SPG itself has even easier (for some) LT requirements, and Marriott won't necessarily want to alienate both Marriott elites well on the way to LT status nor SPG elites well on the way to LT status there by making requirements that are harder than both those of Marriott currently and those of SPG currently.

It doesn't take 250 nights a year.

If you spend 180 nights the first year, you roll over 105 nights, so with the 180 actual nights the second year you get 285. You roll over another 105 to the third year, another 285. So you have 750 after 3 years.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:52 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by sethb
Quote:

It doesn't take 250 nights a year.

If you spend 180 nights the first year, you roll over 105 nights, so with the 180 actual nights the second year you get 285. You roll over another 105 to the third year, another 285. So you have 750 after 3 years.
I think people staying >100 nights in a hotel per year is Much lower than it appears on a board like flyer talk. I feel like I've lived in hotels this year and only have 155 for the year. Yes with CC and rollover I'll be around 650 to start the year and hit LTP next year, but I'm sure the bean counters know how much LTP costs them and I'm sure it's not much.

In exchange they have received $30-$35k in room plus bar tabs this year and have locked me in for another year minimum. Also as someone mentioned, LT status probably puts marriotts higher on the list when someone is considering where to stay.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:49 pm
Suspended

not for all of us -

although I qualified for LT last year for next years Taiwan trip booked Hyatt and for EU trip I booked Hiltons in Zurich, Florence, Innsbuck, Budapest and Prague and only Marriotts in Tuscany and Lucerne as I choose location over brand.

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Also as someone mentioned, LT status probably puts marriotts higher on the list when someone is considering where to stay.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Talking

Originally Posted by leeky
since this thread's topic is LifeTime status's I see no relevance to this thread and your post.
You're amusing.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Also as someone mentioned, LT status probably puts marriotts higher on the list when someone is considering where to stay.
I disagree, what's my goals at Marriott now? Why not go chase LT status at another brand.

Since I no longer have to reach a certain number of nights to achieve Platinum each year, I may only opt to spend 30 nights as sometimes Marriott doesn't offer the best option / location for me, so then perhaps I stay at a different brand, whereas in the past, I may have stayed there. They basically only kept me loyal for 3 years. My two cents.

What Marriott needs is a true level above and beyond PP, and something that truly gives a benefit like Hyatt Courtesy Card, but guess I'll save that for a different topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.