Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak - [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak - [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:43 am

W Bali

can i post a picture here of what the resort will look like.. one of my friends sent me an overall view?

Impossible to be ready Nov 1st..
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Looks like December 15th now.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Having just returned from the Westin Nusa Dua and enjoying the beach I'm excited to see a W in Bali. Seminyak hmmmmmm..... factoring that in.... but it is a retreat property.........

I say Cat 5 to start and rates starting at $225 or so for standard rooms. That is a safe guess.

If they make this a Cat 6 and shoot for the stars they maybe missing a large portion of guests who either won't redeem Cat 6 point levels or $ of more than $350 or so.

Thus I think Cat 5 to start.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:26 am

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
This property had been previously specked for November 2009 opening...

We had high hopes to check out a Balinese W Retreat. IMO, the W Retreat brand will aim for cat 6+.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by schley
Having just returned from the Westin Nusa Dua and enjoying the beach I'm excited to see a W in Bali. Seminyak hmmmmmm..... factoring that in.... but it is a retreat property.........

We are looking at the St. Regis down in Nusa Dua, but we would like to stay in another area of the island for a few days to allow for some more sightseeing on the less touristy parts of the island. Is Seminyak a significantly better point to day trip from compared to Nusa Dua?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by dkelly1110
We are looking at the St. Regis down in Nusa Dua, but we would like to stay in another area of the island for a few days to allow for some more sightseeing on the less touristy parts of the island. Is Seminyak a significantly better point to day trip from compared to Nusa Dua?
Seminyak is actuallly really close to Kuta. Close to the heart of Tourist destination. Nusa Dua is about 1/2 hour drive. I prefer Nusa Dua with it's manicured lawns and well guarded hotels.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

Historically, I have split my stays between hotels in Nusa Dua and the Ubud area (locally owned properties). I'm eager to try the Seminyak area on my next visit. I like being in the heart of shopping and local restaurants. I'm also hoping that the W will feel less of a massive sprawling resort than those in Nusa Dua. I was told that the W will go up, rather than out. (The massive, sprawling description does not apply to the St Regis in Nusa Dua, though it is quite a hike from the lobby to some of its villas.) Still, Seminyak is very touristy. If you want to be better located for sightseeing, then do as I do, and spend a couple days in Ubud.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
If you want to be better located for sightseeing, then do as I do, and spend a couple days in Ubud.
I will not miss Ubud one bit. Did see some monkeys on the side of the road.
I found the market very crampt and overcrowded and smelly!
I was a little disappointed after the drive from Nusa Dua.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by onfillmore
I will not miss Ubud one bit. Did see some monkeys on the side of the road.
I found the market very crampt and overcrowded and smelly!
I was a little disappointed after the drive from Nusa Dua.
I will respectfully disagree. Day trips to Ubud probably stink, you need to stay there to enjoy. It is the real Bali, far removed from the sterility of nusa dua and bustle of seminyak. Ps, I'm in seminyak right now, send me an email if you want to discuss Bali in general.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:22 am
Suspended

Ubud

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
It is the real Bali
You really think so ?

In any event, the other poster's experience of Ubud is probably limitted to just Ubud Market
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by mario33
You really think so ?

In any event, the other poster's experience of Ubud is probably limitted to just Ubud Market
Well, no doubt Ubud has expanded and gone somewhat upscale (in places) since i first started visiting in 1997. But the outskirts and surrounding villages are far more authentic than Nusa Dua. Don't get me wrong, I love the St Regis, but Nusa Dua could be practically anywhere in the world. You wouldn't necessarily know you are in Bali. In Ubud, you'll never lose sight of where you are.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:43 pm

Well, no doubt Ubud has expanded and gone somewhat upscale (in places) since i first started visiting in 1997. But the outskirts and surrounding villages are far more authentic than Nusa Dua. Don't get me wrong, I love the St Regis, but Nusa Dua could be practically anywhere in the world. You wouldn't necessarily know you are in Bali. In Ubud, you'll never lose sight of where you are.
Posts like these make feel confident that I chose to split time between Nusa Dua (the St. Regis, in fact) and Ubud for my honeymoon next year.

Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by dkelly1110
Posts like these make feel confident that I chose to split time between Nusa Dua (the St. Regis, in fact) and Ubud for my honeymoon next year.

Thanks.
I think that is an excellent plan. SR is magnificent, as majority of posts attest. Have you chosen a property in Ubud? I would do SR first as they have vip airport arrival service (which you can buy separately if starting in Ubud, which is what we did this month). We didnthe SR/Ubud split last yr, this yr was Ubud/seminyak, though we rented villas each time so sadly no spg credit.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:06 am

I think that is an excellent plan. SR is magnificent, as majority of posts attest. Have you chosen a property in Ubud? I would do SR first as they have vip airport arrival service (which you can buy separately if starting in Ubud, which is what we did this month). We didnthe SR/Ubud split last yr, this yr was Ubud/seminyak, though we rented villas each time so sadly no spg credit.
We have chosen the Four Seasons at Sayan for our near-Ubud stay. Likewise no SPG credit here, but we can more than make up for it at the St. Regis.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I know we're veering a little off topic, but does anyone have Ubud lodging recommendations? I'm planning an anniversary trip to Bali next year that will include the SR, but I'm considering adding Ubud and possibly the W, depending on $/cat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.