Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak - [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak - [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
Most likely a Cat 5, but no way can it be a Cat 6 or 7.

Bear in mind this is Seminyak Bali, its not the Maldives. No dramatic landscape, there is only so much you can do with a concrete structure in Seminyak no matter how they try to hype it up ...
We shall see! I hope I am wrong but I'd bet Cat 6, if it is somehow Cat 5 I bet it will head towards Cat 6 if at all possible!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:13 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by toddml
We shall see! I hope I am wrong but I'd bet Cat 6, if it is somehow Cat 5 I bet it will head towards Cat 6 if at all possible!
It could easily be a Cat 7 with just suites so 60k points per night.

In any case, I am excited, this will be the closest W to us since the W Sydney closed.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by mario33
Most likely a Cat 5, but no way can it be a Cat 6 or 7.

Bear in mind this is Seminyak Bali, its not the Maldives. No dramatic landscape, there is only so much you can do with a concrete structure in Seminyak no matter how they try to hype it up ...
I'd have to agree with that.

I find Bali as a whole just horrible compared to the rest of Indonesia. Tourist money has destroyed the character of the people, and I'm sure this hotel strengthens this trend.

Having said that, for someone coming from the West for a holiday it must seem like paradise, especially if you manage to avoid contact with taxi drivers and touts.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by john11111111111

I find Bali as a whole just horrible compared to the rest of Indonesia. Tourist money has destroyed the character of the people, and I'm sure this hotel strengthens this trend.

Having said that, for someone coming from the West for a holiday it must seem like paradise, especially if you manage to avoid contact with taxi drivers and touts.
I think a lot of people who stay at the W will rarely set foot outside the resort. I am not saying people staying there will not venture outside just that a lot wont venture far and that is the type of guest W are aiming for with the retreats!

On that principal what the rest of Bali is like will be of little consiquence when it comes to allocating the Cat!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:11 am
Suspended

Why does everyone imagine this resort to be in the same league as the W Maldives ? In my mind, its more likely to be an enhanced version of the Conrad Bali, but with a lot of hype ....

Come on, do you seriously think they can charge USD500-600++ onwards for a standard room in Seminyak ...
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
It could easily be a Cat 7 with just suites so 60k points per night.
Approx 150 rooms, 5 suites & 80 villas
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Any new update on this hotel?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:23 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by jlcchien
Having stayed at all the bali props except St. Regis, I would say it is a cat. 3 to 5, most likely 4. With Grand opening rate of about $100, and going for high $200s to $300 per night during high season.

No Nostradamus, but No way will it be a cat 6 or 7.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:11 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Assuming it will be at most Cat.6, can we use our Free Nights there if it opens in November or December?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by SC Alum
Having stayed at all the bali props except St. Regis, I would say it is a cat. 3 to 5, most likely 4. With Grand opening rate of about $100, and going for high $200s to $300 per night during high season.

No Nostradamus, but No way will it be a cat 6 or 7.
I would say Cat 6, I dont think W would do a Retreat property that is below Cat 6, certainly not from what I have heard from people.

Also from speaking to people in Starwood and at W Maldives it seems very unlikely the property will open this year.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 1:29 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by jlcchien
Will keep everyone posted of any updates if I have any.

Meanwhile, let me focus on a new St Regis and a Sheraton first.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:57 am

"A new St Regis and a Sheraton..."

Another St Regis in Bali? And a Sheraton Kuta that will open in 2012?

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Will keep everyone posted of any updates if I have any.

Meanwhile, let me focus on a new St Regis and a Sheraton first.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by john11111111111

I have been several times to Bali and Indonesia, it is just as in other holiday destinations. Go away from the touristthings! Take a car and drive into the country, far away from f.i. Kuta, drive to the national park, etc. Bali is sooo beautiful! If guest of the W have a cultural/natural bagage, they are willing to explore the beauty of Bali, I am sure!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
FWIW, the property is no longer advertising a Nov 1 opening. (It's advertising no opening date whatsoever.)
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:02 am

I recently went to the site. It does not look like it will be ready for Nov 1, although the sales team still maintains that date when asked.

I also took a look at the show villas -- all the 2BRs and 3BRs have been sold, with only 1 BR villas left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.