Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:36 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Fascinating, thanks for the map and explainer.

If anyone has any thoughts on preferences between the two, the prices are pretty similar for our weekend in February, I'd appreciate the input
James Luckard likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Fascinating, thanks for the map and explainer.

If anyone has any thoughts on preferences between the two, the prices are pretty similar for our weekend in February, I'd appreciate the input
I would have to guess that the more desirable rooms would be in the two new 2018 guestroom structures, #4 for the Sheraton and #3 for the Westin, since they are both a decade newer than the original 2008 guestroom wings #1 and #2, although they renovated those structures too.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:11 am

For further clarity, here are identical aerial views of the old 2008 Sheraton complex (taken in 2015) and the expanded 2018 complex (taken in 2021). You can see which wings date to 2008 and where the new wings were added. You can also see the V-shaped timeshare wing that was originally supposed to be part of the Westin, and which is not shown on the 2022 map.

DELee likes this.

Last edited by James Luckard; Dec 31, 2022 at 8:24 am
Old Dec 31, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Good photo. Upper right are the original Grand Pacific timeshare buildings (the Pointe) and lower left are the Hilton Grand Vacations buildings (the Cove).
Old Dec 31, 2022, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by buzglyd
Good photo. Upper right are the original Grand Pacific timeshare buildings (the Pointe) and lower left are the Hilton Grand Vacations buildings (the Cove).
I've never been clear, I see the Pointe and Cove complexes of buildings seemingly marketed as both Hilton Grand Vacations and the Mar Brisa Resort. Do both names apply to both portions? The websites for each show the main lobby building and pools and such:

https://www.marbrisacarlsbad.com/
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/san...risa-carlsbad/

I've only been in the Sheraton/Westin buildings, never to the surrounding buildings.

The map of the complex here, and the related discussion, make it seem like the entire complex is marketed under the Hilton name:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/hg...ing-80.294784/
Old Jan 1, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by James Luckard
I've never been clear, I see the Pointe and Cove complexes of buildings seemingly marketed as both Hilton Grand Vacations and the Mar Brisa Resort. Do both names apply to both portions? The websites for each show the main lobby building and pools and such:

https://www.marbrisacarlsbad.com/
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/san...risa-carlsbad/

I've only been in the Sheraton/Westin buildings, never to the surrounding buildings.

The map of the complex here, and the related discussion, make it seem like the entire complex is marketed under the Hilton name:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/hg...ing-80.294784/
The official name is Mar Brisa, a Hilton Grand Vacation Club. HGV entered into a fee for service arrangement with the developers around the 2008 crash. There are still some owners who bought prior to the arrangement and aren’t part of the HGV system. The Pointe was developed first. The Cove was developed after the arrangement with HGV. Owners in the system can reserve either.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 7:58 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by James Luckard
I would have to guess that the more desirable rooms would be in the two new 2018 guestroom structures, #4 for the Sheraton and #3 for the Westin, since they are both a decade newer than the original 2008 guestroom wings #1 and #2, although they renovated those structures too.
Assuming I can't pick my building, hoping for some general "S>W" or "W>S" input.

We are Platinum, so if one has better perks that should come into the discussion
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Assuming I can't pick my building, hoping for some general "S>W" or "W>S" input.

We are Platinum, so if one has better perks that should come into the discussion
Same question.

As both Sheraton and Weston are a mixture of 2008 and 2018 buildings, with nominal rate differential, which one is preferrable for elite members?
Old Nov 24, 2023, 11:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I had a chance to stay at the Sheraton last month and did a full tour. Hopefully helps those looking to plan a trip in the future. I preferred the Westin rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.