Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Checked out today...

As Plat.. offered Amenity, Club, Access, and a lovely suite. (1301

Over all, a lovely property. Staff friendly and knowledgable.

Rate of 199 included two tickets to Legoland.. and that can't be beat!

Lounge.. well.. as mentioned.. its a mess.. too small.. to many people.. too little space.. Lite Beer or crappy wine in the eve, ok breakfast in the am.

If you're going to Legoland.. you'll love this hotel..
Old May 16, 2009, 10:32 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
I had one night stay at the end of April 2009. I will write a more detailed review later.

Club lounge breakfast: no more custom omelette guy that previous poster described. The breakfast consisted of typical continental breakfast offerings with addition of scrambled eggs with spinach and feta cheese (quite tasty to me).

Whatever your quoted rate, add $12 resort fee and $12 self-park. I had it half in my mind to try and refuse the resort fee. Coincidentally, the adjacent street has a sign indicating no parking. Certainly, the hotels didn't have anything to do with that. I understand paying for parking downtown, but this almost rises to the level of extortion.

Overall, I much prefer the Sheraton La Jolla. Stay here if you must for location.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
I had stayed here last November for 2 nights with the family. Was not upgraded to a suite, but placed on the club floor. The club lounge was small, but not busy when I was there. Complimentary beer and wine in the early evening.

While I do recall a resort fee, you can accept free valet parking as the amenity.

Overall, I found this place to be a pleasant. Very clean (since it is relatively new), with friendly and helpful staff.

Close to Legoland, but a little far away from anyplace else.

Even though not a suite, I recall the rooms to be very large.
Old May 26, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
We stayed here last Thursday and Sunday nights--Thursday on a prepaid special rate, Sunday as a our Plat Free Weekend night. Our experiences were similar to those mentioned previously.

Both times I was greeted and acknowledged as a Plat member at check in. The first visit we were upgraded to a "club" level (Bldg. 1/3rd floor), the second time we were given club access (Bldg. 2/2nd floor). The rooms were exactly the same--if it's not an actual room upgrade, why bother mentioning it?

The club is an absolute joke--in the mornings it's a stampede like the AM buffet at a Residence Inn or HI Express--except they have about a quarter of the room. Kids running around everywhere, only 3 tables inside, one poor woman left to re-stock and clean tables, with no chance of keeping up. The eggs were nasty, the milk and OJ ran out, only one toaster could actually toast. If you're going to be "the hotel attached to Legoland" then you better be ready for that sort of family traffic. They should offer continental breakfast in a conference room and leave the club to the grownups, IMHO.

It would have been helpful to know there is underground self parking below the buildings before we checked out on the second visit. When we asked about self-parking at initial check-in, she told us to park down the hill.

The private entrance to Legoland is a big plus. You need to show a room key to access it, so if you check out before you go(as we did) you should keep a key and drop it off later.

The standard rooms are plenty large enough to add a sofabed, which is our room preference when traveling with the kids (after a couple of bad experiences with properties either being out or extremely slow delivery in of rollaway beds.) If they're pitching the place to families they should consider adding a few. Families with little kids arriving after bedtime want to get them in a bed ASAP.

The wife gave the health club two big ^^ for quantity and quality. The pool looked great, but it wasn't quite warm enough for outdoor pool use.

For my "free" stay Sunday, they slipped a bill under my door for $57.50 + parking/tax/tourism/resort. Almost $90 for a free room?!? When I called the front desk, they said there was a "rate error" and removed everything but the parking charge. I'm not sure what the "resort fee" was supposed to cover, that seems like a total rip off.

Bottom line--a nice property that still has that new-hotel smell. Staff is a mixed bag of professional/helpful and the young and clueless. I'd stay there again if going to Legoland or if the rate was right, but if they're asking high-end prices there's plenty of options in north SD county to choose from.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 1:16 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
2nd visit

We just got back from our 2nd visit to legoland (members) and stay with Sheraton on points. 1st trip in November, and again this past week.

As the hotel has matured, so have things changed....and not for the better IMHO.

Given the november checkin, we were upgraded to Club level 1st bldg/1st floor, and absolutely treated like royalty there during our 3 night stay.

Club lounge is small comparatively to other sites, but opened long and nicely stocked with appropriate foods in the morning and evening. It's a light breakfast fare with scrambled eggs and starbucks coffee. evening is wine and cheese with a hot plate of food. This time around, the lounge's carpet was being replaced with wood to withstand the foot traffic and dropped food from the kiddies--this is a resort next to legoland afterall.
-They did add a 2nd support staff the second time around, which is needed. Poor lady is run ragged between at the 930-1030am rush.

Pool. Very nice. November was 'heated' and not usable because it was still frigid. June: was used daily and the kids loved it. Floaties, balls, and other pool toys available....even baby diapers for the toddlers!

20/Twenty. Has gone downhill. No more bread with great olive butter at the table (orderable appetizer). Nothing at the table....not even peanuts. Service was SLOW....slower than even in November, which was slow to begin with. 2 hours to eat (3 kids at 7pm sit down was not good). Didn't even have appetizers or dessert...just the main course mind you.

Resort Fee. $12/night for no reason. Stinks. It was initially offset by the resort credit of club level that offered $12 credit per meal period (breakfast/dinner), but that option disappeared the second time around.

--Overall, I agree. If you intend to go to Legoland, this is the place to stay. Otherwise, other San Diego Sheratons would be better placed than this site. It's nice and new, but the management really changed for the worse over the past 6 months unfortunately.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
We stayed there in May and will be back later this month, son just love Legoland. I totally agree that the resort fee and self parking fee is a bit of extreme. Unless Hyatt, the resort fee is charged even if you do award stay.

Just want to add one more note for Legoland - the door closes half hour after park close. So don't linger in the Lego store, then you'll have to call the hotel and wait for a shuttle van.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I had a one night FWN redemption stay at this property last Sunday; I have no SPG status, so my exectations were from that standpoint (ie, not expecting a room upgrade or club access).

I was placed in a standard room on the third floor at the far northwest side of the property. I had a king room with a full balcony that faced the golf course to the east. There was ample self-parking; I found the outdoor spaces to be more convienient than the indoor ones.

I didn't mind the resort fee (I used the wireless internet and made calling card and local calls), but I do think the self-parking fee is not warranted, given there is really nothing else in the area that competes for parking.

I didn't eat at any of the restaurants on property; I had breakfast at Tip Top Meats down the hill by the Outlet Mall. I also explored a bit and walked around the property and to the street. I hiked a bit of the off-road trail that starts at the end of The Crossings Drive and then ran/walked the Legoland paved trail that is a bit farther down The Crossings, near Palomar Airport Drive. The trail passes the private Legoland entrance to the resport and then ends at Legoland Drive. From there, it's a brief jog to Canon and then up back to the resort.

I found the front desk staff and valet to be very friendly and professional and was happy that my request for a 1 p.m. late checkout was granted.

I took these with my camera phone, so please forgive the fuzziness.

Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
I am staying here right now on a FWN.

The good:

1) Location is great if you're going to Legoland.
2) Property looks great. Everything is clean and new. The pool area also looks nice. I like the open check in area. Wait was less than 5 minutes to check in.
3) Breakfast was pretty good. As other mentioned, the room is small but it had around 7 tables. It is Saturday morning and I went there from around 7:30-8:15am. When we got there, there was only one other table in use. When we left, all tables were full. Items include standard stuff like coffee, oj, milk, toast, english muffin, bagels, scrambled eggs, danishes, fruit, cereal, etc.
4) Resort fee includes free wireless internet.

The bad:

1) Room is nice but was not upgraded (as a platinum)
2) Small book in the room with hotel information mentions "gym in a bag" but when we called to ask for one, the lady said that they are out.
3) Asked the service desk if use of the spa facilities (jacuzzi, steam room, etc.) was included in the resort fee. She said that she didn't know. Seems odd that she wouldn't know. She said that we had to call the spa and it's closed.
4) $12 resort fee + $12 self parking. I don't know how much valet is ($16?)
5) Was recognized as platinum at check in and lady asked which platinum amenity I wanted but didn't mention what their property specific amenity is. She just said "do you just want the points for your amenity?" and I just said yes.
6) No late checkout. Staff included a letter under my door saying that because of high volume, they are not able to extend our 11am departure time.

I will be back if we want to go to Legoland but otherwise, I don't think the property is worth it.

Rock.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
I stayed here for one night last week and I liked it. I arrived in the evening and they removed the resort fee from my bill without me asking.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

This is probably the nicest Sheraton in North America and I've stayed there a few times this year.

Huge heated pool and jacuzzi. Nice gym. It has a club lounge, usually extremely crowded and we avoid it. It's currently closed for refurb and they give you 10 dollars off breakfast in the restaurant (which buys you a cup of coffee and a glass of juice ) as compensation if you have a club room/ have Platinum status. There's also a resort fee that includes 100% useless stuff except internet, but it's comped for Platinums.

They only have 5 real suites, they are 1 bedroom suites and I've only scored an upgrade to a suite once.

They try to upgrade Platinums to "Junior suites", they're actually larger corner rooms. Quite ok, but the lowest price I've found at this property is 152USD a night and I think that's pretty pricey when you add mandatory parking (12 for self parking, 16 for valet) and breakfast.

After the Aviara opened down the street, I tend to stay there instead. It's a little more pricey from 240USD a night, but with an awesome, free breakfast for Diamonds, the Sheraton Carlsbad is just not cutting it...
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777
It's currently closed for refurb and they give you 10 dollars off breakfast in the restaurant (which buys you a cup of coffee and a glass of juice ) as compensation if you have a club room/ have Platinum status.
Wooow... They should really comp breakfast if the lounge is closed like all other chains.

I usually have no problems having them removing the resort and parking fee. BTW, I have no idea why one would even consider paying for valet parking at this property.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by heffa
Wooow... They should really comp breakfast if the lounge is closed like all other chains.

I usually have no problems having them removing the resort and parking fee. BTW, I have no idea why one would even consider paying for valet parking at this property.
Yeah, the breakfast deal is pretty lame. The restaurant is pretty blah... There's a Corner Bakery that's opening next week just down the road, 3 minutes drive from the hotel. I love their breakfast Sandwiches and their "Swiss Oatmeal" or better known as Bircher Muesli.

Resort fee is comped for Platinums, but I haven't gotten parking comped.

I like Valet parking and it's only 4 dollars extra
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777
I like Valet parking and it's only 4 dollars extra
I'm a big fan of valet parking myself, but in this case they park the car outside close to the main entrance. With valet parking you need to walk all the way to the main entrance, which can be a "long" walk. Instead you can use regular parking and park outside (close to) your room, or use the garage under the building, which is great during rain season.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
I'm considering this hotel for a "romantic getaway" Thu-Sun next week - is it likely to be overrun with families this time of year?

It sounds like if one doesn't care about Legoland then there may be better options, but we don't want to drive too much further South from LA/OC area (I'd have preferred Dana Point/Laguna Beach area but didn't see anything nice there that's not super-expensive).
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: Bonvoyed LT Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by asya999
It sounds like if one doesn't care about Legoland then there may be better options, but we don't want to drive too much further South from LA/OC area (I'd have preferred Dana Point/Laguna Beach area but didn't see anything nice there that's not super-expensive).
Why not push an extra half hour to the W or US Grant? Weekend rates are usually pretty good. Also, there's the new Hilton by Petco Park. If that's too far south, the Hilton Torrey Pines has always treated us very well on special occasions with terrific rooms or suites overlooking the South Course's 18th green. Contact the GM ahead of time and he'll ensure you have a great weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.