Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:00 pm
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by mario33
No upgrade or breakfast for Golds, rate seems ok.
Taxi ride from airport approx SGD15-20.
Yes, Conrad is better value if you are HHonors Gold (you get free breakfast and minor room upgrade).
I got a suite u/g (as HHG) last time I was at the Conrad (2004). Club level access is definitely worth it, great view, free drinks, food . From this thread, I'm not sure I'd be tempted to try *w in SIN ... - too many other great options; e.g. Shangri-La valley wing and of course Raffles
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by veritas
Just finished a 3 day stay in the Le Meridien Singapore using points. I was given excellent Plat recognition. I was upgraded to a large one bedroom suite without asking. I was also given the 500 point Plat amenity. As a plat I got free broadband internet and complimentary free hot buffet breafast (really good) at the cafe in the hotel. In the evenings there were free cocktails from 6-8 pm in the club lounge. After eating at the cafe for breakfast one time, the attendant remembered my name the next morning when she saw me walk in...that always impresses me.

The lobby is a bit dated, but my suite was big and very clean. The hotel location is centrally located and I was able to watch the Chinese New Year parade from my window overlooking Orchard Street. The Somerset MRT stop is about a 5 min walk from the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again. Great location, good rooms, nice service and free internet.

I fully agree. I was also somewhat wary after reading the reviews on FT and elsewhere. But I had a nice upgrade and very good service, as described above, last June. So I will definitely come back to Le Meridien Singapore (just as I will come back to the IC, which has gone downhill, the Sheraton, the Conrad ^ and the Shangri-La ^, just avoiding the Hilton)
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
What? not even an upgrade? Is there any reason to stay there as a *W gold?
Is the pool nice?
Is there a lot to do for 3 days in the area w/ out car?
As Gold, you will get
1) 50% bonus points
2) 4pm late check-out
3) "preferred" room (usually higher floor but same category)

Pool looks ok from the room (from several floors up, I dont usually use hotel pools in city hotels) but I wouldnt say its extra ordinary nice.

MRT station is next to hotel (2-5min walk), so getting around isnt a problem. In any case, taxis fares are very reasonably in SIN.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
Another stay at Le Meridien Singapore, no upgrade at all. Told I was given Deluxe room and had club lounge access, but that was what my reservation (and price) paid for. AC unable to cool room below 25C (78F) even running all night. Waiting to see if it is either fixed or I am given at least a working room -- will post update when I return to hotel tonight.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:52 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
Nothing done until I returned. Maintenance then went up and changed the filter, also telling me that if the AC wasn't getting the temp down below 25 by being set on 18, I should have turned it to 8 which would "make it cool faster". Spent an hour wiht new filter and setting of 8, absolutely zip, zilch, zero change, still at 25. They will be moving me to a new room in an hour.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 1:11 pm

same non-upgraded room type but what a difference when the AC works properly in steamy Singapore.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:34 pm

Current Stay report from Le Meridien Singapore

I was totally satisfied with my stay at this hotel for the following reasons.

Only category 2 left in Singapore - for 3000 weekend and 4000 spg weekday points, this hotel is a bargain (especially with the recent devaluation). The pricing includes all the taxes and if you are platinum, will include free breakfast, all day lounge (for drinks), free internet access. Basically, everything that you would normally spend money on otherwise, is available free of charge to you. My total bill was 3 SGD for some local calls. (I use a voip phone when travelling internationally

Location is quite central and ammenities are close by. The other advantage is that access to the rest of the city is quite central, as this is where Orchard Road basically starts. The mall downstairs is quite disappointing but some fresh juice/fruit stand can be helpful.

Service is not too bad. Baggage took a while to get to our rooms, but overall, the effort is reasonable.

Overall Singapore Impressions: I went with 2 children (ages 2 and 4) and planned to use the MRT. It was extremely difficult and we opted for Taxi instead. We encountered taxi hell on at least 2 occasions and found that reports on Trip Advisor and Virtual Tourist regarding the honesty of taxi driver's is somewhat unwarranted. Some asked for more money to go to a destination, and the queues were in some cases, unbearable.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by mikeinseattle
IThe pricing includes all the taxes and if you are platinum, will include free breakfast, all day lounge (for drinks), free internet access. .
Sorry, dead wrong. Free internet is only avialable if you were upgraded. If a plat is not upgraded (ME) then you pay 28 to 35 per day for Inet. Double shafting, no upgrade and pay extra for Inet. The benefit goes with the room type, not the Plat status. Had a nice 'discussion' on check out over this little tidbit.

Breakfast and lounge are free.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 5:01 am
Suspended

The mall downstairs is quite disappointing but some fresh juice/fruit stand can be helpful.
I thought at least one of the stalls at the foodcourt in the basement sells fruit juice. Failing that, the first stall at the outdoor hawker centre next to the hotel building serves various varieties of drinks including sugar cane juice (which goes very well with Singapore Laksa ^ )

....the honesty of taxi driver's is somewhat unwarranted. Some asked for more money to go to a destination
I am surprised; Singapore in my opinion has the best taxi drivers in the world unlike what I have encountered elsewhere. What you have described was quite common a quarter of a century ago but this sort of behaviour is "almost" non-existent these days. The younger drivers are better educated, more polite and generally very honest.

Could the additional charge be for "peak hour/public holiday" fare surcharge or for the ERP tolls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Road_Pricing ?
Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Been staying the Le Meridien Singapore for about 1 year now (3 wks per month, every month).

Internet is now included in executive rooms and suites. Otherwise as stated previously, it's S$28 and S$35 for wired and wireless internet respectively.

Agree that the hotel is in getting very old and dilapidated in many regards. There's high turnover at the front desk and there seems to be 2 new trainees every 2-3 wks. At least they try hard.

All the staff recognises me now, but that doesn't mean I get any niceties (being a regular OR being SPG Plat). I've only been upgraded twice (out of 14 stays), but this could be due to the fact that I'm staying 21+ days normally.

While all the platinum amenities are nice, I have had to chase after SPG to credit my account for the past 8 stays because LM seems to forget to credit the points. (You think they would have started to remember by now.)

Evening lounge hours were recently extended until 10pm, which is helpful for those of us who get off work late.

All-in-all, it's an okay hotel. I get more preferential treatment back in the US, but I think this has to do w/ the fact that Le Meridien only joined Starwood last year, and they've been slow to recognise all the perks afforded to SPG Plat members. But over 1 yr later, they better be getting their act together.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by alc217
Been staying the Le Meridien Singapore for about 1 year now (3 wks per month, every month).

Internet is now included in executive rooms and suites. Otherwise as stated previously, it's S$28 and S$35 for wired and wireless internet respectively.

Agree that the hotel is in getting very old and dilapidated in many regards. There's high turnover at the front desk and there seems to be 2 new trainees every 2-3 wks. At least they try hard.

All the staff recognises me now, but that doesn't mean I get any niceties (being a regular OR being SPG Plat). I've only been upgraded twice (out of 14 stays), but this could be due to the fact that I'm staying 21+ days normally.

While all the platinum amenities are nice, I have had to chase after SPG to credit my account for the past 8 stays because LM seems to forget to credit the points. (You think they would have started to remember by now.)

Evening lounge hours were recently extended until 10pm, which is helpful for those of us who get off work late.

All-in-all, it's an okay hotel. I get more preferential treatment back in the US, but I think this has to do w/ the fact that Le Meridien only joined Starwood last year, and they've been slow to recognise all the perks afforded to SPG Plat members. But over 1 yr later, they better be getting their act together.
Your review is almost exactly what I would say! It's definitely a worn-out hotel, inside and out. They need to spend a fortune on room upgrades, and also need to re-do the mall below or change the entry into the hotel.
But service always does seem to try hard. I've never been treated rudely there. That said, I've also never been upgraded, so I always use a SPG50 and get a Suite, which includes both Lounge Access and free Internet. The room, though big, is nothing special. It might win "longest bathroom" award, however, if it wins anything.
It's clean, there is a nice fruit plate and chocolates for me (not sure if it's because of Plat or I've reserved a suite?), and the lounge is actually quite a nice place--free WiFi, friendly waiters, and some snacks. It is not usually crowded, at least in recent experience. It seems to be the ONLY part of the hotel that has been recently remodeled??
I think Club Level folks can also use the restaurant for breakfast, but I've never tried.
For 3K points, or for SPG50, it's a decent deal, but at room rates of S$205 (how could they be increasing room rates?), it's better to look elsewhere--the Inter-Continental at Bugis is often less than that for standard room on a weekend, and a lot nicer--I prefer the Bugis location for "local" flavor, vs. Orchard Road, but YMMV.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:16 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I did both the LeM and the Sheraton in SIN this month.

LeM - A flashback to the 1980's in decor, and not much customer service. Offered me free internet in my welcome letter, and then tried to charge me. I won't be back when the alternatives include...

Sheraton - Also dated, but not as badly, and they seem to be updating the gym. Outstanding service.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 4:00 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
I have had a different experience at Le Meridien on my last ten stays in the last fifteen months or so.

Upgraded as a Platinum nine times out of ten! (Although each was just a one night stay). Nearly all were award stays.

The suites are fairly plain, but quite functional, with a completely separate living room, with desk and free internet. I wouldn't say that in any way that the rooms are dilapidated or worn out.

The lounge is quite good, with attentive waiter service for drinks, although the snacks are often a bit lacking - often just fried spring rolls or curry puffs.

Complimentary breakfast in the lounge is very good, with a hot buffet with sausages, bacon and scrambled eggs, and all the other buffet extras including juices, cereal, cold cuts, smoked salmon etc. The waiter will also take orders for a freshly cooked hot breakfast.

The immediate outside area is a bit tacky, but you are only a few steps to a decent pub - the Dubliner - a good supermarket (Cold Storage) - and, of course, Orchard Road shopping; the Somerset MRT is just five minutes away.

Last edited by VanMan; Jul 10, 2007 at 4:04 am Reason: Factual Corrections
Old Jul 10, 2007, 5:11 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
yep

this platinum has been upgraded to a nice suite last week..

but it was only for two days.

i guess you have to talk a serious word with the GM, and tell him that if you dont get the suite everytime you will just work to another chain which appreciates your business.

its guys like you which are the money cows for the hotels.

dp
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VanMan
The suites are fairly plain, but quite functional, with a completely separate living room, with desk and free internet. I wouldn't say that in any way that the rooms are dilapidated or worn out.
Not the usual executive "suite" with full sized living room and separate guest toilet, but more of a large room with a partition between sleeping and sofa area. I actually prefer a large non-suite room over these suites. While the rooms are generally clean, it has a very dated feel. Not sure why they dont bother upgrading the rooms considering the hotel is sitting on very prime real estate; redevelopment plans in the near future ???

Platinum members have option of having breakfast in the restaurant (apart from the lounge). Much better spread in the restaurant but a lot busier than the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.