Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Old Apr 4, 06, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Arrow Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Can anyone tell me where I would be best staying as a Starwood Platinum.
Old Apr 4, 06, 3:19 pm

There's a very lenghty thread on the Le Meridien's in Singapore.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533661

I recently stayed at all three of the SPG properties in Singapore after the cutover date fo the LM's to SPG.

Here are links to posts I made in regards to my stay at the 3 SPG properties in Singapore.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=36

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=42
Old Apr 4, 06, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I have decided to book Sheraton, thanks for the information!
Old Apr 4, 06, 9:17 pm
iwc

Originally Posted by steven_s
I have decided to book Sheraton, thanks for the information!
Wise choice. ^
Old Apr 4, 06, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Sheraton not much either

Very nice people, but unless they book you into a suite - and there aren't many/any available - the rooms at the Sheraton are at best mediocre, not nearly as nice as most non-US Sheratons. No lounge, no Sweet Sleeper bed (although the bed I slept in last week was ok). The duty managers were very apologetic, but unless you insist you probably won't get any of the possible upgrades. You can negotiate for the following to make up for the small, downmarket room: breakfast, drinks in the lounge, and a bit of laundry. They eventually offered me an 'upgrade' to the full butler service room which includes 8 pieces of laundry...
Old Apr 4, 06, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by SportsTech
Very nice people, but unless they book you into a suite - and there aren't many/any available - the rooms at the Sheraton are at best mediocre, not nearly as nice as most non-US Sheratons. No lounge, no Sweet Sleeper bed (although the bed I slept in last week was ok). The duty managers were very apologetic, but unless you insist you probably won't get any of the possible upgrades. You can negotiate for the following to make up for the small, downmarket room: breakfast, drinks in the lounge, and a bit of laundry. They eventually offered me an 'upgrade' to the full butler service room which includes 8 pieces of laundry...
As a Platinum member who has stayed there many times since January 2005 I haven't had to haggle over upgrades. If they can't upgrade you to a suite, they will likely put you on the 5th floor and offer you breakfast from the restaurant. As with any properties upgrades are based on availability. Regardless the staff here are pleasant and the Sheraton is still the best of the 3 properties in Singapore where you can earn stay credits. If you think the Sheraton is bad, I'm afraid to see what you'll think of the rooms at the LM Orchard.
Old Apr 5, 06, 5:23 am

I must say though the rain showerheads in the rest rooms of Le Meridien Changi Village is a nice feature. I got upgraded to bigger corner rooms last time I stayed there and was quite impressed with the cleaniness. It's a hotel I would choose if I am in transit for in Singapore for more than 10 hours. The swimming pool, I hear at the Changi village, is quite nice... (I didn't get to use it because I left early in the morning....and arrived after the pool closed).
Old Apr 5, 06, 6:07 am
Suspended

the rooms at the Sheraton are at best mediocre, not nearly as nice as most non-US Sheratons.
Apart from the Luxury Collection or newly completed Sheratons, I dont believe there are many other Sheratons with better rooms than the Sheraton SIN. Though small in size ,it is certainly more comfortable than many other sub-grade Sheratons in the region like Sheraton Penang etc And its one of the very few Sheratons that provide Molton Brown toiletries in a standard room.

Last edited by mario33; Apr 5, 06 at 6:14 am
Old Apr 5, 06, 11:28 am

Sweet Sleeper?

no Sweet Sleeper bed (although the bed I slept in last week was ok).
Mario is right ^

Hope you're not suggesting they should progress 'backward'?

Its 290TC-Frette sheet they're using and you're still looking for 230TC Sweet Sleeper?

Pillow top mattress ^ , MortonBrown , well-filled down pillow , except for the room size, this place is so close to being a Luxury Collection.
Old Apr 5, 06, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by mario33
Apart from the Luxury Collection or newly completed Sheratons, I dont believe there are many other Sheratons with better rooms than the Sheraton SIN. Though small in size ,it is certainly more comfortable than many other sub-grade Sheratons in the region like Sheraton Penang etc And its one of the very few Sheratons that provide Molton Brown toiletries in a standard room.
I'm curious when was the last time you saw the MB branded toiletries in their standard rooms? I haven't seen them there since last May, and have had 5 stays with them since then, all on the 5th floor. OTOH, I'm not going to complain about the Revive toiletries I've been seeing there, certainly beats the standard Sheraton toiletries I've seen in the US and at some LON properties.
Old Apr 5, 06, 4:05 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
The Sheraton in Singapore is alot better than most Sheratons in the States. Its a night and day difference.
Old Apr 5, 06, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.9mm,AA ex-EXP,Hy Glob, Acc Plt,HH Dia,Onyx Plt,Mar LT Tit,IHG Spi,RR G,BW Dia,FPC Plt
Originally Posted by steven_s
Can anyone tell me where I would be best staying as a Starwood Platinum.
While the Sheraton Towers is a much nicer hotel than the LM Orchard, I like the non-edible amenities the LM Orchard provided (polo shirt and Hermes cologne).
Old Apr 5, 06, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kluau88
As a Platinum member who has stayed there many times since January 2005 I haven't had to haggle over upgrades. If they can't upgrade you to a suite, they will likely put you on the 5th floor and offer you breakfast from the restaurant. As with any properties upgrades are based on availability. Regardless the staff here are pleasant and the Sheraton is still the best of the 3 properties in Singapore where you can earn stay credits. If you think the Sheraton is bad, I'm afraid to see what you'll think of the rooms at the LM Orchard.
I'm Plat as well, and in fact moved over to the SIN Sheraton from the Ritz Carlton - AT EXACTLY THE SAME RATE - because I expected typical international Plat treatment - i.e. excellence. Had I actually checked out the hotel before moving, I would have (should have) stayed at the Ritz; they simply aren't comparable hotels. I noted that the staff was decent but the 5th floor room I was offered smelled like the inside of an ashtray, and the veranda it came with wasn't particularly compelling. Otherwise, the room was small, and the bathroom was dated.

For those who think this is "better than any US Sheraton", I suggest 2 things: 1) that simply isn't true, there are a number of comparable US Sheraton properties, including the much-maligned New York Tower and the Sheraton Boston, and 2) that is a VERY low bar for comparison. Relative to other INTERNATIONAL Sheratons, this one doesn't rate in my opinion, and is significantly overpriced to boot.
Old Apr 6, 06, 1:09 am

Programs: UA1k 2.9mm,AA ex-EXP,Hy Glob, Acc Plt,HH Dia,Onyx Plt,Mar LT Tit,IHG Spi,RR G,BW Dia,FPC Plt
SportsTech,

If you didn't like the Sheraton, you probably would have hated the LM Orchard! The Ritz is newer and fancier.

As for price, the Sheraton is cheaper than the Grand Hyatt.
Old Apr 6, 06, 9:44 am
Suspended

Relative to other INTERNATIONAL Sheratons, this one doesn't rate in my opinion, and is significantly overpriced to boot.
Maybe you should name the INTERNATIONAL Sheratons (LC Sheratons excluded) which you rate higher than the Sheraton SIN . I am not suggesting that the Sheraton SIN is among the best Sheratons around, but it certainly isnt among the worst.

However, I agree with you that this hotel is significantly overpriced especially over the last couple of years. I have been checking their rates but always ended up staying elsewhere which provides better value.

Last edited by mario33; Apr 6, 06 at 9:57 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: