Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which hotel in London ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel in London ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Unfortunately, there are many other threads about this very topic. You don't mention if you're Platinum. Perhaps calling the Platinum concierge to assist you may help. And btw there are "laws" about the number of people in a room.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:45 pm

I'm SPG Gold. My points come from AMEX Starwood purchases. I'll try a search.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
You may want to try the LM Piccadilly. They have some reasonably priced (or used to) suites that will sleep four. We stayed in one last summer with two kids.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines, starwood
HI there.......we had your same situation last summer. We stayed at the Park Lane for 3 nights and then traveled on to Capetown, and on the return trip we stayed 3 more nights. I decided to pay by starpoints. I too noticed that one regular room could only accommodate 2 people. I called SPG (I'm only gold)ked what to do, told them I couldnot afford to pay for 2 rooms! She put me on hold and called the hotel directly. For all 4 of us 9 and 12 year old included, we needed to book a studio suite or full suite. At the time the studio suite was 12,000-15,000 pts a night, I can't remember for sure now. I booked the studio suite for our first stay and the full suite for our return stay. Even on the confirmation for the studio it said only 3 people. SPG called the hotel again and they said that the studio suite is large enough for 4 and it was ok. There was a king bed and a sofa bed and they brought in a rollaway. It was a good size room and had a nice bathroom. It had perfect aircond. as well and we sure needed it because they were in the middle of the hottest heat wave ever!

On our return, we stayed in the suite. We arrived early iin the morning and of course our room wasn't ready, but my husband had the flu and needed to lie down. They gave a regular room as a temporary room which was nice so my husband could lie down. But as a room to stay in for a whole trip it was awful!! We were happy to get inoto our suite. It was nice to have more room, but was tricky to arrange a roll away and sofa bed in the sitting room but they managed it!

I hope this info helps!
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: spg
Originally Posted by southernfriedcj
I am traveling to London soon, and I have reserved a room at the Park Lane Hotel for 9 nights. I used 96,000 Starwood Points to "pay" for the room. When I placed the reservation online there was a form to fill out that included number of adults. As my wife and I and our 9 & 11 year old daughters were traveling I put 2on the form.
Once the reservation was confirmed I sent an email to the hotel requesting a roll away bed for my daughters. The reply I recieved from the Park Lane stated my resereved room was not eledgible for a rollaway bed.
I called the Park Lane front desk and ask the MOD to upgrade my room to a room that would acept a roll away bed. The MOD informed me that the laws of Britain state that only 3 people can occupy a hotel room. He stated that I could upgrade to a suite or get an adjoining room for another 96,000 Stawood Points.
Give me a break! I need to book an extra room for my 9 & 11 year old daughters? Does anyone have any helpful advice? At this point I'm going to "smuggle" one of the girls into the room.
I have 636,000 Starwood Points left on my account, if this is what I can expect when using them I will be dropping Starwood like a dirty shirt when the points are gone.

Thanks, Jim

If it's against the law, then I don't see how you can reasonably blame SPG. You've got so many points - why don't you just opt for the suite?

BTW, I just stayed at the Park Lane a few weeks ago and thought it was a very nice hotel in a great location - easy access to the tube, accroee the park from Buckingham Palace, short walk to Picidilly - it would be a great location for a family visit.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Help with London Hotel

I'm flying in and out of Gatwick as CO flies through there and like to stay the night before I leave at an airport hotel. On my last trip, I stayed at a Hilton at the airport which was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. I seem to recall that there is a Meridien near Gatwick, but can't find it on the SPG Reservations page. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:03 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
The "closest" I've seen is the Belgravia, not too far from Victoria Station (where the Gatwick Express deposits you in London, a short walk from the station thru a very nice neighborhood to what I've found to be one of the BEST SPG props in London, just IMHO). Nothing closer that I've found either---altho' it sure would be NICE if there was

It's not that far from various tube stations either, giving you decent tube access to London..and before I go on and on about it, there's at least a couple of threads or more on it here in the SPG forum.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
The former Le Meridien Gatwick is now the Sofitel London Gatwick. It is connected to the North Terminal.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA,UA,CX
Starwood hotel

I work for Starwood and I can confirm we have no property near Gatwick
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Thanks- Belgravia Sheraton is where I'm spending the 1st week of my trip- it's nice and I think the best value of the London Starwoods. I did a search on the airport Meridien and initially found nothing but I did another and I did find one thread saying that the Meridien is now a Sofitel, as mentioned above. The search yielded some info, but not much recent information- I'd love to hear from people who've recently been to Sheraton Belgravia and Meridien Piccidilly.

I just wish that they had a Starwood near Gatwick- the Skyline Sheraton at Heathrow is very nice. But, as Continental flies into Gatwick, I can't do that. I decided to stay the final 2 nights at the Meridien Piccidilly, just to change things a bit. I just hope things have calmed down by the time I get there- I feel jinxed with London. When I booked a trip in 2005 they had the tube bombings a few days later, and now this new trouble. I'm watching the news a lot and keeping informed.

At least I'll be there to get the new Harry Potter book for all my nieces!
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by zagorsky
I work for Starwood and I can confirm we have no property near Gatwick
Just/only curious...Any insight as to why not? Not even a 4-points (oh, gosh, here come the flames now.....)?

LGW is certainly less of a "zoo" than Heathrow is, and often was my airport of choice when I "had" to fly into London.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA,UA,CX
Starwood hotel

I am from Naples area and I too wish we had a property near GATWICK. But I will try to avoid connecting through London, despite I lived there 7 years. I f you can afford, congratulation if you can, stay at The Lanesborough We do not have a FOUR POINTS near Gatwick probably because we cannot find a suitable hotel to manage/own. I worked at LE MERIDIEN 15 years ago, it was very nice then I do not know now. But I am sure it still is. Good Luck anyway
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by zagorsky
But I will try to avoid connecting through London, despite I lived there 7 years. I f you can afford, congratulation if you can, stay at The Lanesborough
Thanks....Unless you're posting a winning lottery ticket on CC anytime soon, I doubt that's in my near future I did get an unbelievable "mistake" rate there for last summer (a couple of heated threads on it elsewhere, to be sure) but couldn't afford the mid-summer airfare to London to enjoy it!

I was half joking about a 4-pts....yeah, can't imagine a co. there that would pick it up.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I would think that Gatwick would offering good earning potential for a *W property. Alas, no hotel for us.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac
I would think that Gatwick would offering good earning potential for a *W property. Alas, no hotel for us.
My thoughts as well...thus the reason for the question, perchance some with SPG-site savvy might lend light on it. I'm sure it's been considered, and there may be some economical or otherwise business-wise rationale for SPG's pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.