Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin O'Hare, ORD, Rosemont, IL (Chicago) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin O'Hare, ORD, Rosemont, IL (Chicago) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Hi SD1K, nope, no club lounge. I've had everything from a two room suite to a 1 room suite to a regular BR there. Definitely depends on occupancy.

Restaurant and lounge are quite pricey. If you have a car, you'll pay for parking but have more dining options.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Spent a night at Westin O'Hare last week. Arrived late (10pm), and was told no suites available -- was given requested King room, on top floor (exec club level).

- Room had new furniture, and was up to date w/all brand standards (bed, bath, towels) except TV was not flat panel (not that I cared...).
- 1 bottle of the water in room was labelled free.
- No lounge - but they gave me a free breakfast coupon. My flight was at 7, though, and the restaurant didn't open til 6am, so that was worthless.
- I used HSIA, expecting to pay $9.95, but it didn't appear on the folio and when I asked at checkout, I was told it was free.
- The shuttle to ORD left exactly on time, and had me at AA in 10 mins as promised; I took the 6am shuttle, had time to buy breakfast & a newspaper, and make it to K18 by 635am. ^

All in all, this property was exactly what I needed it to be: a good night's sleep convenient to ORD.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:44 pm

Checked in today around 1PM. Went up to the 11th floor to find a series of tv boxes along the hallway. Came back at 9PM, now have a 42" Philips LCD to watch -- serious improvement. Looks like they were installed in all rooms on the 11th floor.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:36 am

Stayed here last night. Booked as a standard room, one night. I was upgraded to the 12th floor as a PLT member and offered the ammenity.

The rooms are still nice, but this hotel definitely gets used. The beside lamp and clock radio definitely have had their share of sleepy hands trying to find them in the dark.

From my room (1210) I >can< see ORD runways, but there is no outside noise.

Still only one bottle of local-brand H2O - there are two bottles of Panna water for sale on the desk at $5@.

My room has a Phillips 50" LCD TV.

The toiletries are in the process of being switched over to the new "Tea" line from Westin. I had everything new, except old style Westin Bath Wash. There was only ONE bar of soap and it comes in a funky thin leaf shape. It is nice, but a normal size/shape bar would be appreciated, too.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: United- 1K, National-ExSelect, Hilton- Dia, Marriott- PlatPrem, Hyatt - Diamond
Will be staying here every Sunday for the next few months. Any reccomendations to get the nicest rooms?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by Softwizard
There was only ONE bar of soap and it comes in a funky thin leaf shape. It is nice, but a normal size/shape bar would be appreciated, too.
I suppose this shows that this started long before this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...t-amenity.html

And for a moment, I thought only the Westin LAX had such an early start to the 1 soap policy.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Unpleasant stay

I've stayed at many of the SPG O'Hare properties and decided to book a suite for Friday night at this Westin. I've been there before so I thought I knew what to expect. I rarely (if ever- I can't recall exactly) get upgraded to a suite here, so I paid the extra amount so my family would have a nice place to meet my 9 week old son.

I called ahead and put in the reservation that I'd need a crib. I called to see that it was in the suite when we arrived. The person answering the phone seemed not at all interested, and wasn't very nice. I chalked it up to a bad day.

I arrived with my 9 year old niece and 9 week old son with so much stuff that I had to call for help with the luggage. I dropped off all our stuff and proceeded to the parking lot, where I saw it was $30 for a night. Okay, it's Chicago. But I didn't know (and will not forget in the future) that my family had to pay $19 just to park there for an hour as they came up to meet the baby.

The suite was very sad looking. It had an emptied mini-bar (I was told they're phasing them out) and no door between the living room and bedroom. It was just "blah". I would've taken the chance on an upgrade rather than pay for the suite had I known all of the problems we'd have, plus the small bedroom and no door between. But what surprised me was that the crib was nowhere to be seen. I called again (4th time as I had asked also at check-in and told it should be there but if not, call) and was told it was on its way up. We stayed in the room about an hour and it still didn't arrive.

My biggest problem with the room was the humidity and heat in the room. I thought it was just me when we left for dinner, but when my son and I returned I noticed that the ice in the ice bucket had melted all the way down in our 2 hour absence. I called and again, the person answering was just not happy to be there. I requested someone to check the air and also, the crib, which was still not there. I also asked if they'd stopped putting water in the rooms for Plats, because there was nothing.

I'd noticed in the bathroom that they no longer had the shower/bath gel, which it seems is being phased out at some (maybe all?) properties. The tub had an ugly crack and big chip out of it and there were only 2 bath towels. The bedroom was TINY and the air conditioning vent in there barely worked.

They came to check the air conditioning and the workman told me that they were cutting back on costs, and one part was making sure that the air conditioning wasn't running too much. You can set it for 60 degrees if you want, but it doesn't go down to that temp. It's not something they advertise but it doesn't matter what you put the temp to, they have a a pre-set temp. He admitted that it was humid in the room and did something to the vents, but the room was too warm and humid all night. What surprised me is that we couldn't set the temp to a comfortable level for us, because they were cutting back. Now I paid for the suite, and I think I should be able to have the suite at a temp that works for me. I understand that they need to cut back in certain areas, but for me, that is a deal-breaker. My son had just had his 1st shots and was running a low-grade fever, but I couldn't tell if he was warm due to the too-warm room or the shots. The air temp control is in the bedroom and controls both rooms. So there wasn't one area I could escape to when it got too warm.

It was a long night, and I was only on the 3rd floor! Heat rises so I wonder what it was like on other floors. Also, at check in I was not asked what I wanted for my Plat amenity. I wasn't given the Plat card holder, but the regular purple one. Perhaps they're phasing those out, as well?

I ordered a movie, thinking that it would distract me from the humidity. I had to pause it when the crib finally arrived and then again when my son needed to eat. The 2nd time it wouldn't return to movie. I called down but I was on hold. One person finally told me that they might be having trouble with the system. I waited, really wanting to see "Angels and Demons" and figuring it wouldn't be long. I tried to access the movie several times, then gave up. I didn't have time to watch it in the morning (it DID work when I tried it this morning) so I paid $15.99 plus tax for a movie that didn't work.

I had waited in a long line to check in, and they weren't manning the SPG check-in area. One person working the desk had many customers grumbling. But check-out today was worse. I waited 10 minutes as the only desk clerk dealt with an unhappy customer on the phone (at least from what I could hear) and finally she got to the man ahead of me. She asked him how his stay was and he told her that he didn't have water in his room when he'd checked in and she gave him points for that! (At least I know I wasn't the only 1 who didn't get her water!)

Just then a 2nd desk clerk arrived and I went forward to check out. He didn't look at me, didn't ask me how my stay was, and just checked me out. I had my baby who was now crying after such a long wait and some pretty grumpy people waiting behind me, so I decided to just let it go. Now I am angry at myself for doing so.

I am surprised at the level of service at this hotel. I've had several wonderful stays there. But the rude or just uninterested employees, the lack of attention to details and the inability to fix the air conditioning really added up to a bad stay. I'm done with this particular Westin and am happy that there are other Starwood hotels nearby.

I love Starwood, I just don't think this property is worth the rates they charge, and is certainly not worth 7000 points for a night. I found the room service man and the bellman very kind, but the person manning the guest services button yesterday and this morning lacked not only energy but manners. Even with future frequent trips to O'Hare, I'm sorry to say that I won't be staying at the O'Hare Westin again. It really surprised me, and I hope they work on their customer service!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:14 am

Trouble ahead? Westin O'Hare at risk of default (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=34965). Of note: "The average occupancy at the Westin O’Hare fell to 53% in the first five months of the year, down from 69% in 2008, and the average daily rate (ADR) fell to $117 a room, down from $145 last year" -- ouch
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I stayed yesterday and the occupancy was OK considering.

I received a Plat upgrade to what they called a "Premier King", which was a pretty large room at the end of the hallway. But not a suite. There were two leaf bars of soap but all in all a pretty sparse room. The restaurant was pretty poor. They said they could not get the Cubs game on TV in the bar since it is on Comcast and the hotel doesn't want to pay for that channel!?!? I think the Heavenly bed was the only good thing about this stay.

Nowadays the shuttle only stops for pickups at the shuttle center which I had to brave torrential rains to get to and which was NOT at all well marked in places.

I switched to the IC O'Hare which is a vastly better property with two excellent restaurants, McCormick and Schmicks and Capital Grille. Here I got an Executive Suite upgrade and the same type of bed for a cheaper price than the Westin. Starwood needs to up its game at ORD.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
complimentary breakfast for Plats?

Do they provide complimentary breakfast to Plats?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by happydsa
Do they provide complimentary breakfast to Plats?
Was there yesterday. No complimentary breakfast for Plats. No upgrade. No bottled water in room. One soap.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I am in the Westin O'Hare now. I had a cheap corporate rate, but parking is $30, no free breakfast (buffet is $22). I was upgraded to 11th floor king.
A few problems:
1. There is a newish Phillips flat panel TV but it alternates light/dark.
2. One of the shower heads sprays the room.
3. A package to be delivered to the room took a couple hours because they had the room number wrong. I have not yet commented on these things but will do so this AM.

On balance it is about what I expect. the use is so heavy that glitches are probable, but the hotel is decent for the price I'm paying. Were I paying rack rates I'd be livid.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I am in the Westin O'Hare now. I had a cheap corporate rate, but parking is $30, no free breakfast (buffet is $22). I was upgraded to 11th floor king.
A few problems:
1. There is a newish Phillips flat panel TV but it alternates light/dark.
2. One of the shower heads sprays the room.
3. A package to be delivered to the room took a couple hours because they had the room number wrong. I have not yet commented on these things but will do so this AM.

On balance it is about what I expect. the use is so heavy that glitches are probable, but the hotel is decent for the price I'm paying. Were I paying rack rates I'd be livid.
I've stayed here before early AM flights and scored an $85 rate...for that price the place is fine, but I wouldn't pay much more than $100 for this place.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
but parking is $30
That is very high for the area- Sheraton is $14 for example.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Stayed in this propery twice in last few weeks. First time Plt upgrade to suite on fifth floor I think. Nice.

Second stay Plt upgrade not to suite but to very large room with very high ceiling on the top floor. My wife actually preferred the room to the suite.

Plus aspects... nice indoor pool with great 180 view of airport...

Dissapointment.... breakfast. No club at this property and no breakfast coupons ... I do not mind paying over $20 for a breakfast if its a great buffet... this was just OK... more compareable to a low grade Sheraton than what I have beome used to at Westins. Though the Chefs egg white omlett my wife got was a high point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.