Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tysons Corner, Virginia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Tysons Corner, Virginia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by troyb
I was staying at the Westin, but at check in the Platinum amenity card (which I was provided without asking for it) noted a 250 point amenity, rather than the 500 points which would normally be given for staying at a Westin. I just assumed that it was a 4 Points version of the card and that my 500 points would post properly, which they did.

Thanks for following up.
I had the same experience and the desk clerk said that it would only be 250 points. So I just checked and no points posted. So now I need to make yet another call to customer service . . .
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:55 am

I stay at this property practically every week. It says 250 on the card, but you will get 500 points. At least thats what i've been getting every week.

The only thing of note is that the rates posted in this thread seem to be way off from what I've been getting. Standard rates on spg.com have been about $249-$300 per night. As my company only pays for $200 a night in the area, I use the SPG50 award and spend 1K points every week just to reduce the rate to $174.

Also - there are non-suite rooms that sell for $194 w/ the SPG50 rate. These have bikes or treadmills in them for those who dont wanna run down to the cramped gym downstairs.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by DCFratboy22
The only thing of note is that the rates posted in this thread seem to be way off from what I've been getting. Standard rates on spg.com have been about $249-$300 per night. As my company only pays for $200 a night in the area, I use the SPG50 award and spend 1K points every week just to reduce the rate to $174.
Typical DC-area rate nonsense. Properties that sometimes have extremely high prices during the week (over $300 for Westin type hotels) can and often do drop to $80-175 on the weekends. However, given the location, I'm surprised to hear that this hotel is so much during the week. Does your company have any sort of discount/SET program? Even if not, what is the AAA rate like?

I enjoyed my stay, but wouldn't be too happy spending 250-300 there. For that, you can get the Ritz Carlton at Tysons.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by troyb
Typical DC-area rate nonsense. Properties that sometimes have extremely high prices during the week (over $300 for Westin type hotels) can and often do drop to $80-175 on the weekends. However, given the location, I'm surprised to hear that this hotel is so much during the week. Does your company have any sort of discount/SET program? Even if not, what is the AAA rate like?

I enjoyed my stay, but wouldn't be too happy spending 250-300 there. For that, you can get the Ritz Carlton at Tysons.
Agree with you. Rates on weekend are waaaay lower. AAA rates during the week are about 20-30$ less per day, but i'm not a member.

My company uses the Crowne Plaza and another local hotel for our "preferred hotels" because of negotiated $200 a night rates. I have not seen any substantial discounts when trying to book stays through our internal travel website (through Carslon Wagonlit) so I always just book by myself by calling Plat Concierge (since I cant use SPG50 online). Since i can drive the rate down to $174-196 by using SPG50, I can stay w/ the Starwood chain. BTW - SPG50 is almost never available at the Sheraton Premier down the road.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:21 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Does anyone have any recent experience here?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Does anyone have any recent experience here?
Yes, and my apologies for not posting earlier. My advice? Stay away! This is nothing like your typical Westin. The Westins in Reston and Herndon are in much better shape.

The Westin Tysons Corner is on Ramada Rd., revealing it's former identity and it is every bit of a Ramada and in need of a serious refurb. The lobby area is nice enough and the front desk staff are overall friendly, but...

The heat system was broken in a large portion of the hotel during the first snowstorm last winter and it still hadn't been repaired months later (there were about a dozen space heaters in the lobby.) That didn't prevent them from putting us in a room in the section above the lobby, without heat? When we conceded that the room wasn't going to get any warmer (this was 30 Jan 10) we asked to be moved...

We've stayed there twice, both times for brief stays, and the last time was the last time. I would rather travel further or take my chances on a higher star Hotwire hotel than stay here again. Factor in the shabby rooms and rudest, most useless bartender I've seen in many, many years and I see no purpose to stay here at all. Whatever the rate, you can do better for your buck.

As far as I'm concerned, this hotel doesn't even belong to Starwood/SPG. I'll try to find my notes and post the details later. No promises.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:01 pm
DH

The hotel was rebranded from Doubletree a couple of years ago and it was OK hotel at the best.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:52 pm

Does the hotel have a club lounge? If so, open on weekends or perhaps breakfast vouchers? Any experience with Platinum upgrades?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mahalo
Does the hotel have a club lounge? If so, open on weekends or perhaps breakfast vouchers? Any experience with Platinum upgrades?
No and no. You may be upgraded, though.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
My advice is to go a little ways down the road to the Sheraton......
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Is anyone able to provide an email address for this hotel? The one offered via the SPG site doesn't appear to generate any responses. I'm chasing 500 points for declining housekeeping during a recent stay.

Thanks in advance ...
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by flyupnorth
Is anyone able to provide an email address for this hotel? The one offered via the SPG site doesn't appear to generate any responses. I'm chasing 500 points for declining housekeeping during a recent stay.

Thanks in advance ...
My apologies for the lack of response. Try this one instead: [email protected]

And, be sure to mention that you tried emailing the hotel directly, but got no response.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thank you William - a 24 minute turn-around is gratefully received!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
compare to sheraton down the road

I'm at the Sheraton down the road. It's OK but it's not a westin. I'm on a club floor. I went up to the club lounge and the door was wide open anyone could go in and there was a crowd of people in there and the food and drink had been picked over. I used the gym today it was fine but not quite the level of the usual westin workout. No headphones, no water cooler, and the TV was on "snow" and I could not find the remote. Only the simplest lifeX machines and only ONE elliptical! No tvs on the machines. For the size of the facility I would expect at least two elliptical trainers. Fortunately I was the only one in there at the time. Place was reasonably clean. My room is a good size but it has a connecting door and I can hear people on the other side it sounds like they are using a hairdryer right now at 10pm. I am across from elevator but fortunately they designed my room with hallway and door leading off to the side so I don't hear things as much. I also think my room has a bit of mustiness covered up by the ubiquitous air freshener spray. I have some allergy problems. Restaurant has a limited menu but at least they can cook a steak and the wine was pretty good. This stay is comped by my host so no biggie and I fly out tomorrow. I like the smell of the sheraton bathroom products better than that Westin white tea stuff. Uck. Why can't they use something better than a white tea smell? OK I grant it's better than the new horrible hyatt products. Those really stink. My 2c on the sheraton down the street compared to regular westin products.

Last edited by businesstraveller2; Nov 15, 2010 at 8:06 pm
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
I will also add that the Westin at Dulles, which is not far from Tyson's corner, is really nice. I have not stayed at the Westin TC but I can vouch that the Westin Dulles is really nice. One of the best Westin's I've stayed at. My only complaint is that it's just a little "too new" so you can really smell the new carpet still. But otherwise very quiet, the restaurant is great, and I really like the place for business travel. I also like the Westin Arlington but the traffic is getting to be a bear between TC and Arlington with all the construction so I'd suggest staying in TC if you have a meeting there rather than commuting from another nearby city, especially one east of TC. Also Arlington is expensive and the Westin is about the most expensive property in Arlington. This week Hilton Arlington is running around $180 and the Westin is up over $300 online.
There is an embassy suites down the road from the Westin TC that has some good reviews on tripadvisor. I was going to try it out since I'm Hilton Gold but then my host comped this room at the Sheraton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.