Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Arlington Gateway - Arlington, Virginia (Washington D.C.) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Arlington Gateway - Arlington, Virginia (Washington D.C.) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We stayed here in April 2002 (2 rooms) - I would say this is your average Westin property. As Plat received nice connecting rooms on a quiet hallway. Free breakfast in restaurant every day with a decent buffet. Kids also ordered pizza at night when the parents went out for dinner. There are several bars within footsteps of the restaurant that offer a variety of food choices. The annoying music was super loud (yes I'm getting old) so not an option for dining but good for takeout if you tire of the hotel restaurant. Nice starbucks attached to lobby and a quick walk to metro.

Street parking was easy on the weekend though be mindful to pay the meters (much cheaper than the garage if you are planning to be out touring all day). At checkout the front desk promised to apply GCs but failed to do so. I then disputed the charge and was credited by Amex. Almost not worth my time to buy discounted GCs given the hassles in redeeming them but that's another topic for another thread.

Overall a most satisfactory stay and would definitely return if convenient. However my preference would be to stay in one of the downtown properties if I don't have a vehicle and don't have plans to be outside the district. A decent value at $200/nt. or with 35k certs.
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:34 pm

Thanks to gleff and Boraxo. I stayed here last week and was delighted. I had stayed here a half dozen times in 20 years, including when District hotels were too pricey or I was working nearby. ( Most of my work is in Embassy area.) Frankly, I like Arlington/Ballston, down to Clarendon, Rosslyn, for restaurants and shopping over almost anywhere in DC, especially after dark. The hotel was fine or better. I had a 13th-floor room that was quiet. The gym was good, though some equipment could have used a little care/repair. Service was pleasant and professional. (Check ins often miss the mark with me, too much or too little information, but this was in the Goldilocks Zone.) Breakfast amenity, buffet, was good, with fine service and a carafe of coffee in the table. Limited options for strict vegetarians, but, as I always note, no one owes me a special breakfast. Yeah, I'll be back.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Does this property still have a concierge/club lounge, and if so, are its current offerings back on par with pre-COVID?
Old Nov 4, 2022, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by ikwia
Does this property still have a concierge/club lounge, and if so, are its current offerings back on par with pre-COVID?
That was long gone years before covid

And even the accommodations that resulted from loss of lounge, like coupon for free evening drink and appetizer, are long gone.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by gleff
That was long gone years before covid

And even the accommodations that resulted from loss of lounge, like coupon for free evening drink and appetizer, are long gone.
Thanks. Seems I'll be best off at one of the Crystal City properties even though this one is much more convenient to my meetings.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Thanks. Seems I'll be best off at one of the Crystal City properties even though this one is much more convenient to my meetings.
Just across the street is the Crystal Gateway and a superior lounge.

David
Old Nov 8, 2022, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Just across the street is the Crystal Gateway and a superior lounge.
I was referring generally to CC properties. But regarding Crystal City vs Crystal Gateway, I think I prefer the Crystal City overall, and may even prefer their lounge. Not having bottled water at the Gateway is annoying (unless that's changed). Yes, I know this is a small detail.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:37 am

I was referring generally to CC properties. But regarding Crystal City vs Crystal Gateway, I think I prefer the Crystal City overall, and may even prefer their lounge. Not having bottled water at the Gateway is annoying (unless that's changed). Yes, I know this is a small detail.
Ah yes, adding probably 30-40 minutes per day in travel time and $40+ in cabs / ubers in return for a few bottles of water; perfect FlyerTalk logic, wouldn't expect anything else.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Ah yes, adding probably 30-40 minutes per day in travel time and $40+ in cabs / ubers in return for a few bottles of water; perfect FlyerTalk logic, wouldn't expect anything else.
Are you really claiming that the travel time and cost difference between the Crystal City Marriott and the Crystal Gateway Marriott is as extreme as you indicate in your post? You are aware that the properties are across the street from one another, right?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:46 am

Are you really claiming that the travel time and cost difference between the Crystal City Marriott and the Crystal Gateway Marriott is as extreme as you indicate in your post? You are aware that the properties are across the street from one another, right?
This thread is about the Westin Arlington Gateway, which is in Ballston. You said "I'll be best off at one of the Crystal City properties even though this one is much more convenient to my meetings". I took "this one" to refer to the subject of this thread.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
This thread is about the Westin Arlington Gateway, which is in Ballston. You said "I'll be best off at one of the Crystal City properties even though this one is much more convenient to my meetings". I took "this one" to refer to the subject of this thread.
Yes, "this one" was referring to the Westin Arlington Gateway. However, I thought my comment about bottled water was clearly referencing the two Crystal City properties and not comparing to the Westin Arlington Gateway, which doesn't even have a lounge anymore.

Last edited by ikwia; Nov 11, 2022 at 7:57 am
Old Nov 12, 2023, 4:13 pm

It appears this property has been renamed to "The Westin Arlington" (dropping the "Gateway" part of the name), but the property code seems to have stayed the same (WASAG)
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I'm not sure why there's so much irrelevant stuff about the Crystal City properties in this thread, but the Westin Arlington in Ballston is still a decent property.

I had a flight get delayed longer than I wanted to wait last night and I saw this place pop up for $170 so I bailed on the flight and took a cab. I was not feeling like staying at any of the DCA properties. I wanted a proper breakfast, not a meager lounge (and I had stayed at the HR DCA the night before, and it was overrun by a conference so I didn't want to go back there, although normally I like the HR).

At check in, the agent (at my request) looked for suites and upgraded me to a one bedroom suite with a proper separate living room with a good desk. She also said "I'm choosing the points as your welcome gift, because I'm also going to give you a voucher for the full breakfast buffet" -- nice touch.

And indeed, the Platinum+ breakfast amenity is one of those "you've been Bonvoyed" menu cards that has 4 options on it and an invitation to upgrade to the buffet for $10. So the Ambassador treatment here was great IMO, for a run-of-the-mill Westin.

Best of all, the AC went down to 60, it blew cold all night, and the room was quiet. Absolutely would stay again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.