Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Arlington Gateway - Arlington, Virginia (Washington D.C.) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Arlington Gateway - Arlington, Virginia (Washington D.C.) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
does anybody stay here recently?

which one is better between this hotel and westin georgetown washingtion dc?

thanks in advance
Old May 4, 2012, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What will you do in the DC area? The locations are very different.
Old May 4, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
is it convenient to get into dc center by subway?

this hotel has a bit cheaper rate in my period of stay (149$/night compare to 189$/night at westin georgetown washington dc) , is it worth to stay at this hotel?

both are category 5, westin georgetown does not offer cash&point, but westin arlington does.

i prefer to use public transportation (subway like in japan) for getting around.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Westin Arlington Gateway is about three blocks from the Ballston Metro station. It's convenient for central DC as well as DCA, although a transfer is required. There are a shopping mall (with restaurants) and a big grocery store with lots of ready-to-go prepared food choices and wine within a few blocks too.
Old May 12, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Is the lounge still closed on weekends....

....and is getting a suite upgrade as hard as FT and TA say it is?
Any recent experiences greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
I stayed here a few times this year on ATL-IAD/DCA trips, so I thought I'd add some tips I picked up:

1. If you arrive at IAD and take SuperShuttle, you'll be dropped off first (~ 25 min) because of this Westin's location directly off I-66 (via 267). And you'll be the last one picked up on the way back to IAD for the same reason. Seems insignificant until you realize DCA requires a subway transfer at Rosslyn; 5A to/from Dulles requires a subway trip (Ballston-Rosslyn-DCA); and DCA trips in a cab cost ~$18...and it has to be from a VA-licensed cab, which means you may be waiting a while.

2. Need to stay on a high floor or you'll hear North Glebe Road / Fairfax Drive traffic and continuous VA construction. The buildings across the street are now finished, but road construction in the area is a given.

3. The mall next door is a joke. That should not be your selling point for staying. OTOH, the Washington Capitals regularly practice in the rink on top of the mall, if that's your thing.

4. The hotel is great about SPG Birthyear Rate ("PAYAGE") with the 2nd and 3rd night being the last 2 digits of your birthyear (with no +$100/night surcharge a la NYC). I've had this come out to be a 50% discount a few times.

5. Do not stay here in mid-February. There's a ice hockey tourney, and the teams stay here, trash the place, and ensure no biz traveler gets any sleep. The hotel now hires 3x security, but they are still out-manned.

6. Staff is, for some reason, annoyingly stingy about honoring the "Go Green" promo (declining maid service). Ensure they include it in your tally before check-out or they may feet-drag after the fact.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:31 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I spent one night here recently, so thought I'd share some comments.

- Arrived just after 3pm check-in time. SPG app showed suites for sale, was told no by the front desk. The two clerks did spend a couple of minutes looking and pointing at the screen, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.
- The club room I was assigned had a do not disturb sign on the door, and a housekeeping cart in front. I went back down and asked for a new room; the only other options were next to the elevator or across from the club lounge, so decided to wait. It took a full hour for my room to be ready.
- The room itself was fine, outfitted like every other Westin that was built/redone 2-4 years ago. I discovered at 12:30am when I came back to my room that the batteries in the tv remote were dead, I didn't bother calling down, and just used the buttons on the tv to control things (old school!)
- The hotel delivered an amenity consisting of 3 bottles of beer (Sam Adams, Flying Dog, Miller Lite) and some snack mix. I originally thought it was a make-up for having to wait, but it was a generic letter (personalized with Mr. Wizzy) from the GM welcoming me. There were 2-3 other buckets of beer on the cart. Other Plat colleagues at the hotel did not receive this amenity, so it may have been based on either my LTP or 100 night status.
- Cabs were plentiful during the day, but when we returned to the hotel around 10pm, people immediately snagged our cab
- The bar was busy on the Wed night I was there, but colleagues indicated that it had been pretty dead the prior two nights.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Is the Plat Amenity Continental Bkfast any good or just typical bare bones offerings? Anyone know if you can pay a nominal fee to upgrade the Plat Amenity Cont'l bkfast to a hot bkfast buffet?

Reviews here seem mediocre... not amazing, not horrible... still contemplating if I should stay here this weekend... anymore updates?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:29 pm

The plat breakfast here is not bad. Overall the food isn't as great as other Westins I have stayed in, but it is priced accordingly, so that's not a knock. For instance, pancakes are only $10 if you are paying, but they weren't special and the syrup tasted like wal-mart brand.

They don't have a continental breakfast, so I ordered off the menu with orange juice, they staff even suggested that I add a side of bacon for free, so they were friendly about my voucher. I didn't notice buffet as an option.

A rather dated property, usually Westin's have something special like a great pool or view, I guess this one is location. Club lounge is really small for the size of the hotel, not inspired options either.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:20 pm

I like the place but I admit that their indoor pool is disappointing in that it's not especially attractive.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I like the place but I admit that their indoor pool is disappointing in that it's not especially attractive.
And small.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:43 pm

Hi all, any recent reviews? Seems like a decent place for a DC leisure visit, but the last comment was in 2013...
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've stayed there 5+ times over the last 6 months. The hotel is fine. Not what it was 5(?) years ago, but a decent Westin in a good location. Lots of restaurants in the area, and a block or two walk over to the Ballston metro stop.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by wizzy
I've stayed there 5+ times over the last 6 months. The hotel is fine. Not what it was 5(?) years ago, but a decent Westin in a good location. Lots of restaurants in the area, and a block or two walk over to the Ballston metro stop.
TY!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Westin DC City Center is not bad, but very slow internet

Club floor, but no Lounge,

Recent stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.