Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by uwbrother
I read most (but not all) of the posts in this very long thread and am unclear on this. If I have the Canadian SPG Amex card and I reach gold by spending $30,000, do I need to stay 25 nights to get to Platinum or still 50 nights?
You still need 50 nights to reach Plat (minus any credit towards status from the CC).
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thanks, Beltway, for providing that link.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan *E, Marriott Elite Silver
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I just called to cancel mine. The annual fee did it. Others have quite attractive benefits without the fee.
Man you guys are spoiled in the US. First year's free and second year's $65. Two years for $65. In Canada we'd pay $240 for two years for WORSE benefits .
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:53 pm

Went online to add an authorized user to my mom's SPG business card, and the card image on the application page featured something interesting:

Could it be that Amex will be rolling out chip-and-pin cards? Haven't seen or heard anything about this before.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by barelyelite
Could it be that Amex will be rolling out chip-and-pin cards? Haven't seen or heard anything about this before.
If you search around in the Amex forum, you can see that they have been doing it for a while now in Europe. I got one about 9 months ago on my AF/KL Amex.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by barelyelite
Went online to add an authorized user to my mom's SPG business card, and the card image on the application page featured something interesting:

I've had a card that looks exactly like the one in that picture since early this year.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by uwbrother
Man you guys are spoiled in the US. First year's free and second year's $65. Two years for $65. In Canada we'd pay $240 for two years for WORSE benefits .

Agreed.

I'm still waiting / hoping to see free first year promo. Just kidding.

I think AMEX is running the 20k promo right now. It's not as good as US but better than the regular 10k offer.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I've had a card that looks exactly like the one in that picture since early this year.
Has anybody in US seen this card with chip and pin?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'll PM you now . . .
Do you have an active referral you can send me? You can get the bonus referral.

Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pinky
Do you have an active referral you can send me? You can get the bonus referral.

Thanks.
Check your PM . . .
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Missing referral bonus

I have referred 4 friends between July and October. In fact 2 in July and 2 in October.

2 of them received instant approvals. My bonus posted automatically a few days later. One in July, one in October.

2 of them received delayed approvals. The bonus never posted. For the one in July, I sent SM to inquire where was the referral bonus and was told to submit the Applicant's name, city of address and the last 5 digits of the card. After I submitted the info, the bonus was manually posted as "Courtesy Adjustment" while the automatically posted is "Loyalty".

The one delayed approval in October again does not generate the referral bonus. The applicant applied on Oct 29, and got approval email on Nov 7 or 8. I went on a long trip in November and just got around to request the missing referral bonus. Based on the experience in July I submitted the same type of info for this friend's application.

However, the Indian team came back to say I have received 15000 points while I only have had 2 referrals. They completely missed the one that required manual posting.

I replied with a full list of 4 applicants information and the dates I received the 3 separate bonuses, with the 4th one still missing.

Now they said they had to open a dispute.

I have read about stories that people did not receive their referral bonuses and had to go round and round with AMEX on this. Some of them were eventually be cheated out of their earned bonuses because they finally gave up.

My take is, AMEX either has a programming flaw or deliberately designs its program in such a way that, only instant approvals generate the referral bonus automatically. The deferred approvals unless the referers keep track of such, and press on it, AMEX would never post the referral bonus because the system would never generate one - as evidenced by the one I eventually received, was not posted with the correct description, but a "Courtesy Adjustment".

This is such a sleazy way to cheat the customers.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Happy
This is such a sleazy way to cheat the customers.
Never attribute to malice what can easily be explained by incompetence.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We're now Gold!

We passed the $30,000 spend earlier this month, but our account didn't close until Dec. 19. It was even easier than Beltway described...today, the 21st, the spg account said "Gold Preferred Member"...just like that. No waiting, no asking to have it posted manually.

I know it's not a big deal, but it's better than not!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We passed the $30,000 spend earlier this month, but our account didn't close until Dec. 19. It was even easier than Beltway described...today, the 21st, the spg account said "Gold Preferred Member"...just like that. No waiting, no asking to have it posted manually.

I know it's not a big deal, but it's better than not!
Certainly preferable to a poke in the <sensitive bodily orifice> with a pointy stick. Congrats; may you wear it in good health.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:48 pm

If one has had the personal card for several years and now signs up for the business card, will the bonus be awarded for the business card?

(I know that probably has been answered somewhere, but I have searched and not been able to find it, so productive responses only please.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.