Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RDB68
I've seen this offer a lot recently and the $15k in six months, while doable is on the edge for my spending habits.

Today I received an offer in the snail mail for 15k points after $1000 spent in three months. This is an easy goal to reach. What do you think? Go for the easy 15k or gamble with a total of 25k?
There's no initial sign up bonus with that snail mail offer?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
There's no initial sign up bonus with that snail mail offer?
Nope. None that I can see.

I don't know if that means a lot of folks are applying and getting the 25,000 points and AMEX wants to reduce the number of points given or if relativly few people are getting the max award and AMEX wants to encourage applicants.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm. Maybe. But there seems to be at least one other option floating around for more points (30K) but targeted:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-targeted.html
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
Hmm. Maybe. But there seems to be at least one other option floating around for more points (30K) but targeted:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-targeted.html
That is interesting. I don't have the offer materials with me right now, but I do recall seeing a piece of the literature that said 30,000 points. When I tried to trace that 30,000 in the T&C's I couldn't. I will have to call and ask about that. I would jump all over that 30,000 point offer in your link above. $4,500 in three months is definitely doable.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:22 pm

I just apped and received only $1,500 from Amex SPG card. I was shocked, had to call again to confirmed the low CL. I have a few other CCs with $8k CL. I guess they don't want me to obtain the $15k in 6 months to get my points. I would have to spend $3k per month to surpass the $15k in 6months to get my points. Think Amex is low-balling new applicants since they are waiving 1st yr AF of $65? I would have to pay the card 3 times before each statement cut to get my points!!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tntexan72
I just apped and received only $1,500 from Amex SPG card. I was shocked, had to call again to confirmed the low CL. I have a few other CCs with $8k CL. I guess they don't want me to obtain the $15k in 6 months to get my points. I would have to spend $3k per month to surpass the $15k in 6months to get my points. Think Amex is low-balling new applicants since they are waiving 1st yr AF of $65? I would have to pay the card 3 times before each statement cut to get my points!!
Same thing happened to me once with Amex. I just send $5K in, charged that down, and re-filled.

These companies are all getting more and more conservative. Eventually, after many calls and many months, Amex let me cut a $75K card down to $50K and move that $25K of credit over to my SPG Amex.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Oh man I hear ya! I mean the math didn't add up, when i first got mine, to reach $30K in spending... or $15K... whatever it was. The only way was to spend / pay it down many more times than once per month. Eventually I did that, and eventually they raised my credit limit, but it was really annoying.

I have an old Amex Blue Cash card with $20K limit on it, and I tried to move it over, and they told me that while that used to be allowed, due to new credit card laws (that was like 18 months ago), it's against their policy now.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:30 pm

Same thing happened to me once with Amex. I just send $5K in, charged that down, and re-filled.

These companies are all getting more and more conservative. Eventually, after many calls and many months, Amex let me cut a $75K card down to $50K and move that $25K of credit over to my SPG Amex.
One day when I get a CC with $50K CL, I will be able to do that. Until than, I would have to bite the bullet, lol. I'll ask for a CLI after 6 months. I am going to use this card to pay for everything to get my 15k points !!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
I have an old Amex Blue Cash card with $20K limit on it, and I tried to move it over, and they told me that while that used to be allowed, due to new credit card laws (that was like 18 months ago), it's against their policy now.
It's funny. They used that line with me also. Then, once I worked my way up the food chain, the woman said moving a CL was no problem - just against policy for first-line phone people.

I can't imagine a federal regulation against re-allocating CLs. What purpose would that serve?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:38 am

When I logged in to check my SPG Amex account, a promo for 10k reward points for referrals was listed at the bottom. The link is 404'd for now, but the teaser stated it expires July 25th, 2011.

This doubles the referral bonus for the next 7 weeks or so.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
I found the 10k offer too but also get a 404.

Last edited by vrundmc; Jun 9, 2011 at 8:25 pm Reason: Found 10k offer
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10K Referral Link

I got an email today with the 10K referral link - could be amazing!

https://www201.americanexpress.com/c...enCampId=20044

If you need a card, PLEASE let me or someone here refer you - you still get the same 25K offer as you otherwise would.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:18 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
With all the talk of referral offers, it seems like a good time to remind potential card members that we not only have the standard bonus offers, but we give you an extra $20 - $50 in cash (via an Amazon GC) although we don't get any referral SPG points . No need to PM me. Just apply via the link below and it's automatic. I know I don't specifically mention this much but it seems appropriate in a big thread on referrals
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:19 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I got an email today with the 10K referral link - could be amazing!

https://www201.americanexpress.com/c...enCampId=20044

If you need a card, PLEASE let me or someone here refer you - you still get the same 25K offer as you otherwise would.
Thanks. My wife was another lucky recipient of this email. A slightly shorter url works just as well: https://www201.americanexpress.com/c...andingPage.jsp

You definitely have priority in this case. However, if someone has developed a strong dislike for you, they are welcome to pm me.

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 16, 2011 at 2:26 am
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by aktchi
Thanks. My wife was another lucky recipient of this email. A slightly shorter url works just as well: https://www201.americanexpress.com/c...andingPage.jsp

You definitely have priority in this case. However, if someone has developed a strong dislike for you, they are welcome to pm me.
I'd be more than happy to refer someone for either a personal or biz card!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.