Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by adamrudd
Hey all. Been reading for a while, but it seems my specific question hasn't been answered. I have a bit of an idea, but I thought I'd bounce it off the experts here.

I'm switching to AMEX either way (my credit is great), but I'm unsure if I should do SPG or HHonors. My natural tendency would be towards SPG (which is why I posted this here) since I've accidentally stayed in more Westins than Hiltons (I am only 28) and have felt they're in-line with what I'm looking for style/feel wise I guess. I assume that Hilton has as many nice places to stay though...

FYI: I stay in hotels purely for pleasure, no business travel, and usually in large cities and vacation areas, so I'm not as concerned about rural hotel availability (where Hilton is superior to SPG). My wife and I put every dollar we can on our CC and pay it off every month, thus the interest in these two cards since they let us reach higher tiers w/o tons of travel. In other words, my points will pretty much ONLY come from purchase points, not from stays/nights. Yes, I understand SPG and HHonors points are apples vs. oranges, this is more of a program/hotel/quality question for the respective programs and tiers. So, my question is this:
i have the same status as you with each property, and would rank them this way:

SPG Plat > HH Diamond > HH Gold > SPG Gold

I have both credit cards and only use my HH Surpass AMEX for gas, grocery, pharm, and hilton stays. Most everything else goes to SPG AMEX or C1 Venture Visa.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:45 pm

Referer bonus for spg business amex card

Does anyone know of an active link for the starwood 10k business referral for the referer. The one that I went to seems to be down.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:47 pm

here is the link i went to that did not work

https://www201.americanexpress.com/s...44&origin=OPEN
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know of 5K links, but no 10K link.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I know of 5K links, but no 10K link.
Can you please post that link or pm it to me?
thanks
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ecomajor
Can you please post that link or pm it to me?
thanks
Here you go:

https://www201.americanexpress.com/c...enCampId=20046
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:53 pm

tried that link but its not working after I click on the link for the business referral.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ecomajor
tried that link but its not working after I click on the link for the business referral.
I did have a problem with the biz referrals a while ago, and I contact Amex, who told me to just shoot them a message after the person got the card, and they would deal with it manually.

But that link is working for me now. Are you logging in?

Also, do you hold a biz card?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I got a targeted email offering 10k on first spend, then 15k more pts after $15k spend in 6 months. Is a good offer? Or better ones come along often?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
I got a targeted email offering 10k on first spend, then 15k more pts after $15k spend in 6 months. Is a good offer? Or better ones come along often?
That's the best that's been around for about a year.

If you let me refer you, you'll get the same offer, but I'll get referral credit also. Hint.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
That's the best that's been around for about a year.

If you let me refer you, you'll get the same offer, but I'll get referral credit also. Hint.
you've got PM...
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:47 pm

Advancing Points---

I read in the Amex forum that Amex will sometimes "advance" Mileage Rewards Points to be issued based on new card spend for good customers.

Does anyone know if they will advance any of the 15,000 additional SPG points for $15,000 spend? [Planning a major redemption]

Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR-6785
I read in the Amex forum that Amex will sometimes "advance" Mileage Rewards Points to be issued based on new card spend for good customers.

Does anyone know if they will advance any of the 15,000 additional SPG points for $15,000 spend? [Planning a major redemption]

Thanks
Unfortunately, I think the advance only applies to Membership Rewards. I hope I'm wrong, but I've never seen an SPG advance.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Unfortunately, I think the advance only applies to Membership Rewards. I hope I'm wrong, but I've never seen an SPG advance.
Yes, I believe this is correct. I, too, have never seen an SPG pt advance!
The difference b/w MR -- is that it is a proprietary AmEx product, whereas SPG is a completely separate business entity from AmEx!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
I've seen this offer a lot recently and the $15k in six months, while doable is on the edge for my spending habits.

Today I received an offer in the snail mail for 15k points after $1000 spent in three months. This is an easy goal to reach. What do you think? Go for the easy 15k or gamble with a total of 25k?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.