Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott: Platinum/LT Silver, AS: MVP
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
It proves it's not a mistake because the emails specifically states: 'As a Card Member, you can look forward to receiving this credit for 4 stays and 10 nights annually.' So presumably this is per card.
The picture in this email depicts both the personal and business cards. I suspect that email is specifically sent to holders of both cards. (I got the same email.)
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:16 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ejg930
The picture in this email depicts both the personal and business cards. I suspect that email is specifically sent to holders of both cards. (I got the same email.)

I did too and I agree because the terms say:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

15 Night 2 Stay Credit Upon opening your Card Account and, by February 15th of each subsequent calendar year it is open, you will receive from Starwood credit for 2 stays and 5 nights towards your Starwood Preferred Guest® elite status. To receive this benefit, your Card Account must be linked to an SPG Member account in your name. This benefit is limited to one annual credit per Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card Account ("Starwood Consumer Card Account"), and one annual credit per Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card Account ("Starwood Business Card Account"). You will not receive additional 2 stay or 5 night elite status credits if you have multiple Starwood Consumer Card Accounts or additional Cards, and you will not receive additional 2 stay or 5 night elite status credits if you have multiple Starwood Business Card Accounts or supplemental Cards. However, if you have both a Starwood Consumer Card Account and a Starwood Business Card Account, you can receive a maximum credit of 4 stays and 10 nights. Credits and status are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the SPG program.

That said, I agree that the verbiage combined with (what I assume is) the double posting error makes this the most confusing email I ever received from Starwood.

This could create a logistical nightmare if people receive 50 night benefits they are not entitled to. I assume though that this will be corrected sooner rather than later.

Last edited by damon88; Jan 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I got 25 nights, 10 stay credit. I have both cards. Figure that one out.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: UR
Uhh, I have 10s25n. I have both cards. I haven't stayed with Starwood yet this year.
So you received your benefits three time on one card and twice on the other? Did you spend a boatload on the AMEX cards?

I received 8s20n but my wife ony received 4s10n. However, I did 27 SPG nights last year and put 70K on the SPG Biz CC.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
It proves it's not a mistake because the emails specifically states: 'As a Card Member, you can look forward to receiving this credit for 4 stays and 10 nights annually.' So presumably this is per card.
Do you have both personal and business? If so 4 stays and 10 nights are to be expected.

The mistake is when it comes again. For example I got the same email last year and 4 stays and 10 nights.. Not 8 stays and 20 nights.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:17 pm

Uhh, I have 10s25n. I have both cards. I haven't stayed with Starwood yet this year.
Ditto. And the cards stayed in a drawer, mostly. And that means you also go the "Welcome to Gold!" email as well? I did.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
With all of this attention I won't be surprised to find the stays and nights adjusted to where they should be.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I find it hilarious that people continue to post here and give spg the attention to possibly remove these freebies. Why can't you just stay quiet and let it be?
I'm only here because it made mainstream blogs. No point in keeping quiet about it anymore. I've been the recipient of many unintended gifts over the years, some got lots of attention and others did not.
damon88 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Occam's Razor folks!

10 nights out of 50 is 20% of nights needed for Plat.

For Marriott, 15 nights from their card out of 75 is 20% of the nights needed for Plat.

This is just harmonization for 2019.
makin'miles and osotoc like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum/LT Silver, AS: MVP
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Ditto. And the cards stayed in a drawer, mostly. And that means you also go the "Welcome to Gold!" email as well? I did.
Haven't yet gotten the gold welcome email.

Originally Posted by cloudskipper
So you received your benefits three time on one card and twice on the other? Did you spend a boatload on the AMEX cards?
​​​​​​​ I spent probably 50K on my personal card, just got the biz card last month.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Perhaps, but if that were the case American Express should be touting it as an enhanced benefit, rather than making it appear to be the result of a duplicated posting run.
damon88 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Occam's Razor folks!

10 nights out of 50 is 20% of nights needed for Plat.

For Marriott, 15 nights from their card out of 75 is 20% of the nights needed for Plat.

I think that's what's going on as well... likely points towards a 2019 harmonized program.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
So what's the mistake? Giving some people 10 stays and 25 nights? Or giving 4 and 10 twice?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by chenalex
So what's the mistake? Giving some people 10 stays and 25 nights? Or giving 4 and 10 twice?
tpg reports it’s a mistake. they will claw it back.
he spoke to a marriott spokesperson. on mobile, can’t link.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:50 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BuBu4

tpg reports it’s a mistake. they will claw it back.
he spoke to a marriott spokesperson. on mobile, can’t link.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.