Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by mcgahat
In a conversation that I had with a guy in the bar who had stayed at the SGS something like 50 times over the years.....

He said SGS upgrades you on a specific stay number benchmarks. First stay to this suite and then 10th stay to a an even nicer suite etc etc. If you notice on the slip with your room rate at the SGS there is a notation of your stay count at that property.

I find that interesting as I have stayed at the SGS three times also. First stay, upgrade to a suite but second and third stays no upgrade. I do agree the normal rooms are fine as they are larger than standard rooms at the WGS.
They do upgrade you to a suite on every 10th stay, but it wasn't a nicer suite when I did it. I'm at 29 so we'll see if I get a better suite next time.

I stayed at the SGS 8 times last year. I was upgraded to a suite on 7 of my stays. The only time I wasn't was when I was using points.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:55 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
"I stayed at the WGS on Thursday night (occupancy ~60%) and when I checked in on the 24th floor I was given a code for internet in my room. I'm not sure if that was a new facet of the corporate rate (which has been reduced) or a new benefit for Plats. Maybe they just got tired of seeing me in the lounge so often outside of breakfast/cocktail times using the Internet."

Yosithezet,

Is your new corporate rate for an executive floor room, or were you given lounge access solely bc you are a plat? If they offered you free pressing at the WGS, then I think you were on an exec. floor rate. Otherwise, perhaps this is a way to compete with SGS's benefits.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:55 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by kevino
Is your new corporate rate for an executive floor room, or were you given lounge access solely bc you are a plat? If they offered you free pressing at the WGS, then I think you were on an exec. floor rate. Otherwise, perhaps this is a way to compete with SGS's benefits.

I was upgraded to the Executive floor in lieu of a suite. No way to know if they welcome me to the lounge because of the status or the floor. I've noticed once something printed about pressing but they've never mentioned it and I've never availed myself of it at WGS. I need to ask about it next time I check in.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
They do upgrade you to a suite on every 10th stay, but it wasn't a nicer suite when I did it. I'm at 29 so we'll see if I get a better suite next time.

I stayed at the SGS 8 times last year. I was upgraded to a suite on 7 of my stays. The only time I wasn't was when I was using points.
Good to hear, especially your upgrade percentage.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:23 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
at the wgs platinums do get access to the lounge and a free breakfast don't they?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:26 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by abk
at the wgs platinums do get access to the lounge and a free breakfast don't they?
Access to the lounge for sure and breakfast is in the lounge. You can not take it in the restaurant unless your rate includes breakfast. People who purchase executive floor rooms do however have the choice.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:44 am

Does the WGS still offer free wireless in their lobby? It's been a couple years since my last stay there.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by zinger1457
Does the WGS still offer free wireless in their lobby? It's been a couple years since my last stay there.
Yes but in lots of 2 hours. You need to get a login from the business center.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Single night stay, arriving late (into BKK ~ 10:40pm), back out of the airport on a 1:40pm flight next day. On the way to CEI w/ mrs. gleff.

Currently torn between the ROS and the SGS. SGS is the better hotel, of course. And I enjoy waking up to complimentary coffee in-room, followed by a nice breakfast and not to mention complimentary internet. Rate ~ 6000 baht, and cat 4 cash + points available.

I haven't stayed at the ROS. It's cheap (3000 baht currently on a 45-day advance purchase rate). Apparently good upgrades and reports of nice lounge. Am concerned by reports that the rooms are pretty rundown, gross even, including suites. I do fancy having breakfast down by the river, is this an option in lieu of lounge breakfast by chance? Given my late arrival I'd be unconcerned about traffic getting to the hotel. And fortunately I'm not hitting a peak period on my return either, I'd think.

Worth giving the ROS a go?
Old Jan 25, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by gleff
Single night stay, arriving late (into BKK ~ 10:40pm), back out of the airport on a 1:40pm flight next day. On the way to CEI w/ mrs. gleff.

Currently torn between the ROS and the SGS. SGS is the better hotel, of course. And I enjoy waking up to complimentary coffee in-room, followed by a nice breakfast and not to mention complimentary internet. Rate ~ 6000 baht, and cat 4 cash + points available.

I haven't stayed at the ROS. It's cheap (3000 baht currently on a 45-day advance purchase rate). Apparently good upgrades and reports of nice lounge. Am concerned by reports that the rooms are pretty rundown, gross even, including suites. I do fancy having breakfast down by the river, is this an option in lieu of lounge breakfast by chance? Given my late arrival I'd be unconcerned about traffic getting to the hotel. And fortunately I'm not hitting a peak period on my return either, I'd think.

Given the fact you'll only be there 10-11hrs.
I'd book the 45days adv. promo rate at the ROS.

Traffic shouldn't be an issue late or mid-day.

Yes the SGS is a better hotel,but for your short stay enjoy the river view breakfast and save the cash (3000bht+=$100) and make the coffee yourself.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:21 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by gleff

the difference is night and day. there is a reason the sgs is in the luxury collection. you can have breakfast by the pool at the sgs or at the one of the best buffets you will ever see (including virginia ham). the sgs is actually also closer to the new airport than the ros.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I made the mistake of doing a 2 night stay at the ROS last Nov.
Bit at a low SPG50 rate and the need to take my friend on a longtail boat tour.

I'm a Grande Club member at the SGS and have done many many stays. Never disappointed even when my golf bag doesn't get a room to itself.

The buffet riverside at the ROS was included in the Plat benefits, but the suite in the old wing was a dog with fleas compared to the SGS standard room.

The ROS breakfast buffet was a zoo of tourists as opposed to business types at the SGS.

Why don't you take your breakfast at Sala poolside at the SGS. Small buffet but eggs etc, prepared to order are included are avail and included in the Plat benes IIRC.

Cheers,

Scho
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by schoflyer
I made the mistake of doing a 2 night stay at the ROS last Nov.
Bit at a low SPG50 rate and the need to take my friend on a longtail boat tour.

I'm a Grande Club member at the SGS and have done many many stays. Never disappointed even when my golf bag doesn't get a room to itself.

The buffet riverside at the ROS was included in the Plat benefits, but the suite in the old wing was a dog with fleas compared to the SGS standard room.

The ROS breakfast buffet was a zoo of tourists as opposed to business types at the SGS.

Why don't you take your breakfast at Sala poolside at the SGS. Small buffet but eggs etc, prepared to order are included are avail and included in the Plat benes IIRC.

Cheers,

Scho
The SGS is by far a better property. The breakfast at the Sala by the pool is great! While a limited menu, compared to the buffet inside, the atmosphere is great! Looking forward to my next stay.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by schoflyer
I'm a Grande Club member at the SGS and have done many many stays.

Care to elaborate?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plt, Marriott Gold
SPG in Bangkok?

I'm stopping by Bangkok for anight in July and wanted to know which SPG property is recommended. I haven't been to Bangkok yet and have just 1 day there, so I'd like to be closest to whatever I am supposed to see when I am there!

Does anyone know which one I should choose?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 31, 2009 at 8:12 am Reason: moved into master thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.