FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/711016-bangkok-spg-hotel-should-i-choose-master-thread.html)

CIT85 Jul 14, 2009 5:40 am

Originally Posted by RichardKopf (Post 12062789)
If you have booked for 1 person, it's 3 pieces of standard (not express)laundry or pressing. If you book for 2 people in the room, the benefit is 3 pieces each. I have confirmed this and taken advantage but to make sure, I usually send 3 pieces on one day and 3 on the next and ALWAYS write "3 pieces complimentary" on the laundry request form.

Thanks, so it's 3 pieces per person registered. That helps me plan the rest of my trip.

kevino Jul 14, 2009 10:53 am

It's laundry or pressing, but if you go for the laundry, you have a good chance that it will be pressed too. :)

cohighcountry1k Jul 17, 2009 10:10 am

How is the ROS post renovations? Last time I stayed here (2 years ago), the suites were very nice, but the regular rooms were very dated and in need of updating. I love the riverside location, which will be great for my December holidays trip with family, but if the rooms are still old and tired, I'm going with the new LM or the SGS.

CIT85 Jul 20, 2009 8:53 am

SGS

Originally Posted by RichardKopf (Post 12024015)
I can't think of a reason to stay at the WGS over the SGS

I agree completely. I'm at the SGS right now for a 5 night award stay. I went over to the Westin and checked out the Lobby and Lounge. The SGS is significantly nicer than the Westin, I think more than the 1 category difference.

We checked in around midnight. We were already upgraded to a 2-room suite. I've read previous comments about the 2 rooms combined to form a suite and not a purposely designed suite. However, with a 13 year old daughter with us, this was perfect since my daughter got to have her own full bath.

I requested a rollaway bed for my daughter. The FD lady who accompanied us to the room said that normally there is a 1500 Baht per day charge for rollaway bed (I had confirmed this months ago). But she saw that my daughter had just turned 13 a few months ago (from her passport), so she called her manager and asked to wave the rollaway bed charge (actually the extra charge kicks in for 3rd person 13 and over, whether or not you need a rollaway bed). The normal 3rd person charge was not even mentioned during check in, which meant that they were not going to charge me for 3rd person originally, and now not the rollaway bed either. I ended up only having to pay for my daughter's breakfast each morning at 670 Baht plus 17% tax and service fee and occasional drinks in the Library. I also felt more inclined to dine at the hotel restaurants.

I asked about the elephant amenity after reading all about it here, and apparently it's usually for kids, but the butler brought a white elepant for my daughter.

All of the restaurants are now offering 30% discount for lunch (only the Orchid Cafe is open for lunch) and dinner.

The SGS rounded out our vacation trip through Beijing, Shanghai and Bangkok where we were upgraded to 2-room suites in each of the hotels, St. Regis Beijing, LRM Shanghai and SGS. My family now really appreciate the benefits of my SPG Platinum status. My wife even said it's worth doing mattress runs to maintain status (although I should not have to for SPG, and I'm not that interested in maintaining Hilton Diamond).

alanslegal Aug 7, 2009 9:24 am

Which SPG property has the best pool area? I really like the SGS's but how does the new LM compare?

Or even taking it one step further, how are SPG pools compared to the Millenium Hilton?

jjbc Aug 7, 2009 11:23 am

No comparison between SGS pool and new LM pool, SGS wins

I think the LM hotel is exceptional. But the pool area is pretty plain compared to the SGS. The pool is rectangular and large enough for laps, but that is about it. There are no whirlpools, etc. except at one end where there are jets at the end of the pool. The area around the pool has a few covered cabana type areas, with loungers around. As well as a small bar. When I was there in June, the only people using the pool was myself and my daughter.

lostone Aug 7, 2009 1:26 pm

Yes, the SGS pool is great. Anyone else notice that it appears that the SGS pool was used as a location in the film Bangkok Dangerous? Where the Nicolas Cage character performs one of his kills?

lostone Aug 7, 2009 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 11052614)
Twice in the past 2 months I've had consecutive stays and the bellboys are more than happy to walk across the street with you carrying your luggage. On the way from the WGS to SGS it is even more appreciated since you have to climb the stairs to get to the walkway across the street.

I stayed at the SGS for a week, then moved to the nearby Sofitel Asoke Residence for a month. I was going to walk the 4 blocks up Soi 19 with my luggage, but the SGS bellboys would not let me. They pushed the luggage trolley all the way to the Sofitel.

schley Aug 7, 2009 7:30 pm

At the PA now for the 2 for 1 promo with free breakfast. About ready to go down and see how much damage I can do at the breakfast buffet. I hope they realize I will be draining as much $ out of that offering as possible. I feel like I'm almost stealing when I eat huge breakfasts that are complimentary. Compared to what room service would have charged me getting the most out of the free breakfast is a priority for me. I probably save $20-25 in orange juice charges at the buffet alone. Although I certainly wouldn't assign that value ordinarily outside of what the room service charge value would be.

Will be going to the WGS for 2 different 1 night stays in the next week, in between a jaunt to the Philippines.

Will report back WGS stay when completed.

As for now time to attack the buffet which will take me all the way through the day until dinner probably.

mcgahat Aug 7, 2009 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by lostone (Post 12190907)
I stayed at the SGS for a week, then moved to the nearby Sofitel Asoke Residence for a month. I was going to walk the 4 blocks up Soi 19 with my luggage, but the SGS bellboys would not let me. They pushed the luggage trolley all the way to the Sofitel.

Yep, the SGS and WGS guys are always good about taking my bags back and forth for me. That is a long way really for that trolley from the SGS, especially since you have to cross Sukhumvit. I always give them a decent tip as I appreciate the effort. Also, I hope you enjoy the Sofitel Asoke more than I did......

holtju2 Aug 8, 2009 7:57 am

The GM at the SGS is really running the hotel very well.

Last week I booked the hotel just three hours before arrival the suite was ready and my bags waiting there when I arrived. When in Asia I normally store my bigger bags at this hotel and just travel with carry on.

Also the buttler had bought couple of extra pillows to the living room. At check in I was asked if I want the usual ice and hot tea brought immediately. They also always address me by my last name both at the front desk and bell boys.

Also Helsingin Sanomat and NY Times were both printed for me.

The 8AM flight was bit rough because I was at the BarSu until 2AM......

alanslegal Aug 8, 2009 8:16 am

Thanks for the replies guys; it is still so difficult to decide which Bangkok SPG property should I choose for an upcoming 4 night leisure stay :confused:

I've stayed at the SGS previously and thought their pool area was sa'weeet and happy hour drinks by the poolside was sa'weeeeter, but the PLT upgraded two room suite was very plain and lacked soul.

So now, I'm stuck and need some more input. How does the Plaza Athenee pool compare the SGS's? I've seen photos on Tripadvisor the pool does look very comparable! Also how does the PA upgrade, is a likely upgrade a Jnr suite or does a PLT can/often get into larger deluxe suites? Also happy hour, must be taken in the lounge? I assume I can't order drinks by the PA pool?

I like the new LM BKK and the Westin for contemporary decor but a rectangle pool? ewwwwwww no thanks.

itsaboutthejourney Aug 8, 2009 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal (Post 12193882)

I like the new LM BKK and the Westin for contemporary decor but a rectangle pool? ewwwwwww no thanks.

It's not bad, in fact I really liked the small/quiet atmosphere in the heart of Patpong. Here are pictures:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...ngkok-pool.jpg

They gave me a cold towel, face spray and menu to order drinks:

Kalboz Aug 9, 2009 1:18 am

Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel

schley Aug 9, 2009 1:59 am

Woah something freaky just occured to me when I checked in at the Westin Grande Sukhumvit. They put me in room 2216.

I just checked out of the Plaza Athenee and what room did I check out of? 2216!

I had like deja vu, and thought to myself, no I just stayed in that room is that my old key or something?

Freaky and hotels with hundreds of different rooms I think the chances of this were like winning the lottery.

I don't even have any status with SPG yet (although I'll have gold in 2 more days with 2 more stays).