FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/711016-bangkok-spg-hotel-should-i-choose-master-thread.html)

chunkd Apr 8, 2009 8:18 am

Last month I stayed at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Loved the hotel. Only issue is the traffic getting in and out there. Good restaurants, good bar close to a pile of stuff.

Last summer I stayed at the Dusit Thani, an oldie but goodie. Great location. I am going back in July and will likely do the Sheraton Grande again thought.

brahms77 Apr 8, 2009 12:14 pm

Back at SGS again for the seventh time... despite having confirmed upgraded at LM BKK (I will probably try this hotel in May when I return), I canceled LM reservation and came to SGS because I knew SGS will accommodate my very late check-out request (11PM or mid-night) with non-suite stay. Arrived at the hotel very late (1AM) and asked for very late check-out the same day (well, technically, the following day ... :D) and said I don't need a suite. Very late check-out granted - "you can check out any time you want" ^

I really like SGS for this reason - if you are not upgraded to a suite, you would still get the grande deluxe benefit and can check-out any time of the day you want on your departure day. Saves me for having to pay the day-rate at other hotels.

yosithezet Apr 18, 2009 12:07 am

Originally Posted by mcgahat (Post 11543543)
"The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok
In April, Zest Piano Bar will launch its new open-air terrace. The Terrace will offer patrons the same cool cocktails, refreshing lagers and personalised service of Zest Piano Bar but now with the option to savour a beverage al fresco.

From what I could tell when I wandered by the door to the Terrace with Dr. HFH it would appear that they've added a glass wall with a glass counter on which you can sit your drinks. This adds a pretty narrow space beyond the windows of the Zest Piano Bar.

On Sunday of last weekend the Executive lounge at the WGS was closed. They appeared to be doing a bit of painting. I also noticed a sign that said that the Horizons Karaoke bar on the 25th or 26th floor would be closed for a while. I never knew it was open so I asked about it. Apparently there is a plan to perform a good deal of renovations upstairs and move the Executive Lounge to the top floor closer to the end of 2009. Also in the room I noticed the day bed had been reupholstered and they have switched to a Westin La Spa amenities. I'm sorry to see the oatmeal soap has disappeared.

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery...1206.sized.jpg

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery...1205.sized.jpg

Keyser Apr 18, 2009 7:35 am

i don't know if anyone has mentioned the plaza athénée bangkok, a royal méridien hotel during this thread but i have stayed there twice & i think its a great hotel....the first time was last year when i had gold status with spg & i was upgraded to a jr. suite & the next time was a couple of months ago when i got upgraded to a deluxe suite thanks to my platinum status....the hotel itself is quite centrally located & both times i managed to get my room for under $120 a night....being on wireless road makes it very easily accessible to the various shopping malls via a short taxi ride & there are a number of restaurants & cafes within walking distance of the hotel....

sdcarver Apr 18, 2009 9:37 am

Originally Posted by saad (Post 11602227)
i don't know if anyone has mentioned the plaza athénée bangkok, a royal méridien hotel during this thread but i have stayed there twice & i think its a great hotel....the first time was last year when i had gold status with spg & i was upgraded to a jr. suite & the next time was a couple of months ago when i got ungraded to a deluxe suite thanks to my platinum status....the hotel itself is quite centrally located & both times i managed to get my room for under $120 a night....being on wireless road makes it very easily accessible to the various shopping malls via a short taxi ride & there are a number of restaurants & cafes within walking distance of the hotel....

Agreed, I stayed there in March and had a wonderful experience. Nice room, great breakfast downstairs as platinum.

sdcarver

terminalfive Apr 25, 2009 2:01 pm

BKK hotels - which is the best?

Off the BKK in June. Normally stay in the Penninsula but want to try an SPG hotel. Which is the best?
Forgetting location which isn't the most important thing I would like a pool and if possibile a health club / gym. Pool essential though..

Please let me know your thoughts!!;)

sdcarver Apr 25, 2009 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by terminalfive (Post 11643251)
Off the BKK in June. Normally stay in the Penninsula but want to try an SPG hotel. Which is the best?
Forgetting location which isn't the most important thing I would like a pool and if possibile a health club / gym. Pool essential though..

Please let me know your thoughts!!;)

Based on your criteria the SGS Sukhumvit would fit the bill excellent Pool--an oasis in such a busy city.

sdcarver

BonViveur Apr 25, 2009 8:29 pm

SGS Man

To add to all the pages of consensus, I have stayed at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit over 30 times and it is my favourite, by far, even without the upgrades.

I love the service - the staff always know when to expect regular guests, my room (so far always Suite upgrade) always has my preferences of extra pillows, emptied mini-bar, etc.

The Grande Deluxe benefits of breakfast at the pool or the great Orchid Cafe buffet, the drinks and jazz in the evening, the included internet, the butler service with coffee/tea/softdrinks in the room or the Library, the 3 pcs of laundry (per person) are great extras.

The fantastic GM, Richard Chapman, who runs a tight ship, the fact that the hotel hosts many conferences, meaning the service charge share the staff receive is higher than most in BKK and keeps them all happy, the unbelievable rainforest pool in the middle of a busy city, great spa and the bridge connecting directly to the BTS and MRT plus Times Square (Starbucks for those who need it), Robinson (McDonalds and supermarket) and the easy of access by public transport and arriving/leaving the city by car due to the proximity to the motorway all combine to make this the hotel of choice for me and my clients.

I will be trying Le Meridien, the new one on Surawongse Rd next month for 2 nights before moving to the SGS but I will be hard to convert.

Previous stays at the ROS and WGS have disappointed although I will try them sometime to check the Platinum benefits.

Reefdiver Apr 25, 2009 10:14 pm

As a regular at the SGS, I have the give Plaza Athenee Props.. They just opened their happy hour benefit to the hotel bars (kind of like the Sheraton) and Breakfast at the buffet instead of lounge. These are big improvments, and will win my business as they are running at low occupancy, and lower rates than the SGS...

terminalfive Apr 26, 2009 7:17 am

Originally Posted by sdcarver (Post 11643435)
Based on your criteria the SGS Sukhumvit would fit the bill excellent Pool--an oasis in such a busy city.

sdcarver

Thanks Sdcarver and SGS man - following your valuable advice I went straight to spg.com to book the room. The only wierd thing was the different price options... For some very odd reason the "luxury" package where they give you a bottle of champagne and flowers etc is cheaper than most other deals because it clearly states that all extra taxes are included. This means that there is virtually no advantage in paying in advance - this luxury option is much better and is changeable..
Decided to go for grande deluxe because this time I really do want to be gauranteed my decent room - although platinum very rarely lets me down..

Lets hope I get my late checkout after 4 pm - as with most Europe bound flights my flight leaves BKK very late and a 8 pm checkout would be very appreciated:)
I let you all know in June how it went - thanks again

BonViveur Apr 26, 2009 7:22 am

Originally Posted by terminalfive (Post 11645979)
Thanks Sdcarver and SGS man - following your valuable advice I went straight to spg.com to book the room. The only wierd thing was the different price options... For some very odd reason the "luxury" package where they give you a bottle of champagne and flowers etc is cheaper than most other deals because it clearly states that all extra taxes are included. This means that there is virtually no advantage in paying in advance - this luxury option is much better and is changeable..
Decided to go for grande deluxe because this time I really do want to be gauranteed my decent room - although platinum very rarely lets me down..

Lets hope I get my late checkout after 4 pm - as with most Europe bound flights my flight leaves BKK very late and a 8 pm checkout would be very appreciated:)
I let you all know in June how it went - thanks again

Hi T5,

I would change the res. if you can. The ONLY difference between Deluxe and Grande Deluxe rooms are the inclusions. The rooms are identical (maybe the shampoo is diffeent). If you are Platinum and do not get the suite upgrade, you will def get the Grande Deluxe benefits. 100%. To reiterate, Grande Deluxe is a Deluxe room with the Grande Deluxe benefits.

terminalfive Apr 26, 2009 7:32 am

Originally Posted by RichardKopf (Post 11645997)
Hi T5,

I would change the res. if you can. The ONLY difference between Deluxe and Grande Deluxe rooms are the inclusions. The rooms are identical (maybe the shampoo is diffeent). If you are Platinum and do not get the suite upgrade, you will def get the Grande Deluxe benefits. 100%. To reiterate, Grande Deluxe is a Deluxe room with the Grande Deluxe benefits.

Great advise Richard K! Thanks!
Yea - I can change it and I've just checked - that saves me 1200 BHT per night - great!! I'll invest that on a couple of nice dinners!!
^^^
Looking forward to this trip now:)
Thanks again

reiner Apr 26, 2009 10:55 am

Now I had the 24th stay at SGS. As a plat. member I nearly always got a grand suite. Late check-out 7pm never was a problem. After 7pm sometimes I had to pay the half room-rate, sometimes free of charge but I always booked the hotel car to the airport about 9pm.

seanthepilot Apr 29, 2009 6:23 am

I am staying at the new Le Meridian Hotel and it's fabulous.

They have dropped their rates and are now the lowest priced SGP in BKK (or close to it) and I decided to stay with them for the 1st time to encourage the lower rates.

Great suite without asking on arrival. Breakfast is awesome and included for Platinums, as is a small appetizer in the 4th floor lounge during cocktail hour.

All in all a great property worth checking out! ^

yosithezet Apr 29, 2009 6:47 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot (Post 11663626)
They have dropped their rates and are now the lowest priced SGP in BKK (or close to it) and I decided to stay with them for the 1st time to encourage the lower rates.

What rate are you paying and how did you find it? On SPG.com I'm seeing the Plaza Athenee as the cheapest.